NRL admits bunker mistake

Unfortunately and predictably, a backlash of comments against the club for not pursuing FRUITLESS litigation.

The Tigers even provide the special counsel advice - that there isn't a sufficient case to mount in court, and even if you won a case, Tigers are still second-last.

It would cost Tigers hundreds of thousands of dollars to pursue legal action. I wonder then if fans would still be upset if Tigers lost the court case, perhaps suggest that the lawyers hired were amateurs etc. etc.

Tigers have done the best we could hope for - extract a very public apology and a commitment to fix the rule that stole the match from us.

But no, all these fans in a hurry to burn the clubs limited funds on pointless legal action.
So you are happy with this result, and I did not recall seeing NRL CEO Giving a public apology on the Channel 9 news.

BUT WHY HAS THE INFORMATION PROMISED TO THE CLUB AND PUBLIC NOT BEEN RELEASED.

SOMETHING SMELL'S WITH ALL OF THIS.

IF NOTHING THAT WAS SAID BETWEEN THE REF & THE BUNKER WAS DETRIMENTAL TO THE NRL.

THEN LET US KNOW WHAT WAS SAID BETWEEN THE OFFICIALS.

Didn’t stop our chairman from beating his chest and suggesting otherwise 🙄
I believe Lee actually said they would consider legal action. Is there any quote, legitimate question, where he guaranteed Tigers would take the NRL to court?

And second question - would the fans rather Lee just kept his mouth shut and not threatened the NRL, the aftermath of the game?

He's damned if he does or does not. If he doesn't talk big, fans get upset about "wussing out", and if he does threaten, half the same fans get upset when he doesn't end up in court.

Again though, I don't see precedent as being relevant whatsoever. If this was essential for every case there would never have been a first case!
I'm not a lawyer but precedent is a very big deal in law. Yes there has to be a first case, but often the absence of a first case is itself instructive - there is a reason no case has ever been brought or won.

So you are happy with this result, and I did not recall seeing NRL CEO Giving a public apology on the Channel 9 news.

BUT WHY HAS THE INFORMATION PROMISED TO THE CLUB AND PUBLIC NOT BEEN RELEASED.

SOMETHING SMELL'S WITH ALL OF THIS.

IF NOTHING THAT WAS SAID BETWEEN THE REF & THE BUNKER WAS DETRIMENTAL TO THE NRL.

THEN LET US KNOW WHAT WAS SAID BETWEEN THE OFFICIALS.
Not happy the match result, no. Indifferent to the NRL announcement. I was basically satisfied (as possible to be) when Annesley admitted the bunker got it wrong. I did not expect any further action from Tigers or NRL, despite meetings or anything.

That the NRL entertained several meetings with Tigers to air grievances shows a willingness to take ownership of the error, particularly because Tigers bypassed the reffing body and went straight to Abdo and PVL.

We don't know for a fact the NRL didn't share ref audio with Tigers? Only that they didn't make it public, which could be as simple as wanting to put the issue to bed rather than invite the media to make shit up, as they 100% would.

You guys keep looking for a smoking gun or a sinister plot - and the media will give it to you if they get their hands on any rumours or other nonsense.

I believe Lee actually said they would consider legal action. Is there any quote, legitimate question, where he guaranteed Tigers would take the NRL to court?

And second question - would the fans rather Lee just kept his mouth shut and not threatened the NRL, the aftermath of the game?

He's damned if he does or does not. If he doesn't talk big, fans get upset about "wussing out", and if he does threaten, half the same fans get upset when he doesn't end up in court.
Hmmm

It’s not just about any possible legal action, although he made it clear that was a definite option, it’s the ‘limited’ or ‘dismissive’ NRL response and placid tigers acceptance.

2pts/error - many times he left no one in doubt what the clubs intentions/options were going forward and what he wanted

Wanted full audio - only got to listen to an extract the NRL provided at the meeting
How many legal reps would accept that as the total ‘fact’ without their own investigation

Wanted full time records, given the possible discrepancy in full time determination - ‘not mentioned again’

Raised the kick off, off side - ‘silence’

Happy for him to beat his chest as long as he follows through or provides a full explanation of the outcome of the matters HE raised/demanded

Not unreasonable I wouldn’t think

But just my view

Lee H mentioned the audio specifically as something we would request.

“I sent a letter to Graham Annesley today asking him to produce the recordings of the audio and the transcript. We need to understand what was said between the referee, bunker and players and when it was said."

He owes WTs members an explanation

I try to avoid going back through your posts.

But I am glad we are clear that anyone who thinks Tigers were actually going to end up in court was misguided. Not because Lee is a bumbler, because there's no case to be heard and it would be a waste of money.

