My BENJI 2024 Expectations!

BUGSY MALONE

Given that Wests Tigers had achieved only 4 wins in both 2022 &2023 (whilst winning the Wooden Spoons) I believed that BENJI needed to win a minimum of 8 games to keep the Wolves at bay. I based these expectations on a few minor additions to the top 30 roster and that he would have John Morris to support him as Assistant Coach. Another 6 wins in 2024 is required to meet my high hopes and I am concerned that we face a trifecta of Spoons. The depth in the playing roster is lacking with our Wests Magpies NSW Cup side near the bottom. Do other forum members believe we can win at least a further 6 games? I do think the article in the Daily Telegraph from Bulldog Ritchie is accurate.

We’re not winning 6 more games. 4 tops. Benji’s job is safe for this year, and probably for next. My concern is if in ’26 it’s clear he’s not cutting it, how do the playing group react if he gets the tap on the shoulder. Because the players love him, and the players he’s signing are coming here predominantly to play under him.

We’re not winning 6 more games. 4 tops. Benji’s job is safe for this year, and probably for next. My concern is if in ’26 it’s clear he’s not cutting it, how do the playing group react if he gets the tap on the shoulder. Because the players love him, and the players he’s signing are coming here predominantly to play under him.
He’s already improved our defence and the pride we play with. With some attacking players coming and some young guys another year older, only injuries will stop big improvement next year.

To be fair to Benji - I don’t believe anyone was expecting miracles. What I see are green shoots of improved performance and attitude. We may not be winning but apart from a couple of games we have pushed higher rated opponents, not had blow out score and remained in the contest.

I think the wins will come (not sure how many) but I feel we have turned the corner from being a rabble. We do need to learn to win but I think we are learning to compete which is the precursor to winning.

To be fair to Benji - I don’t believe anyone was expecting miracles. What I see are green shoots of improved performance and attitude. We may not be winning but apart from a couple of games we have pushed higher rated opponents, not had blow out score and remained in the contest.
Has the attitude really been better though? We’ve had weeks where we have shown some real heart, but we’ve always had patches of games over the years where we have really had a go. We’ve still had some real stinkers against the Dragons and Broncos and Raiders.

Has the attitude really been better though? We’ve had weeks where we have shown some real heart, but we’ve always had patches of games over the years where we have really had a go. We’ve still had some real stinkers against the Dragons and Broncos and Raiders.
If/when teams start putting 30 plus points on us before half time again, I’ll take your point. Which could still happen with our poor depth.

We are playing gritty, but lack strike weapons.

If we move the ball we can score tries.How many times have you said to yourself one more pass and where through
Mate the guys who score tries in this league don’t just fall over the line. The wingers need to be acrobatic geniuses these days. Compare our backs to the top sides, it’s chalk and cheese.

Mate the guys who score tries in this league don’t just fall over the line. The wingers need to be acrobatic geniuses these days. Compare our backs to the top sides, it’s chalk and cheese.
Charlie Staines would have been really handy in 1997.

Doeither of you agree with me that we don't move the ball enough to much 5 hit ups and a kick.
Early in games I get it, the theory is complete high and win the arm wrestle then when you’re on top, and the other team gets tired the game will open up. Problem is when the other team has the same plan and they get on top early, there’s no plan B. We simply don’t have the class players to play a Broncos style of expansive footy. Reece Walsh, Mamm and Cobbo are just freakish athletes who make stuff happen. Our backs are either really young or just plain (maybe) middling first graders at best.

Luai and Turuva can’t come soon enough.

Back