NRL club tempts agencies with A$100K bounty

Ghostdogg

Australian National Rugby League club the Wests Tigers will offer a A$100,000 reward to the advertising agency which finds it a new major sponsor, if negotiations with its incumbent sponsor fail.

The Australian Sponsorship News website reports that the club is in still in negotiations with its current major sponsor, the car manufacturer Proton, which it was hoping to retain at some level. However Proton has warned the club that it may not return as a major sponsor.

The advertising agency bounty is planned to help if Proton and the Tigers are unable to renew their deal. Brett Clarke, the club’s general manager, said, “My phone has been ringing off the hook from agencies and people wanting to have a crack at it.”

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/169937/nrl-club-tempts-agencies-a100k-bounty?utm_source=sbinsl&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=jul16

I like it.

This sounds like a proactive step towards a solid future. This sounds like something that the "ManU" of the NRL would be doing, something from outside the box.

I hope it works

They must have had a good crack at trying to get one themselves without any luck.

Big cash is being offered. Makes us sound desparate though.
Out of the square stuff alright.

Spend $100,000 on snatching a decent player.

The only reason I see Proton not wanting to enter a new deal is because of our on field success, or lack of it. We're the Saints of the NRL, always in the good books, have a few rep players now and we never see an indiscretion involving the Tigers on the news.

Hopefully we get a strong sponsor willing to back us with some decent moola!

Can't wait until Proton get their crap off the WestsTigers brand. Their cheap 2nd rate rubbish cars are an absolute joke. No wonder their sales have been on the decrease since entering the Australian market.

would not be suprised if Proton are not major sponsors next season, or there at all.
they will blame the economic tightenting, when in reality we all know, not making the finals since 2005, is the major contributing factor. :smiling_imp: :imp:

@crouching_tiger said:
Can't wait until Proton get their crap off the WestsTigers brand. Their cheap 2nd rate rubbish cars are an absolute joke. No wonder their sales have been on the decrease since entering the Australian market.

I thought you owned one?

How about we pay warren m. money to find us a prop.

Hang a minute, we actually do already …....... It's called his job.

On a sereous note, proton should feel privilaged to have been associated with our brand.

I don't know about this. What is the point of employing your marketing team if your asking someone else to do part of their job?

Everyone needs to realise these are not normal conditions for businesses. Most companies big enough to be considered as a major sponsor are looking to cut back on marketing budgets not outlay potentially millions of $ on a football team. I think it's a great idea. Advertising agencies are experts in creative thinking which is what's needed here. Considering our lowly position on the table, WT have still featured regularly on channel nine this year so I don't think Proton can complain about tv coverage.

@Allan Towle said:
I don't know about this. What is the point of employing your marketing team if your asking someone else to do part of their job?

Many major companies do this. For instance, Aldi pay $50k for a site that leads to DA, Coles $25k. It's nothing unusual to pay for someone to bring you want you want - even though you have your own people out there doing that job.

Our marketing team is basically made up of 2 people, and you can bet your bottom dollar they are out there pushing for a MS. However, many hands make light work. If an outside company were to come to us with someone that our blokes would not have otherwise signed up - good for them. Although I think $100k is too much - should have been $50k. In reality, the $100k equates to roughly the same amount of money we would lose by not having a major sponsor for the first 4 - 5 rounds of footy (depending on the deal). So it could end up being a good investment.

I like hearing about our management doing things out of the box. If 1 in 5 come off - it's a bonus.

If a fan gives them a lead to a sponsor does that fan get 100k !

@crouching_tiger said:

Probably why they are hesitant in renewing their sponsorship. They certainly don't sell well and they could well be operating at a loss here.

http://www.adnews.com.au/News.cfm?NewsId=6576
AdNews
NRL club offers agencies $100k for client sponsors
SYDNEY: NRL club Wests Tigers is offering advertising and media agencies a commission of up to $100,000 if they proffer their clients as naming rights sponsors of the team.

The Wests Tigers, currently ranked 11th on the NRL table, have remained unscathed by the off-field scandals that have dominated this season and called some major sponsorships into doubt.

The team is looking to replace naming rights sponsor Proton from November 1 2009, preferably for a three-year deal. Wests Tigers general manager sales and marketing Brett Clarke said Proton was not ending its association with the club and was looking at different branding options, having met a number of key objectives during its three years as naming rights sponsor.

The naming rights sponsorship deal is worth $950,000 in Year 1, with the agency that introduces the eventual sponsor standing to pocket around 10% of that figure.

This is the first time the club has approached advertising and media agencies directly to help find a sponsor. “We have four staff that focuses on sourcing sponsorship investment,” said Clarke. “By using this method we are potentially having thousands of staff sourcing this investment whilst providing great returns and a sound branding/ marketing strategy for their clients.”

“We want to say to agencies and clients alike that sponsorship should form some part of your overall marketing strategy – book your TV, book your print, book your online – but also book your sponsorship to tie this all together – we are the missing piece in your marketing puzzle.”

“For a brand to come our and make a statement that “we are a major sponsor” is a real show of strength in the current climate,” he said.

White said the Tigers were renowned as the “Game's Good Guys” with players such as Robbie Farah and Benji Marshall connecting with a new generation of fans. The club's home grounds spread from Campbelltown to Leichhardt and Sydney Football Stadium, covering a broad demographic audience.

Current Wests Tigers sponsors include Meriton Apartments, Gatorade, Fosters, UD Trucks, and Betfair. Clarke said while the club had a small number of exclusive arrangements in place in the trucks, alcohol and non-alcoholic beverages and telcommunications, it was “open to interest from any brand”.

Story by: Nikki MacLennan

- 15 July 2009

This is a great idea - why not increase your 'staff' by hundreds while prospecting? all of the people at these agencies would be talking with their customers every day about spending on advertising be it TV or other areas and now they can talk about our great club to the companies. I think the club would have factored in the 100k commission into the price so that they are no worse off than previous. My sister works in Advertising and they usually get 20% commission - this only looks like just over 10% so good deal done by Tigers.

Maybe we could get "Norths Leagues" to sponsor us. They used to be a front of jumper sponsor once didn't they?

@willow said:
@crouching_tiger said:

Probably why they are hesitant in renewing their sponsorship. They certainly don't sell well and they could well be operating at a loss here.

They are a terrible car to drive. I did the test drive for a jumper at Homebush and that was enough for me. That, the high level of competition at their end of the market, and the GFC would make it difficult for them.

Back