Our original playmaking

MacDougall

I notice people constantly questioning and talking about our strange halves pairings. I get the feeling that Sheens has come up with a plan to almost reinvent RL playmaking.

What I mean is, in a side named
1\. Moltzen
6\. Marshall
7\. Lui
9\. Farah

You will find that the primary playmaker will always be Farah. He will choose what to do on almost every play. He will get first touch every play being the 9 unless he would rather be the 7 in which case some nearby player will pass to him and he will do the same from there. Marshall and Lui are more like twin five-eighths. Lui roving around on the right side of the field and Marshall doing the same on the left. Moltzen in the fullback jersey is more like another half (ala Hodgo) coming into first receiver often when Farah remains at dummy half and Lui and Marshall stay wide of the ruck for the purpose of engaging the wide defenders with an extra man or whatever they decide.

I guess the purpose of me starting this thread is to suggest that perhaps there is method to having two five-eighths in the halves jerseys when you have a halfback in the one and nine. Thoughts?

@MacDougall said:
I notice people constantly questioning and talking about our strange halves pairings. I get the feeling that Sheens has come up with a plan to almost reinvent RL playmaking.

What I mean is, in a side named
1\. Moltzen
6\. Marshall
7\. Lui
9\. Farah

You will find that the primary playmaker will always be Farah. He will choose what to do on almost every play. He will get first touch every play being the 9 unless he would rather be the 7 in which case some nearby player will pass to him and he will do the same from there. Marshall and Lui are more like twin five-eighths. Lui roving around on the right side of the field and Marshall doing the same on the left. Moltzen in the fullback jersey is more like another half (ala Hodgo) coming into first receiver often when Farah remains at dummy half and Lui and Marshall stay wide of the ruck for the purpose of engaging the wide defenders with an extra man or whatever they decide.

I guess the purpose of me starting this thread is to suggest that perhaps there is method to having two five-eighths in the halves jerseys when you have a halfback in the one and nine. Thoughts?

I agree.

You hear some teams claim to have their 1,6,7,9 as being legitimate playmakers, but most aren't. We have four players who can organise, set up or go their own effectively. We have 4 legitimate kicking options as well. With our ever improving backline and a pack that is growing in confidence each week, we could do some real damage.

MacDougall, I agree with you.

However, that sounds like Rugby Union.

@senex said:
MacDougall, I agree with you.

However, that sounds like Rugby Union.

Heh maybe Sheensy is incorporating union tactics into the Tigs. Maybe he's gonna make a play for Berrick Barnes :laughing:

i love it, its unique and brilliant.

I know it was just against cronulla, but moltzen was at the right places in the right times doing the right things!
Hard to see a place for MM with performances like that.. but i guess on friday night we will know if it was fair dinkum!

Its good to have 4 options. Only thing it lacks is a legitimate organisor which other teams have, but our team possibly doesnt suit this as much and with 4 playmakers i guess you could forgive us for not having one as opposed to say Manly, who only have Orford.

On Sheens whole 1,6,7 and 9 thing though being so important, i think its rubbish. Yes tehy are important but no more important than having a good forward pack etc.

Taumata will be play in our halves next year, as long as he stays out of trouble.

Back