New coach by weekend????

AmericanHistoryX

WESTS Tigers could be ready to appoint a new coach by the weekend, with a board meeting to discuss the final five candidates to be held tonight.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Anthony Griffin, Nathan Brown, Jason Taylor, and current assistant coaches, David Kidwell and Todd Payten, have all been interviewed for the vacant role.

The interviews started last weekend, just days after Mick Potter was told his contract would not be renewed beyond this season.

Currently in England coaching St Helens, Brown spoke to the sub committee of the new five-person board over the telephone, while sacked Broncos coach Anthony Griffin travelled from Queensland to appear personally.

While it’s possible the board — now controlled by three NRL-appointed directors — could make a call on Thursday night, an announcement is not expected for some days until final conditions and salary are finalised.

Tim Brasher backs Anthony Griffin to coach Wests Tigers

Both Payten and Kidwell are not contracted beyond October 31, meaning they will need to find another club should the committee prefer an external candidate. The Tigers have already lost Under 20s coach Andrew Webster to New Zealand, and have no other significant football department staff on contract.

The club is also on the lookout for a new football manager, however this person will have no influence over the new head coach.

Did anyone else catch the Ray Hadley show this morning? His mail is Nathan Brown is the front runner for the job, the board was impressed with his interview. Followed by Griffin, Payten, Kidwell and Taylor.

Man I watched classic match on fox st George v Penrith semi when brown coaching.. boy st George sucked big time especially with their roster. Hope brown has improved since then. Team were playing as individuals.

So that was the question I meant to ask last week

I know they would only be minor duties , but who is in charge as far as coaches is concerned until October 31 ??

High hopes it'll happen so soon, but it would be good to get some certainty in place asap.
Please let it be an ex-Broncos coach over an ex-super league coach.
This place desperately needs some big league mindset.

If its not Griffin or Folkes, we should really have stuck with Potter for another season.

Hmm..thought they were going to announce the GM of footy ops first at the GF luncheon next Friday then the Coach after that…could be wrong...then could be the telecrap throwing darts again...love the old Daily Telegraph can reveal line...always a gooden

@Geo. said:
Hmm..thought they were going to announce the GM of footy ops first at the GF luncheon next Friday then the Coach after that…could be wrong...then could be the telecrap throwing darts again...love the old Daily Telegraph can reveal line...always a gooden

I thought the same thing before reading the final line of the telegraph report. I'd imagine the GM would already have been appointed and would be working on the selection of the coach, but isn't going to be named publicly until the GF Luncheon purely for ceremonial purposes.
The sooner we get it all sorted the better. Realistically we're just over a month away from the start of offseason training.

@NJLM78 said:
If its not Griffin or Folkes, we should really have stuck with Potter for another season.

yes that would have worked, the team lay down for the last 1/2 of the season and you want him to continue for another season, thank god they sacked him. in saying that i have no idea who would best suit us going forward, but it has to be a hard nose coach would will take no shit from the players.

This is just journo's clutching at straws and trying to put 2+2 together.

The board is meeting, therefore the must be making a final decision!? Pfft. Or they could be meeting to discuss the GM role, to have a general overview of where things are at thus far, or anything else they desire.

The board will meet on a regular basis. A decision shouldn't be expected after every time they meet…

@Balmain Boy said:
This is just journo's clutching at straws and trying to put 2+2 together.

The board is meeting, therefore the must be making a final decision!? Pfft. Or they could be meeting to discuss the GM role, to have a general overview of where things are at thus far, or anything else they desire.

The board will meet on a regular basis. A decision shouldn't be expected after every time they meet…

Based on how many stories that have been written that have not eventuated - I would have to agree. We may need to be patient a little longer yet.

@littletiger said:
Man I watched classic match on fox st George v Penrith semi when brown coaching.. boy st George sucked big time especially with their roster. Hope brown has improved since then. Team were playing as individuals.

He only got them to two pre-lim finals. They really sucked.

@AmericanHistoryX said:
The Tigers have already lost Under 20s coach Andrew Webster to New Zealand, and have no other significant football department staff on contract.

This is probably the most positive piece of info from the entire article.

My gut tells me Brown will get the gig. Wouldn't mind seeing Folkes get the Football Operations Manager role either.

If they do appoint Brown to be coach, I hope they checked with Robbie first.

@Bengal Tiger said:
Did anyone else catch the Ray Hadley show this morning? His mail is Nathan Brown is the front runner for the job, the board was impressed with his interview. Followed by Griffin, Payten, Kidwell and Taylor.

If Hadley didn't mention Parish he must be right !!

Griffin was close to securing the job before Potter and that should be one good point.
Secondly he has mentored some good young players and they are playing NRL.
Thirdly if the club has internal issues it would make sense to appoint Griffin.
Hook. Could be what some players get if they overreach in 2015.
With our batch of juniors I personally think he is the right choice to bring them to the next level and he should be considered seriously before anyone else.

@littletiger said:

You mean you watched a game where he got them to the semis?

The semi finals you mean?

That must of been one of the four seasons he got them to the semi finals during his six years there.

Imagine that…semi finals

Latest posts

Members online

Back