@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506465) said:
@jirskyr said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506454) said:
@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506295) said:
@jirskyr said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506294) said:
@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506286) said:
@jirskyr said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506282) said:
@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506259) said:
@barra said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506247) said:
I think putting yourself before your own family, let alone your community is more selfishness than responsibility?

Wrong again. Wife is exempt, kids too young to be vaxxed (thank god).

Give it another few months and your kids won't be too young any more.

Out of curiosity are your kids vaxxed against the other normal conditions - measles, mumps, rubella etc?

Well mate, go get your kids vaxxed. No one is touching mine

I will for certain. They've already been vaccinated for all the other conditions, COVID will be another. Did your kids get the other jabs - measles, mumps etc?

I hope your kids don’t get any of the side effects and die mate. You will be beside yourself and will hate your decision. COVID has a minimal effect on kids

Vaccines are reported to have have minimal negative effects on kids too. The CDC in the US estimates approx 700 children aged 18 or younger have died from COVID - do you seriously believe 700 American children will be killed by the vaccine?

No, if my kids get side effects from a jab I will be both upset and also accepting of it. I develop drugs for a living, I understand the risk factors better than most people. You follow the lowest-risk path with the greatest benefit for yourself, your family and the community. On all counts (self, family, community) it means vaccination. The mathematics of it are undeniable. There are risks of side effects, as there are with every drug in existence, but the risks of the vaccine in all approved age groups are far lower than the risk of COVID. If the TGA decides there is unacceptable or unnecessary risk for children, they won't approve the COVID vaccines for kids - it's a pretty straightforward process; the people at the TGA have kids too.

But you won't answer my question for some reason - are your kids vaccinated against other non-COVID conditions? The standard ones they get when they are kids.

Sorry mate, yes. Except we are not doing the 4th year vax for my ASD one. He went back to back vaccine with his previous and it
Screwed him right up. He regressed

Sorry to hear that - I'm not a doctor, so I don't know the implications of what you are saying for your son's condition.

The last thing I'll say is - the mechanisms by which other vaccines (not COVID) are approved for use in Australia are the same mechanisms by which the COVID vaccine was approved. They are researched the same way, trialled the same way, registered and approved the same way.

Were non-COVID children's vaccines an emergency, they would be expedited just the same as a COVID vaccine.

And on the numbers - approx 95% of children are vaccinated against childhood infections each year, and about 300,000 children born per year in Australia. That means approx 285K new children receive their vaccines each year, so in the realm of 2.5M every decade. And we have been vaccinating against things like measles for about 40 years, so approx 10M Australians have been vaccinated in the measles campaign. And I think we can all agree the measles vaccination program has proven both safe and effective.

So for some perspective - 18M Australians are fully vaccinated against COVID right now. That means twice the number of people are currently vaccinated against COVID than have been vaccinated against measles in the past 40 years. It shows you the power of the COVID safety data that the authorities have access to.

I think putting yourself before your own family, let alone your community is more selfishness than responsibility?

Out of curiosity are your kids vaxxed against the other normal conditions - measles, mumps, rubella etc?

My son contracted COVID about 2 months ago. Spent 4 days at RNS hospital. Lost 7kg. Worst 2 weeks of my families life. He caught it at work off an unvaccinated ignorant twat who was more interested in his rights than responsibilities. I could have lost my son because of attitudes similar to yours. Go get the jab!!!

@tiger_steve said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507126) said:

My son contracted COVID about 2 months ago. Spent 4 days at RNS hospital. Lost 7kg. Worst 2 weeks of my families life. He caught it at work off an unvaccinated ignorant twat who was more interested in his rights than responsibilities. I could have lost my son because of attitudes similar to yours. Go get the jab!!!

I hope your son has made a full recovery.I agree with your sentiments in regards to the antisocial cretin who passed it on to your son.

Sorry to hear about your son mate, hope he makes a full recovery. God bless. But honestly, the name calling on this forum needs to stop. There is way too much tough guy over the internet attitudes on here. I’ll give you a pass, cause I understand that you almost lost your son and I sincerely feel sympathy for you and your family.

