Next weeks team v dragons

Galvin suspended and Latu so far playing limited minutes or out altogether leaves us with a halves pairing of Sezer and Bud Sullivan, the later player many on the forum want gone 5 games into the season.
People aren’t talking about Bud being gone this year. It’s next year when Luai commits and we just have too many halves on board. It’s all about roster management.

Dragons will be a tough game. They are going to try & beat us with size & hard running.

This is not the game to add defenders like Kepaoa & Matamua who are not traditionally strong defenders.

Sukkar might be a limited attacking player, but holds up in defence. I'd put him on Sullivan's side because Seyfarth got steamrolled in the trial beside Sullivan.

Missing Galvin showed quickly. Sullivan was not creative enough, particularly once Api came off, clearly carrying an injury & also backing up after 2 monster efforts.

TDS instead of Simpkin, because TDS offers another attacking dimension when he comes on. That way, you can rest Api without fearing that we will just spin the wheels.

Might be a good game to start Twal at #13.

Pole, Sione Fainu, Seyfarth as the rotational forwards.
Gees I like your style of writing. Are you a pro writer of some sort?

Have to say, I've been really underwhelmed with him. I was expecting much more. Is he carrying an injury? Unfit? I hope he gets it sorted, soon!
I have always thought he would make a better middle then an edge forward
Not playing the whole 80 minutes would suit him better
I recall he wanted to be a middle at the Eels before he came to us.
Problem being we don’t have any one that looks damaging enough to play as an edge forward to allow this to happen.
We need a win this weekend to keep the confidence up as the following 2 games are against last year’s grand finalists and they wouldn’t be games I would be expecting to get a win.
Even though we beat the Panthers last year 🎉

Yea, plus while Tupou is a 'junior' and his defense will improve at the fins...
He made Nofo look good at defense!

I think we should keep the squad as close to the squad that has been performing as possible. Otherwise I would drop Tupou for Naden on the wing.
Why do you say "his defence will improve at the fins"?
I'm pretty sure John Morris is a good defensive coach and would be able to improve his defence if he listened and wanted to improve under Morris and Benji.
To me it doesn't seem that he is listening, therefore to me his heart isn't listening either. I reckon his mind is already at the Fins, so what you see is what you get.

If Sam Fainu, Latu and Bateman are all out:

1. Bula
2. Staines
3. Faataape
4. Olam
5. Tupou
6. Sullivan
7. Sezer
8. Utoikamanu
9. Koroisau (c)
10. Klemmer
11. Papali'i
12. Kepaoa
13. Pole

14. Simpkin
15. Seyfarth
16. Twal
17. Matamua/Sione Fainu
I like Simpkin on the bench

By not beating ourselves.
The Dragons have a big side and try and intimidate early with hard running and hard tackling.
You have to fight back and run and tackle just as hard as them early, once that is done they back off after 15-20 minutes.
Not much different to any other team, but the Dragons in particular don’t really have a plan B if the intimidation factor don’t work.

Rumours Lomax will be at 1. Personally I’d be kicking early and isolating him for kick returns - he will make some metres initially but think he won’t be use to the fitness levels needed and will tire quickly.

Members online

No members online now.
Back