NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series

@Fade-To-Black said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255473) said:
@cochise said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255248) said:
@Fade-To-Black said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255240) said:
@Lauren said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255225) said:
@Fade-To-Black said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255218) said:
@Lauren said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255176) said:
@TheKhan said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255051) said:
I don't understand the argument about the Australian Anthem being offensive to indigenous players. The argument is redundant once a player accepts a place on the team, Its State of Origin. A competition exclusively between 2 Australian states. So we have the indigenous welcome to country ceremony ( I believe) and then its OK to wear the jersey of an Australian State and accept Australian currency as payment but once the nations anthem is played its suddenly rage inducing and emotionally over whelming to be reminded that the continent was colonized and then the nation of Australia was formed 200 + yrs ago. im not writing this with contempt or trying to be dismissive im trying to understand the problem

I feel like most are failing to see some of the message that the players have been attempting to get across, and that it's rarely been touched upon due to the outrage.

Yes the anthem being non-inclusive of Indigenous culture and history is often brought up, but other than a couple of articles I've never seen any dialogue about the other issues the players wish to bring attention to - particularly Indigenous Youth incarceration and suicide - and can't believe people make a bigger deal because they don't want to sing it.
Irregardless of any personal opinions of them, the players are pillars of their community - and perceived highly as role models for many children - and if they wish to use this platform to bring vital awareness to the outlined circumstances, why does their Indigenous heritage or the causes close to them become invalid due to them receiving payments?

People are incarcerated because they break the law. Regardless of colour or race.
Don't break the law and you'll have nothing to worry about IMO.

A 10 year old boy walking home on sundown because he stayed later than he was supposed to - just to play some footy with friends or relatives - is not breaking the law. You'd actually be surprised that this is the reality for a lot of Aboriginal kids from FNQ and many remote Aboriginal communities.
And please don't even try to bring parenting or any other thing into it, because no one deserves that.
So if you think that's acceptable shame on you.

That's all pretty hypothetical more so than fact-based.
Again, people are usually incarcerated for breaking the law. Shame on me for having that belief.

Why are indigenous indigenous incarceration rates higher than the general population?

Probably due to the fact many of them don't respect nor abide by "white fella law" so they do not think twice about breaking it. That would account for a big percentage IMO.

I honestly don't know what we should do but its obvious that the current system is not working for too big a percentage of the indigenous population.

@pawsandclaws1 said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255478) said:
I attended an Anzac Day Ceremony in our district and the RSL Sub Branch played God Save The Queen. I refused to sing.

How long ago was that?I honestly cant imagine any ANZAC day service at any RSL on Sydneys northern beaches doing that without there being a furore

@jadtiger said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255484) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255478) said:
I attended an Anzac Day Ceremony in our district and the RSL Sub Branch played God Save The Queen. I refused to sing.

How long ago was that?I honestly cant imagine any ANZAC day service at any RSL on Sydneys northern beaches doing that without there being a furore

It wasn't too long ago and the attitude of the Sub Branch was go elsewhere if you don't like it. Typical ex serviceman. This was in the Shire.

I'm not a wowser, this resonates with me. One of the best Gunnery Sergeant movie scenes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZYlXEUo-Lo

@pawsandclaws1 said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255489) said:
@jadtiger said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255484) said:

It wasn't too long ago and the attitude of the Sub Branch was go elsewhere if you don't like it. Typical ex serviceman. This was in the Shire.

I'm not a wowser, this resonates with me. One of the best Gunnery Sergeant movie scenes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZYlXEUo-Lo

That was a great movie and memorable for many reasons.

@TigerWest said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255439) said:
@formerguest said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255423) said:
@TigerWest said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255251) said:
@cochise said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255248) said:
@Fade-To-Black said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255240) said:
@Lauren said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255225) said:
@Fade-To-Black said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255218) said:
@Lauren said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255176) said:
@TheKhan said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255051) said:
I don't understand the argument about the Australian Anthem being offensive to indigenous players. The argument is redundant once a player accepts a place on the team, Its State of Origin. A competition exclusively between 2 Australian states. So we have the indigenous welcome to country ceremony ( I believe) and then its OK to wear the jersey of an Australian State and accept Australian currency as payment but once the nations anthem is played its suddenly rage inducing and emotionally over whelming to be reminded that the continent was colonized and then the nation of Australia was formed 200 + yrs ago. im not writing this with contempt or trying to be dismissive im trying to understand the problem

I feel like most are failing to see some of the message that the players have been attempting to get across, and that it's rarely been touched upon due to the outrage.

Yes the anthem being non-inclusive of Indigenous culture and history is often brought up, but other than a couple of articles I've never seen any dialogue about the other issues the players wish to bring attention to - particularly Indigenous Youth incarceration and suicide - and can't believe people make a bigger deal because they don't want to sing it.
Irregardless of any personal opinions of them, the players are pillars of their community - and perceived highly as role models for many children - and if they wish to use this platform to bring vital awareness to the outlined circumstances, why does their Indigenous heritage or the causes close to them become invalid due to them receiving payments?

People are incarcerated because they break the law. Regardless of colour or race.
Don't break the law and you'll have nothing to worry about IMO.

A 10 year old boy walking home on sundown because he stayed later than he was supposed to - just to play some footy with friends or relatives - is not breaking the law. You'd actually be surprised that this is the reality for a lot of Aboriginal kids from FNQ and many remote Aboriginal communities.
And please don't even try to bring parenting or any other thing into it, because no one deserves that.
So if you think that's acceptable shame on you.

That's all pretty hypothetical more so than fact-based.
Again, people are usually incarcerated for breaking the law. Shame on me for having that belief.

Why are indigenous indigenous incarceration rates higher than the general population?

I doubt they are higher, but there ratio may be higher in areas, where they live.

I have lived in the outback, once they have the grog in them, they are bad (hence why some areas a grog free), so are whites, but not in the numbers that they are.

I don't think anyone is denying they have there problems, but imo, they have to get past what happened 200ys ago, life and values were completely different compared to today.

That is about as ignorant as anyone can be on the subject, from your first words through to your last.

![Screenshot_20201030-140905_Gallery.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1604027948699-screenshot_20201030-140905_gallery-resized.jpg)

Maybe best to read what I write instead of getting on a high horse

I read exactly what you stated, firstly you doubted indigenous incarceration rates were higher, when it is a multiple of almost 12 and ended with them needing to get past what happened 200 years ago, when many of the stolen still suffer to this day.

Sorry, wrong thread...

Over here: https://weststigersforum.com/topic/31729/national-anthem/35

@mike said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1287432) said:
From the first of January 2021 the Nation Anthem word will be changed from:
young and free
To:
one and free

Cool, sounds like a good step.

Here's to a great 2021, for WTF itself, the forumers, and the mighty Wests Tigers.

Cheers,

Back