Mixing Footy and Gambling

clokan

I saw on the Sydney Morning Herald website that a gambling reform senate committee has asked for Nine to explain the presence of Tom Waterhouse on the commentary panel. In the article Nick Xenophon is quoted to have said: ''Tom Waterhouse has pushed the envelope to the extent that it has now got to the point that it's out of control and there needs to be a legislative response.''

I hope something becomes of this, I'm personally sick of the seeing odds on the footy show and during the game. If you want live odds I'm sure punters can get them via the app they bet with, placing them on TV is only to temp people to bet and condition us to accept betting on sport.
\
\
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/waterhouses-multimillion-dollar-nrl-deal-put-under-microscope-20130319-2gckp.html#ixzz2NyTiHkm9

Couldn't agree more. There must be better ways for channel 9 to make money out of NRL.
For me, Tom Waterhouse isn't the way foward.

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

There is a place for betting in League, but they need to get rid of all the exotic markets like half time markets and first scoring play etc, those markets are destined for trouble

Also would be nice to have that smug little pissant Tom Waterhouse off my screen

That's all well and good, but they should ban it from being screened during the game.

It's a real shame when the likes of Rabs Warren is spruiking odds during the game, given his well known battle with gambling addiction.

@GNR4LIFE said:
There is a place for betting in League, but they need to get rid of all the exotic markets like half time markets and first scoring play etc, those markets are destined for trouble

Also would be nice to have that smug little pissant Tom Waterhouse off my screen

Ironic we advertise gambling but then look down on anyone whos admits they have a gambling problem?????

Football has become so boring that without any monetry involvement I cannot watch it.

I like to have a bet on 1st and last tryscorer but I definitely agree that there is sports-betting overkill in the TV coverage on both Fox and 9\. I'm over the advertising side of it for sure! People know the option to bet is there….no need to flood the game coverage with it.

Its not good.

Remember the last thing that was ''normalised''?

Cigarettes and its advertising where everywhere once upon a time.

I know the two are slightly different, everyone is harmed by cigarettes where some CAN gamble without any serious consequences….its not right tho that young people will grow up and think the two automatically go hand in hand....

@Fade To Black said:
I like to have a bet on 1st and last tryscorer but I definitely agree that there is sports-betting overkill in the TV coverage on both Fox and 9\. I'm over the advertising side of it for sure! People know the option to bet is there….**no need to flood the game coverage with it**.

Wrong

If advertising didnt work they wouldnt do it.
Its the one offs…like last weeks 4/1 odds of benji scoring a try at any time against Penrith....these are the ones that get the new customers.

@innsaneink said:
@Fade To Black said:
I like to have a bet on 1st and last tryscorer but I definitely agree that there is sports-betting overkill in the TV coverage on both Fox and 9\. I'm over the advertising side of it for sure! People know the option to bet is there….**no need to flood the game coverage with it**.

Wrong

**If advertising didnt work they wouldnt do it.**
Its the one offs…like last weeks 4/1 odds of benji scoring a try at any time against Penrith....these are the ones that get the new customers.

Well, yeah, that is obvious. As far as the Benji odds and stuff goes, people who are religious punters on the games would already know that information, what I am trying to say is they ruin the game itself and it's coverage by constantly referring to odds etc- where does it stop? Odds change from one minute to the next…are they going to start telling us the updated odds after every set of 6?

By all means give some odds on various things before kick-off but let people chase the updated odds etc up for themselves if that is their want.

I can't see it lasting to long. It's way to much now. It needs to go.

If the players want to gamble responsibly on the ponies ,that sort of thing no issues

But the game is basically wanting to make money from exotic markets is the issue as we have seen

As usual with anything we complicate anything and make it risky for an extra buck

Who can remember back when Lotto was only Saturday ??

Me and the old man loved the punt back in the day ,put half a dozen well thought out bets :roll and the occasional double or treble

Sometimes I think it is human nature to try and destroy ourselves anyway we can

I am totally over how society and in particular sport has sold out to gambling… The NRL in 2013 is ruined by the constant reference to betting markets for this and that... Why have sporting bodies and governments allowed this to happen... Just go back 5-7 years and notice the HUGE difference in sports coverage... I hate the path NRL and sport has taken...

@alexaki said:
I am totally over how society and in particular sport has sold out to gambling… The NRL in 2013 is ruined by the constant reference to betting markets for this and that... Why have sporting bodies and governments allowed this to happen... Just go back 5-7 years and notice the HUGE difference in sports coverage... I hate the path NRL and sport has taken...

Now that the media owns the NRL' the game is turning into a USA pro game,
Its loosing its identity…. And we thought it would improve the game, like anywhere the more money, the more trouble to deal with.

@Guest said:
@alexaki said:

Now that the media owns the NRL' the game is turning into a USA pro game,
Its loosing its identity…. And we thought it would improve the game, like anywhere the more money, the more trouble to deal with.

And the NRL will only have itself to blame when a major scandal does more damage to the game

I find it absolutely hilarious how The NRL wonders why we don't show up to watch games or become members in increasing numbers on one hand and then treats us with absolute contempt on the other hand with not listening to their customers
Never seen a business run this way and expect to survive and prosper long term

I am so sick of seeing his stupid head on Channel Nine's coverage. Within the space of five minutes on the Sunday coverage there was an ad when he was talking about refunding bets on first tryscorer, then he was giving a PREVIEW for the Manly-Newcastle game. I don't even want to talk about the Thursday and Friday coverage.

It's there not to convince you to bet but to convince you to bet with a particular bookmaker. 5 years ago it was TAB and centrebet phone or account holders only. Diehard punters. Online gambling has opened the world up and made it accessible to anyone with a smart phone and up. It's a lucrative and extremely competitive business, hence the hundreds if exotics available. the real spinner is the "get your money back" exotics. These make more money for the books than half of sll the other exotics combined. People practically see them as free bets. and its all here to stay I'm afraid. The money brings in a shitload if coin to our game like it or not and the bookies make a shit load of money from us the punters. While both parties are getting richer sports gambling and its presence will continue to flourish.

Don't believe me? Lets have bet then.

Remember his ad last year:
"I don't know how they make the big plays"

Well he has learned because he commentates now. Wtf?

@900large said:
Remember his ad last year:
"I don't know how they make the big plays"

Well he has learned because he commentates now. Wtf?

Worst still 900large

"I know what the fans want "

I know what I and every other person who places a bet wants as well ,to take him to the cleaners and empty his bank account

"Do you really think he wants that as well"

Horrible. I am not a punter however would not begrudge anyone else having a go, but to be completely over whelmed with all this gambling promotion and advertisements during a game that I love is actually turning me off from the game. I listen to Talkin Sport in the afternoons on my way home from work and that's all I hear on there now as well. It's like I'm listening to the horse racing. I've stopped listening to that now. It's a blight on the game.

Members online

Back