@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507132) said:

Sorry to hear about your son mate, hope he makes a full recovery. God bless. But honestly, the name calling on this forum needs to stop. There is way too much tough guy over the internet attitudes on here. I’ll give you a pass, cause I understand that you almost lost your son and I sincerely feel sympathy for you and your family.

No tough guy attitude at all. Not calling you anything at all but I stand by my statement. Appreciate your sentiments though. My son is recovering. Hopefully no long term effects but who knows.

In all fairness ppl can do what they want.
I'm vaccinated but if some don't want to get it, that's their call.
They will be the ones that have to abide by future regulations.

@tiger_steve said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507133) said:

No tough guy attitude at all. Not calling you anything at all but I stand by my statement. Appreciate your sentiments though. My son is recovering. Hopefully no long term effects but who knows.

That’s good to hear mate. I don’t like to see anyone suffering hardships due to health, financial or otherwise. I just don’t like it when we call each other names, especially over the net. There is just no need, say it to the persons face.

@jirskyr said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506450) said:
@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506293) said:
@jirskyr said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506290) said:
@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506265) said:
@tig_prmz said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506264) said:
@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506216) said:
@cochise said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506215) said:
@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506214) said:
@cochise said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506211) said:
@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506208) said:
@jirskyr said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506207) said:
@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506193) said:
@jirskyr said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506191) said:
@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1506181) said:
That’s the study @odessa is talking about

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34696485/

That's the abstract, not the full text. Here is full text:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8538446/

You need to be very careful with these studies - it's in vitro for starters (done outside the body, in a lab) and if you read the Discussion it's chock-full of qualifiers - "we propose a potential mechanism by which spike proteins may...", "our findings also imply". This is true of most studies, it's not a specific criticism of this work.

The proper path of science occurs when other groups peer review the research and attempt to verify / validate / repeat it. If they can do this, the research gains momentum like a snowball - more reviews, more consensus, more and broader research. Other experts have to be able to repeat the findings independently. And then once you gain some consensus in the expert community, that's when you act on a research outcome.

You can't just post the paper, quote Dr Youtube and then say "see told you it's dangerous". That's not how Science works.

Unfortunately the world has changed where laypersons review medical research papers and become concerned about single reports from single sources. That's not how research is supposed to work, and before COVID 99% of non-scientists never read research papers and didn't have any idea what pubmed or Nature or Lancet was. I don't understand why non-medics are reviewing these complicated papers.

That’s why I’m in no rush to get vaccinated. Let science take its course and allow more research to be done. If something like this is proven to be true, you would be nuts to get the vaccine

No that's exactly wrong, for the reasons I just told you. Science has taken its course. The debate is over on COVID vaccines. I didn't say anything about waiting X amount of time, I said wait for experts to verify individual findings.

COVID vaccines are peer reviewed - more than most products ever are. There's never been so many eyeballs on so few products, we are talking a handful of vaccines and every health authority and virology and vaccine expert on the planet it looking at them, and has been doing so for more than a year.

There have been billions of doses administered and literally billions of people fully vaccinated for many months. BILLIONS, I don't know if people understand how big this number is. If you are going to find safety signals you are going to find it comfortably within billions of administrations.

Again; I am a drug research professional, we typically deal with detectable safety signals in hundreds or thousands of patients, not in the realm of billions. This is in approved medications for all sorts of indications, where typically a couple of hundred or thousand folks get the treatment before it's approved for use. The DURATION of drug research is typically because of the challenges in getting regulatory approvals, logistics of drug supply, finding enough patients, developing protocols, waiting for regulatory review. None of these challenges exist during COVID, everything is fast-tracked and there's literally millions of potential candidates for vaccine studies.

They didn't take short-cuts on the vaccines either, the studies were typical of vaccine research. The overwhelming majority of potential adverse events from vaccines occur very rapidly - it's why they only ask you to hang around 15-30 minutes after your shot, because the serious reactions (typically allergic) will occur quickly.

