Mitchell Moses Suspension Thread

I don't see the difference, things are said on the field to piss someone off and get a reaction sometimes, Ennis, Reynolds do it every game. IMO it's only that he said the word 'gay' in his sentence that this reaction has been sparked. It's been made into something it didn't need to be.

Absolutely that's why. Well done you absolute genius. If Moses had called him a "[This word has been automatically removed]ing n******" or a "[This word has been automatically removed]ing Ab*" or said "you're like a black c***" there would have been similar outrage.

Are you serious that you don't understand the different between a generic cuss and a cuss that draws upon a derogatory remarks about a segment of the population?

Your post is just ridiculous.

If someone called me a 'hetro c…" I could not care less

even if called a " gay c...." , still couldn't care

especially in the heat of a contest, I think all types of sledging are generally taken and given as part of the deal

this is not to say such behaviour is attractive or desirable, ....is just the way it is

the whining softc....ks in this world give me the willies, and bring us all into their sphere of a type weakness...fearfulness. Which is not really a constructive or useful thing

@TimmyB said:
I don't see the difference, things are said on the field to piss someone off and get a reaction sometimes, Ennis, Reynolds do it every game. IMO it's only that he said the word 'gay' in his sentence that this reaction has been sparked. It's been made into something it didn't need to be.

Absolutely that's why. Well done you absolute genius. If Moses had called him a "[automatically edited] n******" or a "[automatically edited] Ab*" or said "you're like a black c***" there would have been similar outrage.

Are you serious that you don't understand the different between a generic cuss and a cuss that draws upon a derogatory remarks about a segment of the population?

The world and whats right & wrong and correct is changing all the time at a rapid rate, its difficult sometime to keep up with everything thats 'correct' now
Get over yourself Tmmy…we are ALL learning, these mistakes are happening constantly, even from 19 yo's...its from these errors we all (well most) learn a bit more

I recall from my youth the refrain "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me". Good old fashioned wisdom. Ridiculous over reaction but from the NRL that is what we have come to expect.

And I have absolutely no time for someone who can't see why 'wanker' and 'gay c***' are not analogous.

@strrretch said:
If someone called me a 'hetro c…" I could not care less

even if called a " gay c...." , still couldn't care

especially in the heat of a contest, I think all types of sledging are generally taken and given as part of the deal

this is not to say such behaviour is attractive or desirable, ....is just the way it is

the whining softc....ks in this world give me the willies, and bring us all into their sphere of a type weakness...fearfulness. Which is not really a constructive or useful thing

Seems there's been a lot of f***ing whining from people who don't agree with the decision.

It is not whinging to ask that people not infer a group of society is of a lesser standing by using a term to describe them as an insult.
Unfortunately Gay people still get a hard time and face challenges that we don't.
I m glad the NRL took a stance.

A generation or so ago, many were saying that "blacks" were whining about being not allowed to have the same rights as us, those views are seen as abhorrent now, I hope one day it is the same with homosexuality

@TimmyB said:

Absolutely that's why. Well done you absolute genius. If Moses had called him a "[automatically edited] n******" or a "[automatically edited] Ab*" or said "you're like a black c***" there would have been similar outrage.

Seeing you're obviously apart of the cuss police, and know what's ok to say and what isn't, and clearly feel the need to disagree with anything apart from your own personal opinion on the matter feel free to take time out of your day to pm me a list of what you believe is acceptable sledging, swearing, name-calling on a football field. Moses didn't call him the names you've stated above.

I've replied to all your points, you've responded with one paragraph? I clearly stated in one or more paragraphs that it wasn't a nice comment. But if you happened to bother to read the entire thing you would've noticed that I asked you to explain to me what the difference is between calling a person a f*****g gay c**t (who may, or may not actually be gay) and a kid who may have issues with either their weight/looks etc or be in some form of depression who's been called similar names in the heat of the moment?

That was one of the scenarios I gave you, and you come back at me saying I don't know the difference between a generic cuss? The truth is, you'll never know the effect you have on someone until you say something that hurts them, it may seem small to you, but have a pretty severe impact on their lives. **You don't get to decide what's generic**. People kill themselves for being called fat! People kill themselves because kids at school tell them 'no one likes them.' There's not a particular right or wrong, but it's life, it's work, it's school, it's footy, it happens, so you need to harden up and get over it, stop living in the fantasy everyone's always going to say 'how nice you look today' or 'wow you've lost weight'. People talk crap sometimes.

