Plans for the good life

A bit of history to the name Wagga Wagga TT.
In terms of the contemporary use of the words Wagga Wagga it translates as 'the place of many crows'.
Local Aboriginal historian and local Elder Uncle Stan Grant said the true meaning is Many dances and Celebrations.
Recently the Town's Mayor recognised this as the true meaning but the crow will stay on the council's logo and various organisations because of the abundance of crows in the area.
The word wagga is one of a set of words associated with the word ‘waganha’ (dancing now). These include ‘waganhi’ (danced), ‘wagagirri’ (will dance), ‘wagadha!’ (dance!), ‘wagambirra’ (play or dance about), ‘wagadyi’ (a dance), ‘wagawaga’ (dances (plural)) and ‘wagadhaany’ (dancer)

When I did my Army basic training in Wagga in the early 70s, there were more magpies than crows which was an indication of changing times. 👍
Thanks very much for the brilliant translation Cobar...As I was a newby in Wagga Wagga at the time to play rugby league with the great Turvey Park Lions(now known as South City),this is what I was told Wagga Wagga meant "place of many crows",I never once thought about searching the true Aboriginal meaning that you have explained,I took it as explained to me as I respected the true Wiradjuri peoples language ...
I have been invited back to Wagga many times recently and will make the effort to catch up with friends that I made there many years ago and still stay in contact with them...
As for the Kapooka Army base,I had many social golf days there,good guys and the beers were cheap,same goes for the R.A.A.F base at Forest Hill...
Wagga Wagga,its a wonderful inland City with great people ...cheers Cobar:)

Ah very nice.
Passed through the other day.

Lovely areas.
Yep @Demps a lovely part of NSW.
I do prefer the South Coast of NSW though, but there are very few Lifestyle type villages down there.
It seems most old farts :ROFLMAO: prefer the warmth of northern NSW.

Last edited:
Atherton Tablelands is amazing - pity I didn't see more of it when I was there 5 years ago.
Did two drives - first the loop from Cairns to Kuranada, Atherton and back down to Cairns via Gordontown.
The second was up the mountain from Port Douglas and back to Cairns via Kuranda.

Couldn't believe how much the scenery changed from tropical lushness to basically dry desert (savannah I guess) and then to rolling green hills and back to rainforest. On the second loop the savannah treess were just beautiful.
God’s country

Thanks very much for the brilliant translation Cobar...As I was a newby in Wagga Wagga at the time to play rugby league with the great Turvey Park Lions(now known as South City),this is what I was told Wagga Wagga meant "place of many crows",I never once thought about searching the true Aboriginal meaning that you have explained,I took it as explained to me as I respected the true Wiradjuri peoples language ...
I have been invited back to Wagga many times recently and will make the effort to catch up with friends that I made there many years ago and still stay in contact with them...
As for the Kapooka Army base,I had many social golf days there,good guys and the beers were cheap,same goes for the R.A.A.F base at Forest Hill...
Wagga Wagga,its a wonderful inland City with great people ...cheers Cobar:)
And it also has a beach. 😂

It is great to read about plans for the future. Just remember do not leave it too late to go on that adventure.
Reminds me of the saying "People don't plan to fail they just fail to plan".

I started my retirement journey in my mid 40's buying investment properties and then near 50 Salary Sacrifice into my Super.

I started this process after paying off my home mortgage as I had additional funds and putting your money in the bank with lower interest rates did not impress me.

Yes lots of people leave retirement planning late but your best friend investing is Compound interest and time.

Good luck to all the Forum Members and your particular Retirement Plans and Journeys.

Great topic to discuss away from NRL

And it also has a beach. 😂
Yes mate,I have ridden the 5 oclock wave many times....Also in summer in the Wiradjuri reserve the water was low enough to swim the horses,used to ride them in bareback and swim with them...Another part of my life that pleased me no end....

I appreciate you had a very physical job during your working life however 55 years old is relatively young age to retire these days.

I am turning 53 years old this year, clerical job so don't have the wear and tear to body and thinking about retiring at 56 years old. I will still have my twins in Year 11 at that stage.

I live in the suburbs of Sydney and will stay here once retired as twins still have HSC to complete then Uni or work and given the prices of houses will be with us for a while you would think.

Interesting to hear your positive and negative comments about retiring at 55 years old and lessons learnt over the years.

Thank you and sounds like you are living the dream.
The decision to retire wasn't made easily and my wife and I had lots of discussions about the pros and cons. A number of personal life choices, employment options and other local factors dovetailed to make the decision easier.
Negatives: I had a fantastic job that I really enjoyed and worked with a crew of great people, so leaving that wasn't a straightforward decision. With that, there was a sudden and significant drop in income.
Positives: Because my time was freed up, I could look after the home and kids and my wife could pursue her career goals and promotions which is something she was keen to do. This somewhat balanced our drop in income. I had achieved most of my career goals so was happy to move on to other things including spending more time with the kids. It was also easier moving over to Qld from the NT because we only had to find one job instead of two. My wife is now in a senior executive role so the decision has worked out well.
Bear in mind that we were working together, more or less to a plan. I guess we were fortunate that most of our milestones were met over time and we had a couple of lucky breaks. Would I do it again? Yes I think so. Cheers and good luck.

I couldn't think where to put this but these two cheeky buggers seem to be enjoying not being tackled anymore.
A couple of pics from my mate at a sportsman's luncheon today.
image000000.jpgimage000000(1).jpg

Foster-Tuncurry is great around Christmas and new years I used to go up there alot
Pretty much grew up at Forster each Christmas holidays and our daughter did the same. If I could afford it I’d love to move down there to retire.

The joys of volunteering are immeasureable- gives you a sense of worth as well as social interaction within your community
We need more Aussies with this mindset. Good on you mate. People that give their time to help others are unbelievable humans.

Forster Tuncurry 💯 is a great spot @Lee's fedora
But when you say you 'used to go up there a lot'.......it must be a looooooong time since you have been there, as getting across the bridge between Forster Tuncurry in any holiday time is a 🥵 nightmare now.
Smugglers cove is a great place for the family

• Love
Reactions: BZN
Back