Our Defense Is Not as Good As It Was

stevied

Not much more to add really. The Tigers defense is not the impenetrable wall that it was at the start of the season. Both Parra and Newcastle have got on rolls through the middle and we are conceding tries far more easily. I think all the opposition sides are developing greater fluency in their attack but it doesn't alter the fact that our defense doesn't possess the consistent speed or swarming nature that it did initially.

I thought we looked great in D.

Really muscled up when we had to.

Soft penatlies kept getting them down into our 20.

Anyone can score from there.

It was not defence that lost the game it was the no attack and silly play did that !

over 20 points is fine in attack
it waas our defense that cost us big time we have held good teams to 10-12 points yet newcastle and parra we cant ????

Defence is just as good. The problem is Benji's lack of game management is killing us.

80 minutes is beyond him. He is a bench option. Our forwards deserve better than what he is giving them.

Our Top 17 it is good

Beyond that we have some issues

The dumbest all day without a doubt was Chee Kam

Chee Kam tries to grab the leg of an attacker 10 metres from our tryline going nowhere on tackle 1 and doesn't think that tying the ball up might be the better option

If he makes our Top 21 one more time ….......

Im happy with the effort in defense although we miss alot of tackles.
We put ourselves under alot of pressure defensively due to poor ball control and a tonne of penalties

@ said:

I don't agree that we muscled up when we had to. Yes, we muscled up at times. There were some fantastic periods, especially in the second half. However, we conceded three tries close to the line, one through a flimsy Benji tackle. We were only conceding one or two tries a game earlier in the season but in the last two we have conceded four and five. I'm not saying that our defense is dreadful, only that it's not as good as it was.

Cheap penalties where policing of the ruck differs based on the colour of your jersey doesn't help either. There was a two speed ruck policy today, and I seldom criticise refs.

No but still 3rd best D in the comp, just 5 pts behind Drags and 2 behind Storm. No complaints from me, it's a million miles from previous years.

@ said:
Defence is just as good. The problem is Benji's lack of game management is killing us.

80 minutes is beyond him. He is a bench option. Our forwards deserve better than what he is giving them.

Benji is doing his best ..when and if Reynolds gets back on the field Benji can do the role he was bought for .He is not an 80 min player and was not suppose to be .

@ said:
@ said:

I don't agree that we muscled up when we had to. Yes, we muscled up at times. There were some fantastic periods, especially in the second half. However, we conceded three tries close to the line, one through a flimsy Benji tackle. We were only conceding one or two tackles a game earlier in the season but in the last two we have conceded four and five. I'm not saying that our defense is dreadful, only that it's not as good as it was.

Maʻu would run over any small bloke that close to the line. Hard to be critical of him for that.

Some poor reads today, but we were our own worst enemy in terms of gifting them opportunities.
Additionally, we're missing our three best ruck defenders in Twal, Packer and ET - Parra took advantage of the space behind the ruck today.

@ said:
@ said:

Benji is doing his best ..when and if Reynolds gets back on the field Benji can do the role he was bought for .He is not an 80 min player and was not suppose to be .

our defense is really missing packer,twai today maybe also zeleniak

@ said:
Im happy with the effort in defense although we miss alot of tackles.
We put ourselves under alot of pressure defensively due to poor ball control and a tonne of penalties

You crack me up Hodgo.
“I’m happy with the effort in defense although we miss a lot of tackles”.

Lol

In terms of defense, I have to commend Brooks for a couple of his efforts. That try saver on a rampaging forward in the first half proves that he is no longer the swinging door he once was. Gutsy stuff.

@ said:
Not much more to add really. The Tigers defense is not the impenetrable wall that it was at the start of the season. Both Parra and Newcastle have got on rolls through the middle and we are conceding tries far more easily. I think all the opposition sides are developing greater fluency in their attack but it doesn't alter the fact that our defense doesn't possess the consistent speed or swarming nature that it did initially.

Hard to disagree with that. However, I think we really benefited from the early season 'over-policing' of play the balls and the 10 metres. Now that's all stopped, we struggle to hold out the fast teams that build momentum with quick play the balls.

@ said:
Our Top 17 it is good

Beyond that we have some issues

The dumbest all day without a doubt was Chee Kam

Chee Kam tries to grab the leg of an attacker 10 metres from our tryline going nowhere on tackle 1 and doesn't think that tying the ball up might be the better option

If he makes our Top 21 one more time ….......

Looked like Nofo to me

@ said:

I think there's a few factors here
1\. Ref's have sped up the game significantly (where as in the first few weeks we were able to slow it up a bit and willing to concede penalties)
2\. We aren't conceding penalties - i think we should be. we forced teams to take shots at goal instead of attack our line.
3\. The up an In defence has been picked apart by opposition - which isn't a bad thing.

All in all, i think we will find our groove.

We started the season well beyond anyones expectations and set the tone for the year. It was never going to be sustainable. From a growth and season perspective, these loses aren't a bad thing.

@ said:

I have been saying it for 3 weeks now, bad Benji is back, christ I hope we dont give him another year

Latest posts

Back