Officials bias campaign

The flow of penalties imo always goes with the flow of possession. The Raiders had a role on which we could not stop. They are a fine and physical team.

There is no question that there is bias in the officiating, both conscious and subconscious. Actually, it's hard not to believe that there is blatant cheating at times. I will never forget the after the bell decision to penalise the Tigers in the game against the Cowboys in 2022. I spoke to many non Tigers fans about it and they all said that we were robbed. Actually, at least one mate said it was the worst ref decision that they'd ever seen. Feldt cheated by feigning obstruction and the officials invented a new rule to allow the Cowboys to appeal after the final whistle. While I agree, the Tigers need to play better football and that they often earn the ire of the refs by infringing, it is also true that they and other cellar dwellers regularly don't get the rub of the green.

Why are people still sulking about the refs?
We lost yesterday because the squad has not been prepared physically to the same extent the Raiders have, our roster is average, we were not committed in defence and we had bugger all in attack.
Very lucky to only get done by 20.

I think some of the 6 against were simply coz we weren't fit enough and were getting frustrated.

Theres a big gap between good and bad teams. We all love craving for the underdog so it seems like they get the short end of the stick.

I do agree that there's some bias but I don't think there's much there to influence decisions.

calling or not calling penalties for slowing down the play the ball is a significant factor in teams winning or not ..and the Tigers never seem to come out ahead in this area in either attack or defence … so its either a coaching issue or refereeing bias …

lack of fitness and the absence of a strong defensive mindset to hold out teams for repeated sets on their line are also issues we see year after year going back a dozen years or more…

Why are people still sulking about the refs?
We lost yesterday because the squad has not been prepared physically to the same extent the Raiders have, our roster is average, we were not committed in defence and we had bugger all in attack.
Very lucky to only get done by 20.
You're right mate. It's embarrassing the amount of whingeing that goes on about refereeing.

You're right mate. It's embarrassing the amount of whingeing that goes on about refereeing.
It’s the cowards way out.
During one of the Raiders tries yesterday the forum was screaming about a forward pass. I was far more concerned with the 5 fking missed tackles.
It’s a victim mindset and I reckon the players have it as well at times.

Great post mate. I will take note of what you said and I stand corrected. I suppose I just get the shits with countless fans blaming bias and poor refereeing when we lose. It can't always be because of refs. I'd still say the tiniest minority of times the refs have swayed the end result.
Hey, I wasn’t correcting you as such. It’s not cut and dry. The refs are human and no one should think they are going out there to be bias, but, they are human, and unconscious bias is part of the human make up. The best refs can put this to one side for the most of it, but in the milliseconds of, say, holding down a player for a second longer and getting away with it, this is always gunna part of the game. It’s the conscious bias I can’t stand, like the expectation that “the Storm wouldn’t do that bcoz they don’t need to” is BS. They’ve cheated their entire existence, and the tackles designed to mame their fellow football player just bewilders me. But they are the best at it. I reckon Cam Smith knew this about the refs and manipulated them to get a better result for his team. Not for every decision bcoz that’s never gunna happen, but for the 50/50 ‘s to become 60/40 in his favour, then you start to get a roll on and soon enough it’s an unconscious bias in his favour. And the fact he was polite enough when confronting the refs helps, but then as he got older the I’m Cam Smith intimidation factor came into it with the newer refs.
Refs are human and it sucks. The bias against us will not change until we change ourselves. We aren’t as talented as other teams so we need to control and be the best at the things that take no talent. Like discipline. We need to be the fittest, fastest and the most disciplined of any side just to combat the refs bias, and all the other things that can go against you.
When it comes to the fans going on about it, well that’s their right as passionate humans and feel disgruntled, but there is no perfect answer.

What about that idiot Faiders player just standing there in the way of the play of the ball with his hands in the air. Not moving, not trying to move away, and the peanut ref doin nothing!!
That’s bcoz they have changed the rules and the idiot refs can only do one thing at a time and they have gone completely to the other spectrum instead of implementing the rules as they see it. If a player is taking advantage of laying in the ruck, penalty. And if a dummy half throws a stupid pass into a defender trying not to get in the way then the dummy half should get called for milking. Call it for what it is. Simple.

Its called being human when money is included.
It’s not always all about cash X, and this is what I mean when I say unconscious bias. You’re not doing it for the cash or the fame or anything other than you wanna be the most unbiased fair and just ref in the league, world, planet. They are just like players, they wanna be the best, insert dickhead pic of Billy H here, but deep down inside we are effected by outside influences even when we think we are the kind of person that thinks they are fair and just. When a person goes into refereeing, I can tell you from personal experience they are not doing it for the casholla. I travelled Sydney in the 80’s and early 90’s (before super league) with my uncle, & then his wife, and then his kids, at our own risk, while he reffed lower grades barely getting paid fuel money. Even when he made firsts we were sitting with all the players, wives, has beens, etc. and we still packed our own lunch. This one time at band camp in Redfern somewhere? South Sydney comp, the Sth Syd Abbos were playing the Sth Syd Moaris, and they were there for more than footy. Just before halftime Uncle BF was told if he interrupted fight club again they would both turn on him, and pointed to us in the car, (his wife, his baby boy and me), Aunty BF was not happy Jan. The halftime hooter went and he heads over and says “start the car I’ll be back in a jiffy”. Quicker than a male bunny rabbit in springtime he was back in the car driving us down the street, footy boots still on, and two linesman in convoy with some of the crowd hurling abuse as we left. As I say refs are human, they wanna do their best, but external factors seep in and the unconscious bias starts again.
I don’t want anyone thinking I am defending them, it’s truly a love hate relationship for me. I love Uncle BF and Poppy Buttface was one of my most favourite humans, but I hate refs probably more than most.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back