Mitchell Pearce

I think you're picking players that were already good when they were here. JAC and Tedesco were both top players but Teddy chose to leave and the coaches couldn't see JAC's ability for whatever reason.

It's more the players we sign that get here and play 20-30% below the level they were playing at previous clubs, there are numerous examples: Packer, Reynolds, Mbye, BJ, Jennings, Tamou.
Adam Blair says a big hello as well...one of the best forwards in the Melb system to the worst in ours...must tell us something....

This is key to our struggles.

We have players in our side who are not fully developed NRL players. When guys like Kepaoa have a few good games, many fans take that as acceptable.

Whereas, the best sides have fully developed NRL players in most positions and a high level of performance is expected every single week.

Too many projects in our squad.
Can you imagine the outcry, when Bob Simpson was introduced as the new coach of the poor performing Australian cricket team, if he’d have said I can’t teach these guys to play cricket any better, if they have been selected then they know how to play. I’ll simply be the team motivator.
🤪

Why is he still being talked about, he’s worth 250k at best to come and help revitalise the club that made his father famous.
If he thinks he’s worth 2 cents more than that or thinks he’s too good to come home and help, than leave him in France and don’t give him a second thought.

Are you stating it's not his fault ?

I think he cops it so far beyond his mediocre ability but I think the reason he isn't successful is that he isn't that good. If he came into a rich vein of form I think everyone would have to STFU.
I think it is predominantly his fault.

Our team (every other player who isn't Luke Brooks) has no confidence that Brooks is going to use the ball well in attack - run and pass at the line, call runners on and time his ball usage (not over running them, waiting too long with the ball, run diagonal to cut off their space), throw cut outs when necessary - THIS IS CRITICAL TO SCORING POINTS - or make good last tackle options that reward them for application in the attacking half - repeat sets, bombs that land or are caught inside the opposition 10 mtr line to force hard yardage starts, grubbers that produce try scoring potential - or reward great WT yardage sets - kicks from within our own half that find the turf, 40/20s, long kicks that land or are caught inside the opposition 10 mtr line to force hard yardage starts.

This lack of confidence causes a few things to happen:

- ZERO attacking cohesion - if you have the balls to retort on this see my vest.

We don't look like scoring as a result of a build up of targeted attacking play and strategy - some of the players, Api and Bateman for example, clearly, visibly on the broadcast know this.

Look at the way Penrith, led by attack leader Nathan Cleary, surgically destroyed Manly the other night on BOTH edges! Kaeo Weeks, Kelma and Morgan Harper got eviscerated - they may as well have not played. That was an attacking game plan executed to perfection!

Have a go at Isaiya Katoa against the Cowboys the other night targeting Brendan Elliot. He is 18 years old playing his 5th game of first grade.

We cannot and don't do that. In the Knights game we couldn't even pick the short side of the ruck against 12 players for 27 minutes.

This is Luke's responsibility. To facilitate an attacking game plan that leads to point scoring. I am not asking him to be the captain, I am not asking him to do the press conference, I am not asking him to come up with the game plan - I am asking him to EXECUTE A SUCCESSFUL ATTACKING GAME PLAN - THIS IS WHAT IS EXPECTED OF EVERY SINGLE OTHER HALF ON HIS SALARY WITH OVER 10 YEARS OF FIRST GRADE EXPERIENCE WHO WEARS 7 ON THEIR BACK AT NRL LEVEL.

- Hero plays - we force plays all of the time - we aren't sure what a good attacking opportunity looks like because we don't manufacture any, which leads to players forcing passes or trying to create plays that they are not out there to do.

John Bateman's grubber against the Bulldogs is a great example of this - it was a good play sure - it also wreaked of a man who knew that his team was not going to score with the attack leaders (Brooks and Douhei) that he had on his team.

That sort of ad-lib footy is not unwelcome. But when it is an act of desperation from 1st/2nd gamer who knows his team cannot score points it is unwelcome in the sense of what it represents big picture - our players have no confidence that our team can score points so they resort to hero plays.

Hero plays only work when:

a)
You have already scored points to put yourself in a position to win the game

b) When you have players of a certain talent level who have the capability to produce those hero plays

Wests Tigers:

a)
Don't score points

b) Have any players of the requisite talent level outside Api, whose game is being ruined by our attacking ineptitude, to produce effective hero plays

- ZERO PRESSURE BUILT/FIELD POSITION AT CRITICAL JUNCTURES

We simply do not build any sustained pressure because our attacking strategy and our field position strategy are both hampered by two players whose responsibility it is to make these aspects of our game work - Luke Brooks (one who given his time spent in first grade has more responsibility) and to a lesser extent Adam Douhei, who is barely first grade standard.

When we need a repeat set, we don't get it.

When we need a kick to find the turf, we don't get it.

When we need a kick to fall inside the opposition defensive 10 for a hard yardage start, we don't get it.

40/20s - we got one against the Knights when they had 12 men on the field - we still lost the game.

