Mitchell Pearce

Probably go to Melbourne and wind up playing origin.
There’s a very real possibility that his form will improve by going to a better run club.
He has the skills just like Nofa, who went to Storm and played well.
investing in juniors is only part of the solution. We need to have the ability to manage their career path, help them set goals, motivate and assist them to control their own destiny.
At some stage during their careers both Brooks and Nofa have been mentioned as possible origin players.
What happened?
What did or didn’t the club do to productively extract their skills for the club’s and their benefit.
Sorry, I can’t hang these guys out to dry. If nothing else, the club should be learning from these two.

Im sorry mate but not one of those players is currently better than Mitchell Pearce.

Mitchell Pearce is 33 as well.

If you’ve been reading through this thread I feel like you’ll notice that there is a consensus on age not necessarily being determining factor in ability for senior halves.

Toby Sexton is awful. He is so pedestrian he should be standing next to a crossing in high vis holding a stop sign.

Go and watch video on Amone from last season. He is DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE for conceding more tries with 1 on 1 missed tackles than anyone else in first grade last year. He is so unsure of his physical ability that instead of attacking a man with his fists, he went at him with a hammer. Does he sound like he’d be good for Wests Tigers? He is absolutely hopeless.

If we are going to throw the boot it lets at least get it right.
I hope you watched Sexton today. Controlled the game with his kicking, set up a try and scored the winning try.

I wish we had a half as pedestrian as him.

I hope you watched Sexton today. Controlled the game with his kicking, set up a try and scored the winning try.

I wish we had a half as pedestrian as him.
He had a good game. Credit to him. He spoke really well after the game as well.

Controlled the game with his kicking is an over step but his assist to Campbell was nice and he generally used his runners well.

If Brooksy has a good game tomorrow should I change my tune on him?

At some stage during their careers both Brooks and Nofa have been mentioned as possible origin players.

Who mentioned them ?

Tedesco became the player he did because he was coached via us. Same as JAC and the same as Korobiete.

Woods went backwards because he left us.

If he came into a rich vein of form I think everyone would have to STFU.
If you were involved in a company Earl and someone in a critical position severely underperformed regularly to the point of being a liability, well, you certainly wouldn’t tolerate it, let alone for ten years. And if, all the while, you repeatedly cited potential, it would only make you look very foolish.

As for the management who refuse to acknowledge such a liability and instead double down on their error and retain his services, they are guilty of not only wilful blindness to the point of gross negligence, but arrogant recklessness. That is, if you believe they have the best interests of the organisation at heart in the first place.
You see, by continually selecting Brooks they have angered and disgusted the main stakeholders of the club - the fans, to the point that they have lost our faith that they indeed do have the best interests of the Tigers at heart.

No one gives a sh!t about a fairytale Brooks rich vein of form anymore and no one who cares should STFU. It’s intolerable.

No one gives a sh!t about a fairytale Brooks rich vein of form anymore and no one who cares should STFU. It’s intolerable.

This is wrong. If Brooks played well from this point on I assume you would change your opinion. If not you are not a fan but a Brooks hater.

This is wrong. If Brooks played well from this point on I assume you would change your opinion. If not you are not a fan but a Brooks hater.
Let’s disagree to disagree and leave it at that.

Who mentioned them ?

Tedesco became the player he did because he was coached via us. Same as JAC and the same as Korobiete.

Woods went backwards because he left us.
So, let me see if I’ve got it right?
Players who kick on following a move to another club have us to thank for our expert coaching while those who become average should have stayed with us to further develop.

So, let me see if I’ve got it right?
Players who kick on following a move to another club have us to thank for our expert coaching while those who become average should have stayed with us to further develop.

Exactly. All of this talk can be colored however you want to do it. My opinion is that players get quality coaching at every club and become as good as their talent allows them to be.

In reference to talent I'd add that I consider the ability to work hard and to play smart footy as part of that talent.

Exactly. All of this talk can be colored however you want to do it. My opinion is that players get quality coaching at every club and become as good as their talent allows them to be.

In reference to talent I'd add that I consider the ability to work hard and to play smart footy as part of that talent.
I get it. Coaches can increase the skills of players who have the desire and ability (talent) to improve.
It’s that point which concerned me about Benji”s ability to coach..when asked what sort of coach he would be? He said .. I can’t teach these guys how to play footy, if they’re playing nrl then they know how to play, I will be more like a man manager.
I think Benji may have coached the first couple of games, maybe getting a lesson from Sheens? Moving from “l don’t know that I don’t know”?

Unpopular opinion, but a lot of these guys who "became better players" after leaving our club, didn't actually get better. They just look better because those clubs are more successful. It's quite a common line of flawed thinking where individual success and team success get conflated.

Addo-Carr wasn't picked for origin last year because the Dogs were coming last, even though he wasn't any different as a player to the guy he was in Melbourne. Fittler isn't a great selector admittedly, but a lot of people put a line through him for that reasoning which was completely stupid.

I actually think Tedesco was at his absolute best in his last years with us. That guy carried our team and would routinely score some freakish tries. Obviously still an incredible player at the Roosters, but I don't think he actually does anything better now than he used to with us except he's probably more of a leader and there's been gradual improvements in intangible aspects (e.g. reading the game, positioning, composure) which come with age and experience rather than the club you're at.

Addo-Carr is another example - Melbourne didn't make him a superstar with their coaching, they just took an extremely physically gifted guy and gave him opportunities to succeed while living through the bad. There's probably certain things which Bellamy identifies better than other coaches, but I'm certain Addo-Carr would've become a great winger here too if afforded the opportunity. Instead Taylor the dope continued to play Jordan Rankin over him.

Are you stating it's not his fault ?

I think he cops it so far beyond his mediocre ability but I think the reason he isn't successful is that he isn't that good. If he came into a rich vein of form I think everyone would have to STFU.
If he came into a rich vein of form I would be very happy for him and for us! Sadly after all this time I don’t think this will ever happen because, as you say he is a player of mediocre ability. It’s the club’s obsession with sticking with that mediocre ability in the most vital position on the field that’s riling supporters no end.

Unpopular opinion, but a lot of these guys who "became better players" after leaving our club, didn't actually get better. They just look better because those clubs are more successful. It's quite a common line of flawed thinking where individual success and team success get conflated.

Addo-Carr wasn't picked for origin last year because the Dogs were coming last, even though he wasn't any different as a player to the guy he was in Melbourne. Fittler isn't a great selector admittedly, but a lot of people put a line through him for that reasoning which was completely stupid.

I actually think Tedesco was at his absolute best in his last years with us. That guy carried our team and would routinely score some freakish tries. Obviously still an incredible player at the Roosters, but I don't think he actually does anything better now than he used to with us except he's probably more of a leader and there's been gradual improvements in intangible aspects (e.g. reading the game, positioning, composure) which come with age and experience rather than the club you're at.

Addo-Carr is another example - Melbourne didn't make him a superstar with their coaching, they just took an extremely physically gifted guy and gave him opportunities to succeed while living through the bad. There's probably certain things which Bellamy identifies better than other coaches, but I'm certain Addo-Carr would've become a great winger here too if afforded the opportunity. Instead Taylor the dope continued to play Jordan Rankin over him.

Absolutely agree.

I think you're picking players that were already good when they were here. JAC and Tedesco were both top players but Teddy chose to leave and the coaches couldn't see JAC's ability for whatever reason.

It's more the players we sign that get here and play 20-30% below the level they were playing at previous clubs, there are numerous examples: Packer, Reynolds, Mbye, BJ, Jennings, Tamou.

Latest posts

Back