I never once said what Mitch did was right. I just don't see the need for a media beat up, or dragging kids names across radio and television serves a purpose. He made a mistake and said something many say everyday when he was in the heat of the moment. He's apologised, it should've been left at that. But again in response to you, yes, I believe that calling someone what Mitch did is equal too saying 'you're a fat c' to someone who may be struggling with weight problems or some of the above sentences I've used. It's all the same, it just annoys me that purely because the word 'gay' was thrown in, nothing else matters. It's all of a sudden a 'gay attack.' Which is normally never the case at all, just a wrong choice of words. The minority that you say Gays are, are actually supported by the majority of straight people in this day and age, and it's normally many older generations who don't because they are set in their ways, and that's their decision which I also respect.

I don't understand why people are trying to move this discussion away from the words that were actually said.
'People kill themselves for being called far c*****'. Ummm…. Nobody has disputed that? That's not what's on discussion? The fact is that an insult was used in which someone was attacked on the basis of their sexuality. Whether or not Moses intended to offend any gay people, he still took their life and everything they are, and implied an inferiority. The public dragging by media is necessary. He might be a sweet kid, but he messed up. Him making a mistake doesn't excuse the fact that he acted carelessly and in doing so acted offensively and oppressively, and needs to be pulled back into line.

That being said, there is a difference between attacks on weight and sexuality. A massive one. Overweight individuals were never used as kindling for 'witches' because they weren't viewed as good enough to be burned at the stake. Overweight individuals were never denied basic rights at government levels, or even outlawed in countries around the world. Overweight people didn't have their most prominent political advocates shot down and killed. Rather, those who advocate for healthy bodies are embraced and supported by the community largely. It's because of the impact these types of things have had on our society; the wide ranging acceptance of homophobia in societies around the world that attacks on sexuality are worse than ones on weight. This is why we can't let kids (especially those who are largely in the public spotlight) use terms based on sexuality to attack or intimidate those they oppose.

_Posted using RoarFEED V.4_

@tigertye said:
@TimmyB said:

Seeing you're obviously apart of the cuss police, and know what's ok to say and what isn't, and clearly feel the need to disagree with anything apart from your own personal opinion on the matter feel free to take time out of your day to pm me a list of what you believe is acceptable sledging, swearing, name-calling on a football field. Moses didn't call him the names you've stated above.

I've replied to all your points, you've responded with one paragraph? I clearly stated in one or more paragraphs that it wasn't a nice comment. But if you happened to bother to read the entire thing you would've noticed that I asked you to explain to me what the difference is between calling a person a f*****g gay c**t (who may, or may not actually be gay) and a kid who may have issues with either their weight/looks etc or be in some form of depression who's been called similar names in the heat of the moment?

That was one of the scenarios I gave you, and you come back at me saying I don't know the difference between a generic cuss? The truth is, you'll never know the effect you have on someone until you say something that hurts them, it may seem small to you, but have a pretty severe impact on their lives. **You don't get to decide what's generic**. People kill themselves for being called fat! People kill themselves because kids at school tell them 'no one likes them.' There's not a particular right or wrong, but it's life, it's work, it's school, it's footy, it happens, so you need to harden up and get over it, stop living in the fantasy everyone's always going to say 'how nice you look today' or 'wow you've lost weight'. People talk crap sometimes.

I never once said what Mitch did was right. I just don't see the need for a media beat up, or dragging kids names across radio and television serves a purpose. He made a mistake and said something many say everyday when he was in the heat of the moment. He's apologised, it should've been left at that. But again in response to you, yes, I believe that calling someone what Mitch did is equal too saying 'you're a fat c' to someone who may be struggling with weight problems or some of the above sentences I've used. It's all the same, it just annoys me that purely because the word 'gay' was thrown in, nothing else matters. It's all of a sudden a 'gay attack.' Which is normally never the case at all, just a wrong choice of words. The minority that you say Gays are, are actually supported by the majority of straight people in this day and age, and it's normally many older generations who don't because they are set in their ways, and that's their decision which I also respect.

You are focusing far too much on the examples of individual's sensitivities.

That's really not why the NRL has taken action. They've taken action because they believe Moses' actions are offensive to gay men and women, and are at odds with the inclusive approach the game is trying to take.

It's really not that complicated.

Tigers holding on to talent and success always seems so tenuous…. Injuries.... In-house fighting... Never enough TPAs to offer... Poor behaviour.... Always something to keep you on the edge of your seat... That 'yet another come from behind to win' feeling....