Has Luke attempted another one of these since then - NO. Was it intentional - probably not. Do any of us go into a game thinking Luke Brooks might kick a 40/20 - no. By extension of this - do his team mates think that he is going to kick a 40/20 - probably not.

Do we have an attacking half attack that squares up opposition defences, with halves who play at the line in clear pods and attacking structures that create space and depth for effective outside back play - no.

Do we use the ball well through the middle opening up spaces in and around the ruck, incorporating our quicker middles with reliable passing and orchestrated set plays - no.

Do defences scramble against us when we have them on the back foot - no.

Can we pick the short numbers side of the ruck - no.

Do we isolate and expose weak players in opposition forward and back lines - no.

Do you have to make adjustments to play us - do we have clearly defined, adjustable in game strategies that we use to score points against oppositions that have set defensive patterns or targeted defensive assignments - no.

Therefore

Do we build pressure - NO.

Can score enough points to put ourselves in match winning situations - NO.

Does it look like our players know this - YES.

Is that a problem
- [This word has been automatically removed] YES IT IS.

On any other team - any other team - the half back responsible for all of the above would get dropped.

Ball in hand attack strategy (organisation, eyes up opportunities), kick strategy, good ball usage, good kick execution all fall in the lap of the halves. They will always have this responsibility if they have no others.

Luke Brooks, who has no other responsibilities, most likely because he doesn't have the tools, cannot even fulfil the basic responsibility denoted by the number he wears on his back irrespective of whether it is 6 or 7.

And the final and most awful effect this has on our football side at the moment -

Our players play like they don't look like or think they are going to win because they have zero confidence in the people whose responsibility it is to score points.

No team who have ever played any sport since sports were first organised has won without belief it its critical infrastructure having what it takes to go all the way, in a single game, in an entire competition.

Wests Tigers will never win a premiership with Luke Brooks at 7 or 6.

In 10 years, Wests Tigers have not made the top 8 of a 16 team competition with Luke Brooks playing at 7 or 6.

No player who Wests Tigers sign or blood in first grade will improve or be a better player because they have played with Luke Brooks.

Wests Tigers fans will ALWAYS be restless and divided while Luke Brooks plays for Wests Tigers.

I don't care if he plays well today, next week, for the rest of the season, he has proven to us time and time again for over a decade that he does not have what it takes not only win this competition, but to even make the top half of it.

It is time for all of us, Brooks included, to make a clean break.

I cannot remember a player having so much doubt cast on their ability by the media as I've seen with Brooks in the opening month and a bit of this season. Its not just us, its opposition fans, its the media, it is more and more people in our fan base who know that he is done as a Wests Tiger.

His career isn't over as a rugby league player - he has offers and interest from the UK. He will go over there and be great - lots of players similar to him - Jacob Miller, Brodie Croft, Matt Dufty - have all gone over and done great things. But as a Wests Tiger - he should be done.

Adam Blair says a big hello as well...one of the best forwards in the Melb system to the worst in ours...must tell us something....
That list is even way longer! Good players losing their form after signing with us has been going on for over a decade with Api and Ice about to be added if something doesn’t change soon. I’ll even say Doueihi is another one, he played well for Souths.

As an aside though I didn’t think much of Mbye & Jennings even before they came here.

Our team (every other player who isn't Luke Brooks) has no confidence that Brooks is going to use the ball well in attack - run and pass at the line, call runners on and time his ball usage (not over running them, waiting too long with the ball, run diagonal to cut off their space), throw cut outs when necessary - THIS IS CRITICAL TO SCORING POINTS - or make good last tackle options that reward them for application in the attacking half - repeat sets, bombs that land or are caught inside the opposition 10 mtr line to force hard yardage starts, grubbers that produce try scoring potential - or reward great WT yardage sets - kicks from within our own half that find the turf, 40/20s, long kicks that land or are caught inside the opposition 10 mtr line to force hard yardage starts.

- ZERO attacking cohesion - if you have the balls to retort on this see my vest.

We don't look like scoring as a result of a build up of targeted attacking play and strategy - some of the players, Api and Bateman for example, clearly, visibly on the broadcast know this.

Look at the way Penrith, led by attack leader Nathan Cleary, surgically destroyed Manly the other night on BOTH edges! Kaeo Weeks, Kelma and Morgan Harper got eviscerated - they may as well have not played. That was an attacking game plan executed to perfection!

Have a go at Isaiya Katoa against the Cowboys the other night targeting Brendan Elliot. He is 18 years old playing his 5th game of first grade.

We cannot and don't do that. In the Knights game we couldn't even pick the short side of the ruck against 12 players for 27 minutes.

This is Luke's responsibility. To facilitate an attacking game plan that leads to point scoring. I am not asking him to be the captain, I am not asking him to do the press conference, I am not asking him to come up with the game plan - I am asking him to EXECUTE A SUCCESSFUL ATTACKING GAME PLAN - THIS IS WHAT IS EXPECTED OF EVERY SINGLE OTHER HALF ON HIS SALARY WITH OVER 10 YEARS OF FIRST GRADE EXPERIENCE WHO WEARS 7 ON THEIR BACK AT NRL LEVEL.