So if everything was measured and even, sure you could wait for a very very (undefined) long period of time and see what other safety data becomes available. Truth is that's an ever-moving goalpost, because you will never have 100% definitive drug data - it simply does not exist. People can and still do die from taking drugs as "innocuous" as paracetamol. You'd be waiting forever, or taking an arbitrary long amount of time before deciding to "take the plunge".

In the meanwhile, COVID's coming for you and it's arguably not going to wait so long.

Your probably right, but it’s not all doom and gloom. As mentioned before, I know two families that had it and beat it at home without hospitalisation and described it as no worse than the flu. I will take my chances, no need to stress or panic.

You do get that is how these things work? Some people get it and recover, some people get it and die. Issue is if you get it, even if you recover you are likely to pass it onto someone else, who passes it onto someone else. Are you ok with someone further down your chain of transmission contracting this and passing away?

That is what I don't understand about the argument of I will take my chances or I will trust my immune system, it is not just you that you are putting at risk.

With all due respect @cochise, you could have given someone the flu at work, who passed it onto someone, who passed it onto someone else who then died because of it. Can’t live life with what if’s and hypotheticals.

100% I could have, one of the reason I get the Flu vaccine, this is much deadlier then the flu and is ripping through most of the world. I just find a lot of the anti vaccine arguments to be selfish in the extreme.

I don’t agree. It’s not selfish at all. Why should I put something in my body that I don’t feel comfortable with? Who looks after my family if I get an adverse reaction from the vaccine and die? What are you going to do @cochise, tell them at least he wasn’t a selfish person and took the vaccine to save humanity. My wife would rip your head off guaranteed.

I agree that you should not put anything in your body that you don't approve. But you mentioned in your other post that a family you know got it and said it was a walk in the park. The reason everyone is going to be nagging you about this is that you could get it and he a walk in the park for you but the person you pass it off to, it may kill them... Even if they are vaccinated.

Yes it's not 100% but you're more likely to die from COVID than from the Vax. You're more likely to kill someone from COVID too. I don't think you're being selfish at all but I think you're twisting the facts around to come to the conclusion that you came to a long time ago.

As I mentioned in another thread, you've already come to a conclusion and you're not going to budge, but hopefully someone else who reads this and is confused may change their stance.

If COVID mutates and has a mortality rate of like 50 percent, then maybe the risk of the vaccine is worth it

50% is an arbitrary number. Why not 25% or 10%? The approximated mortality rate for COVID is already 1-2% globally, and the mortality rate for vaccines is much much lower.

And what is "the risk of the vaccine"?

The vaccine has no side effects. Nothing to do with the heart and clotting. Sorry, I forgot

That's not a helpful remark, obviously. We all know the vaccines have potential side effects, question is about risk. Driving a car has risk, but you don't take all the cars off the road because someone had an accident.

But bad drivers who cause accidents can be taken off the road.

@elderslie_tiger said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507137) said:

You need to be very careful with these studies - it's in vitro for starters (done outside the body, in a lab) and if you read the Discussion it's chock-full of qualifiers - "we propose a potential mechanism by which spike proteins may...", "our findings also imply". This is true of most studies, it's not a specific criticism of this work.

The proper path of science occurs when other groups peer review the research and attempt to verify / validate / repeat it. If they can do this, the research gains momentum like a snowball - more reviews, more consensus, more and broader research. Other experts have to be able to repeat the findings independently. And then once you gain some consensus in the expert community, that's when you act on a research outcome.

You can't just post the paper, quote Dr Youtube and then say "see told you it's dangerous". That's not how Science works.

Unfortunately the world has changed where laypersons review medical research papers and become concerned about single reports from single sources. That's not how research is supposed to work, and before COVID 99% of non-scientists never read research papers and didn't have any idea what pubmed or Nature or Lancet was. I don't understand why non-medics are reviewing these complicated papers.