There is no precedent for taking the NRL or NSWRL to court over a ref's decision. Not Nick Politis, not Phil Gould, not Harry Bath, Jack Gibson, Craig Bellamy or any other "powerful" rugby league person.

I doubt there are many cases worldwide, in any sport, where a ref's decision was overturned without evidence of fraud or malpractice. Even in the case of proven fraud (e.g. Hansie Cronje match-fixing, Melbourne Storm salary cap cheating) the actual results of the matches/seasons in question were not reversed.
Then why did the bumbling lawyer mention it if it was such a non-event. More grandstanding? Yep.

I still think Tigers should, if challenges remain available at fulltime, spend those challenges on fruitless / stupid challenges, to continue to ram home the point.

Challenge an obstruction in the final play, where there was no such thing.
Really surprised this hasn’t happened. I guess footy players by and large respect the integrity of the competition and don’t wish to make a joke of it.

Not happy the match result, no. Indifferent to the NRL announcement. I was basically satisfied (as possible to be) when Annesley admitted the bunker got it wrong. I did not expect any further action from Tigers or NRL, despite meetings or anything.

That the NRL entertained several meetings with Tigers to air grievances shows a willingness to take ownership of the error, particularly because Tigers bypassed the reffing body and went straight to Abdo and PVL.

We don't know for a fact the NRL didn't share ref audio with Tigers? Only that they didn't make it public, which could be as simple as wanting to put the issue to bed rather than invite the media to make shit up, as they 100% would.

You guys keep looking for a smoking gun or a sinister plot - and the media will give it to you if they get their hands on any rumours or other nonsense.
There is a smoking gun, because they will not divulge the information that was originally promised monday after the match, By the NRL

Hypothetical ????
You see your wife with your friend one day in his car,

You ask your wife what she was doing in his car,

Her answer is none of your business.

Do you accept her answer or pursue the truth.

There is a smoking gun, because they will not divulge the information that was originally promised monday after the match, By the NRL

Hypothetical ????
You see your wife with your friend one day in his car,

You ask your wife what she was doing in his car,

Her answer is none of your business.

Do you accept her answer or pursue the truth.
You bury her in a shallow grave…

Just noticed that Friday’s early game has the dynamic duo back in action. Butler has the short and long whistle and Clown is back in the box.

You would actually think the NRL would want to try and get some cred back after the Cowboys farce .

Just noticed that Friday’s early game has the dynamic duo back in action. Butler has the short and long whistle and Clown is back in the box.

You would actually think the NRL would want to try and get some cred back after the Cowboys farce .
How Klein was back in first grade last week is beyond me, he should have been banished to Jersey Flagg for the rest of the year over the mistakes he made costing a team a game

“I sent a letter to Graham Annesley today asking him to produce the recordings of the audio and the transcript. We need to understand what was said between the referee, bunker and players and when it was said."

I heard his interview on SEN. To paraphrase him, he mentioned that "all materials they asked for were provided to them by the NRL. We were worried that the Bunker asked the ref to check the obstruction but that was definitely not the case."

I think that provides me with a bit of reassurance. We got a half arse public apology and an assurance that what happened was wrong. They will review the rules at season's end. Case closed for me now.

I heard his interview on SEN. To paraphrase him, he mentioned that "all materials they asked for were provided to them by the NRL. We were worried that the Bunker asked the ref to check the obstruction but that was definitely not the case."

I think that provides me with a bit of reassurance. We got a half arse public apology and an assurance that what happened was wrong. They will review the rules at season's end. Case closed for me now.
Ok thanks.

Hmmm

It’s not just about any possible legal action, although he made it clear that was a definite option, it’s the ‘limited’ or ‘dismissive’ NRL response and placid tigers acceptance.

2pts/error - many times he left no one in doubt what the clubs intentions/options were going forward and what he wanted

Wanted full audio - only got to listen to an extract the NRL provided at the meeting
How many legal reps would accept that as the total ‘fact’ without their own investigation

Wanted full time records, given the possible discrepancy in full time determination - ‘not mentioned again’

Raised the kick off, off side - ‘silence’

Happy for him to beat his chest as long as he follows through or provides a full explanation of the outcome of the matters HE raised/demanded

Not unreasonable I wouldn’t think

But just my view
Where exactly does Lee H say he did not get the materials he asked for, and what exactly did he ask for, do we know?

I'm sorry but some of you are off your meds with this stuff, chasing for audio tapes and claiming NRL are withholding information.

Do we really think Tigers would arrange all these meetings with the NRL, obtain senior legal advice, and then back down if the NRL failed to produce the required materials?

There are comments above, Lee himself went on the radio and acknowledged that the NRL provided the materials he asked for.

This 2 page explanation doesn't cut the mustard?

Back