- Hero plays - we force plays all of the time - we aren't sure what a good attacking opportunity looks like because we don't manufacture any, which leads to players forcing passes or trying to create plays that they are not out there to do.

John Bateman's grubber against the Bulldogs is a great example of this - it was a good play sure - it also wreaked of a man who knew that his team was not going to score with the attack leaders (Brooks and Douhei) that he had on his team.

That sort of ad-lib footy is not unwelcome. But when it is an act of desperation from 1st/2nd gamer who knows his team cannot score points it is unwelcome in the sense of what it represents big picture - our players have no confidence that our team can score points so they resort to hero plays.

a)

b) When you have players of a certain talent level who have the capability to produce those hero plays

Wests Tigers:

a)
Don't score points

b) Have any players of the requisite talent level outside Api, whose game is being ruined by our attacking ineptitude, to produce effective hero plays

We simply do not build any sustained pressure because our attacking strategy and our field position strategy are both hampered by two players whose responsibility it is to make these aspects of our game work - Luke Brooks (one who given his time spent in first grade has more responsibility) and to a lesser extent Adam Douhei, who is barely first grade standard.

When we need a kick to fall inside the opposition defensive 10 for a hard yardage start, we don't get it.

40/20s - we got one against the Knights when they had 12 men on the field - we still lost the game.

Has Luke attempted another one of these since then - NO. Was it intentional - probably not. Do any of us go into a game thinking Luke Brooks might kick a 40/20 - no. By extension of this - do his team mates think that he is going to kick a 40/20 - probably not.

Do we have an attacking half attack that squares up opposition defences, with halves who play at the line in clear pods and attacking structures that create space and depth for effective outside back play - no.

Do we use the ball well through the middle opening up spaces in and around the ruck, incorporating our quicker middles with reliable passing and orchestrated set plays - no.

Do we isolate and expose weak players in opposition forward and back lines - no.

Do you have to make adjustments to play us - do we have clearly defined, adjustable in game strategies that we use to score points against oppositions that have set defensive patterns or targeted defensive assignments - no.

Therefore

Is that a problem

On any other team - any other team - the half back responsible for all of the above would get dropped.

Ball in hand attack strategy (organisation, eyes up opportunities), kick strategy, good ball usage, good kick execution all fall in the lap of the halves. They will always have this responsibility if they have no others.

Luke Brooks, who has no other responsibilities, most likely because he doesn't have the tools, cannot even fulfil the basic responsibility denoted by the number he wears on his back irrespective of whether it is 6 or 7.

And the final and most awful effect this has on our football side at the moment -

Our players play like they don't look like or think they are going to win because they have zero confidence in the people whose responsibility it is to score points.

No team who have ever played any sport since sports were first organised has won without belief it its critical infrastructure having what it takes to go all the way, in a single game, in an entire competition.

In 10 years, Wests Tigers have not made the top 8 of a 16 team competition with Luke Brooks playing at 7 or 6.

No player who Wests Tigers sign or blood in first grade will improve or be a better player because they have played with Luke Brooks.

Wests Tigers fans will ALWAYS be restless and divided while Luke Brooks plays for Wests Tigers.

I don't care if he plays well today, next week, for the rest of the season, he has proven to us time and time again for over a decade that he does not have what it takes not only win this competition, but to even make the top half of it.

I cannot remember a player having so much doubt cast on their ability by the media as I've seen with Brooks in the opening month and a bit of this season. Its not just us, its opposition fans, its the media, it is more and more people in our fan base who know that he is done as a Wests Tiger.

His career isn't over as a rugby league player - he has offers and interest from the UK. He will go over there and be great - lots of players similar to him - Jacob Miller, Brodie Croft, Matt Dufty - have all gone over and done great things. But as a Wests Tiger - he should be done.
Brilliant,,, word for word I agree with the entirety! 🙏👏

a)

Wests Tigers:

a)
Don't score points

Therefore

Is that a problem

Our team (every other player who isn't Luke Brooks) has no confidence that Brooks is going to use the ball well in attack

I'm just waiting for someone in the team to finally have enough and give Brooks a massive Moses style spray after one of his usual 10+ stuff ups a game. Will be glorious and should make the seasons highlight cut.

Mitchell Pearce politely declined an offer in March to join the Wests Tigers this season but the Catalans Dragons playmaker is not done with the NRL just yet.

Mitchell, 34, is open to a swansong season in the NRL and has not closed the door on joining the Tigers, or any other suitor from season 2024.

The Tigers only have one playmaker on the books for next year, Adam Doueihi, who is currently out with an ACL injury. Luke Brooks and Brandon Wakeham are unsigned beyond this season.

“I’m still open,” the former Roosters premiership winner told SEN.

“I’ll wait and see what happens. The Tigers thing came up. I declined on that, and I was really grateful. It was nice respect from the Tigers but I’m committed here.

“We’ll wait and see what happens next year.

“I still feel like I have got some footy in me there though.”

Latest posts

Back