That’s why I’m in no rush to get vaccinated. Let science take its course and allow more research to be done. If something like this is proven to be true, you would be nuts to get the vaccine

No that's exactly wrong, for the reasons I just told you. Science has taken its course. The debate is over on COVID vaccines. I didn't say anything about waiting X amount of time, I said wait for experts to verify individual findings.

COVID vaccines are peer reviewed - more than most products ever are. There's never been so many eyeballs on so few products, we are talking a handful of vaccines and every health authority and virology and vaccine expert on the planet it looking at them, and has been doing so for more than a year.

There have been billions of doses administered and literally billions of people fully vaccinated for many months. BILLIONS, I don't know if people understand how big this number is. If you are going to find safety signals you are going to find it comfortably within billions of administrations.

Again; I am a drug research professional, we typically deal with detectable safety signals in hundreds or thousands of patients, not in the realm of billions. This is in approved medications for all sorts of indications, where typically a couple of hundred or thousand folks get the treatment before it's approved for use. The DURATION of drug research is typically because of the challenges in getting regulatory approvals, logistics of drug supply, finding enough patients, developing protocols, waiting for regulatory review. None of these challenges exist during COVID, everything is fast-tracked and there's literally millions of potential candidates for vaccine studies.

They didn't take short-cuts on the vaccines either, the studies were typical of vaccine research. The overwhelming majority of potential adverse events from vaccines occur very rapidly - it's why they only ask you to hang around 15-30 minutes after your shot, because the serious reactions (typically allergic) will occur quickly.

So if everything was measured and even, sure you could wait for a very very (undefined) long period of time and see what other safety data becomes available. Truth is that's an ever-moving goalpost, because you will never have 100% definitive drug data - it simply does not exist. People can and still do die from taking drugs as "innocuous" as paracetamol. You'd be waiting forever, or taking an arbitrary long amount of time before deciding to "take the plunge".

In the meanwhile, COVID's coming for you and it's arguably not going to wait so long.

Your probably right, but it’s not all doom and gloom. As mentioned before, I know two families that had it and beat it at home without hospitalisation and described it as no worse than the flu. I will take my chances, no need to stress or panic.

You do get that is how these things work? Some people get it and recover, some people get it and die. Issue is if you get it, even if you recover you are likely to pass it onto someone else, who passes it onto someone else. Are you ok with someone further down your chain of transmission contracting this and passing away?

That is what I don't understand about the argument of I will take my chances or I will trust my immune system, it is not just you that you are putting at risk.

With all due respect @cochise, you could have given someone the flu at work, who passed it onto someone, who passed it onto someone else who then died because of it. Can’t live life with what if’s and hypotheticals.

100% I could have, one of the reason I get the Flu vaccine, this is much deadlier then the flu and is ripping through most of the world. I just find a lot of the anti vaccine arguments to be selfish in the extreme.

I don’t agree. It’s not selfish at all. Why should I put something in my body that I don’t feel comfortable with? Who looks after my family if I get an adverse reaction from the vaccine and die? What are you going to do @cochise, tell them at least he wasn’t a selfish person and took the vaccine to save humanity. My wife would rip your head off guaranteed.

I agree that you should not put anything in your body that you don't approve. But you mentioned in your other post that a family you know got it and said it was a walk in the park. The reason everyone is going to be nagging you about this is that you could get it and he a walk in the park for you but the person you pass it off to, it may kill them... Even if they are vaccinated.

Yes it's not 100% but you're more likely to die from COVID than from the Vax. You're more likely to kill someone from COVID too. I don't think you're being selfish at all but I think you're twisting the facts around to come to the conclusion that you came to a long time ago.

As I mentioned in another thread, you've already come to a conclusion and you're not going to budge, but hopefully someone else who reads this and is confused may change their stance.

If COVID mutates and has a mortality rate of like 50 percent, then maybe the risk of the vaccine is worth it

50% is an arbitrary number. Why not 25% or 10%? The approximated mortality rate for COVID is already 1-2% globally, and the mortality rate for vaccines is much much lower.