I can't argue with the decision if they are consistent with it

Has the NRL ever been consistent with anything?!

Here is some info for people who are interested in understanding why this may be an issue beyond calling someone a wanker or a fat bastard.

http://binghamcup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Anti-homophobia-framework-low-res.pdf

This is the framework the NRL agreed to implement.

Here is an excerpt from a gay footballer:

“I love the sheer joy of kicking a goal, or winning a close match. I also love the physical
nature of contact sport, giving a successful hip and shoulder or tackling someone to the
ground and catching them holding the ball.
>
For me the language of sport has always seemed entangled with homophobia. Using
the word gay to mean ‘soft’ or ‘weak’, or slurs like ‘[This word has been automatically removed]’ and ‘poofter’ are a frequent
occurrence, whether coming from the coach, the opposition, from over the fence or
even from your own teammates.
>
When I realised I was gay this made me think the football club would be the one place
I’d never be able to come out. I would second-guess everything I said or did out of
fear my teammates would figure it out. I wouldn’t get involved in conversations about
relationships or what I was doing on the weekends, which really limited the friendships
and bonds I could have developed with my teammates during those years.
>
I would like to see greater awareness about homophobia and transphobia, including
education on what it looks like and the serious mental health impacts it can have on
people on the receiving end of it. We need people in sport to understand how they can
modify their own behaviour to be more inclusive, as well as feel empowered to call out
others who engage in homophobic behaviour and know what the right avenues are to
report incidents.

The NRL did the right thing , Mitch should ask uncle Benny what happened to G Jack at Leichhardt Oval one afternoon after he made homophobic comments to Ian Roberts , how his face and ego was shredded by a gay man. Jack eventually sued , today he wouldn't win a case like that , we have moved on with equality and peoples sexuality beyond what people thought we would.

The club needs to have him grovelling over the next two weeks to the gay community , I'm sure we have many gay supporters and maybe members who might feel strongly enough about this to withdraw their membership , no one wins.

Just being baited into saying this shows immaturity as QLD always complain about something after a loss and I'm so pissed you let them get the better of you after smashing them and playing a blinder , sad affair.

By the way that's why I wanted Brooks playing alongside you on Saturday Night , funny we thumb our noses at them not allowing Brooks to play for NSW and they get THEIRS back , well done you arrogant tools.

Of course we have gay supporters and members. I am one of them, and I will be at the game on Fri night with my partner. When I first heard this thing yesterday I hoped it was that "boofheaded" Lodge guy they were referring to, But no, it's one of our own who is the culprit.

There's a very big difference to someone being labelled a "boofhead" as I just did with Lodge and "gay" as Moses did with Bateman.

If Lodge is not a "boofhead" I doubt very much that he would feel the need to publicly clear his name by denying it. If Bateman is not gay, he probably has to make some statement (or Moses needs to explain his choice of words) to clear the air, and that's a position no person should ever be put in. That's the difference. And, it's unacceptable on Mitch's behalf. He deserves what he got. I hope he learns from it.

But, no Balmainboydug …..having him "grovelling over the next two weeks to the gay community" is as demeaning (I imagine) to Mitch as it is to the gay community.

He should just shut up, cop the penalty and learn from it. Hopefully.

Would he have been suspended if he called him a "STRAIGHT C*"…......prob not, just goes to show you cannot insult the minority in our society otherwise you end up paying for it.

Same goes for skin color......call someone a "white C*" and compare what happens if you call someone a "black C*"......you end up with two different results.

IMO....what happens on the field should stay on the field. As a youngster back in the 70's I sat inside the fence during the great wests v souths or parra games at Lidcombe oval and the stuff that used to come out of Tommy's , Dallas's & Boydy's mouth you could not print....not to mention the head stomping or the punch's thrown inside the players tunnel before the game even started.

Today its like we have all become like prima donna's

Yeah except it's not the 70's anymore

Surely no one can be shocked this has occurred. Look what is happening in the NBA with the Clippers.

I have no doubt he did not mean to offend anyone except the opposition player but he is a professional and that comes with some social responsibilities.
I think Hurrell is being hard done by at the moment but things get investigated when you are in the media.

really the NRL are a joke, and let me say up front what Moses said was wrong, but things are said in the heat of a match. But getting two weeks when the NRL dish out one week each to Sims and tagatessa, Sims went close to breaking that players jaw and big sam headbuts some one, its a joke . So what they are saying is u can hurt some one but don't say a bad word to some one cause may upset them, what a joke.

Back