The vaccine has no side effects. Nothing to do with the heart and clotting. Sorry, I forgot

That's not a helpful remark, obviously. We all know the vaccines have potential side effects, question is about risk. Driving a car has risk, but you don't take all the cars off the road because someone had an accident.

For now…..

It's disappointing that the NRL have not come out with a firm policy in regard to vaccinations for the sake of 15 or so players.All future contracts should be drawn up with a vaccinations clause as a condition of registration with the NRL

@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507136) said:
@tiger_steve said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507133) said:

That’s good to hear mate. I don’t like to see anyone suffering hardships due to health, financial or otherwise. I just don’t like it when we call each other names, especially over the net. There is just no need, say it to the persons face.

I’m at every Ambush event. Happy to have a beer with you face to face any time at all.

@elderslie_tiger said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507140) said:
It's disappointing that the NRL have not come out with a firm policy in regard to vaccinations for the sake of 15 or so players.All future contracts should be drawn up with a vaccinations clause as a condition of registration with the NRL

THey have......their policy is that these 15 players can be accomodated.

@tiger5150 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507151) said:

But they can't. It's completely out of the NRLs' control. Governments make the rules and the nrl and it's players simply have to abide by them or sit at home playing playstation

@balmain-boy said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507162) said:

But they can't. It's completely out of the NRLs' control. Governments make the rules and the nrl and it's players simply have to abide by them or sit at home playing playstation

Of course they can, and I think its because there are so few of them. They can set up rules like an extra roster spot, they could do anything. Doesnt mean its a good result, but it could be done.

@elderslie_tiger said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507137) said:

And bad doctors are de-licensed; this is about the mechanism not the human delivering it.

@tiger5150 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507164) said:

Of course they can, and I think its because there are so few of them. They can set up rules like an extra roster spot, they could do anything. Doesnt mean its a good result, but it could be done.

The won't be able to change the rules to suit a small bunch of morons. All the clubs that are doing the right thing will chuck a fit if trouble makers get leave and even extra entitlements!!

@balmain-boy said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507242) said:

The won't be able to change the rules to suit a small bunch of morons. All the clubs that are doing the right thing will chuck a fit if trouble makers get leave and even extra entitlements!!

Change what rules? Clubs doing the "right thing"? What is the right thing? If a club has a player who decides not to get vaccinated, its up to the Club to decide what to do with him. They could play him just in NSW, they could play him in states without restrictions, he could train with the team.

Why should the NRL set a rule for 15 players? Let the clubs work it out.

@pj said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507134) said:

That is what annoys me, people expect to make their own decisions without consideration of others, but then expect everyone to accommodate them.

Put it to a vote. Should people that have chosen not to be vaccinated be forced to pay for their own medical treatment should they require medical treatment for something that a vaccine would have reduced the severity of?

Should venues have the right to refuse service to those that have chosen not to be vaccinated?

Should hospitality venues have to publicize the vaccination status of the staff employed there?

Judging by the current vaccination rates, I suggest most of the above would pass with a majority.

@harvey said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507279) said:
@pj said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507134) said:

That is what annoys me, people expect to make their own decisions without consideration of others, but then expect everyone to accommodate them.

Put it to a vote. Should people that have chosen not to be vaccinated be forced to pay for their own medical treatment should they require medical treatment for something that a vaccine would have reduced the severity of?

Should venues have the right to refuse service to those that have chosen not to be vaccinated?

Should hospitality venues have to publicize the vaccination status of the staff employed there?

Judging by the current vaccination rates, I suggest most of the above would pass with a majority.

Exactly.

@tiger5150 said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507245) said:
@balmain-boy said in [NRL\. Anti\-Vaxers\.\.](/post/1507242) said:

Change what rules? Clubs doing the "right thing"? What is the right thing? If a club has a player who decides not to get vaccinated, its up to the Club to decide what to do with him. They could play him just in NSW, they could play him in states without restrictions, he could train with the team.

Why should the NRL set a rule for 15 players? Let the clubs work it out.

You literally had just said the nrl could create new rules like a new roster spot etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Back