@jirskyr said:
@happy tiger said:
@jirskyr said:
@happy tiger said:
You have to laugh

We keep the "plodders" and everyone is up in arms

We release the "plodders" and others are up in arms

I've been meaning to ask Geo about his "plodders" rankings

Does every player have a "plodders" ranking or does it get updated /upgraded/downgraded game to game or on a season to season basis

So for an example , does Tedesco ,Woods or Moses have Plodder rankings ??

You have to be a plodder to earn a plodder ranking. You can't be grading pork to prime beef standards.

Rankings can change, but normally there isn't much movements because categories like "wrongness of head" tend to be consistent.

But we have players who can be superstars one week and plodders the next :confused:

Maybe we need a superstar plodder category

I can't see too much changing in our squad , we just need to hope they improve or salary cap cheats abound everywhere

Well that person isn't necessarily a plodder, they are just inconsistent. Plodders usually cannot get to superstar level at any week, because then they evolve into being actual legitimate quality first-graders; there are very few Grade A Plodders.

Jack Buchanan is your archetype middle-of-the-road plodder: not hopeless, does alright in firsts, does similarly alright in reserves, slow and a bit busted, not lacking heart but fairly lacking in skill.

Bald before his years is common, excessively wide thighs are a must, busted nose adds to the charisma, possibly mangled ears from spending time in rugby scrums as a young man. No personal sponsorship, no lair haircuts or shiny boots, no followers on twitter.

Artie Beetson and Blocker Roach were top-flight plodders - ugly and slow, but impossible to tackle and with a mean offload. Grade A plodders to the point of being legends in the game.

Carl Webb is a prime example of a swinging plodder like you note - sometimes amazing but more often hopeless. I would say however that plodders might do some amazing _things_, but rarely manage absolutely dominate games. After all they are plodders, and their innate ploddering tends to come to the fore.

Geo and my initial thoughts on Plodders were here:
http://www.weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27914
and here
http://www.weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27974&p=757707&hilit=plodder+grade+A#p757707

But a tricky beast to truly define, The Plodder. It's kind of like the LBW of the rugby league world.

Girth shouldn't be in the rating schedule for a plodder

A Rankin or Fitzhenry is being oppressed if we do that

Rankin will show up to pre season training with a 21 piece bucket under one arm and 4 cartons of soft drink under the other after crash tackling a semi trailer claiming it is his gym session and fixing his wrongness of head issues with his Plodder levels

Could send 2017 into a tailspin before it begins

Maybe we rank a Plodder based on our reactions when the Plodder plods

Still on a 1-5 scale

1 /Decibel level we reach when screaming at them ??

2/ How many times you kick a pet when he screws up ??

3/ Times the TV remote leaves your hand or you change the channel in utter disgust ??

4/ Level of alcohol consumption increases when you see his name on the team sheet Tuesday evening ??

5/Amount of threads started on the Forum after another shocking performance ??

The more constants we have to bring a general consensus from the Forum as a whole is imperative

We could even get a Mod to start a thread where we could vote every week on the Plodder of the Year

Good idea, Plodder of the week. There will always be a couple of outstanding candidates.

As our only Official IN signing ATM…..Idris received a B+ plodder rating at the time he was 1st linked..

That has now been revised to A+...Keeper..

@Geo. said:
As our only Official IN signing ATM…..Idris received a B+ plodder rating at the time he was 1st linked..

That has now been revised to A+...Keeper..

Yeah but that scale is outdated now Geo….... , bloke scores 8/5 alone for girth and wrongness of head

You can't discriminate against the pretty boys plodders who are 80 kgs wringing wet :confused:

On my scale he is a C- until proven innocent

@happy tiger said:

We could even get a Mod to start a thread where we could vote every week on the Plodder of the Year

Well the thing is that plodders plod, i.e. move slowly. We can't be throwing in each and every crap player into the special plodder pool. A plodder is a unique breed, it is not a catch-all for all the battlers we might sign.

BUT I do like your plodder of the year thread. I read the blog makingthenut.com during the regular season and he has a Willie M Medal every year, for the worstest player in the comp over 26 rounds. Maybe we could do the same thing for the Tigers, start a thread in Rd 1 2017 and award each player 3 Lovetts, 2 Lovetts and 1 Lovett for worst on field.

I will do that..However it will be known as the Anasta's…the greatest Plodder ever to wear Wests Tigers Colours...No one could produce 1 run for -3m like him...it will also run in reverse 1,2,3

1\. Anasta..worst on field...

Lovett gets a bad rap...We would be a lot better team if some others took his approach into games..

@jirskyr said:
@happy tiger said:

Well the thing is that plodders plod, i.e. move slowly. We can't be throwing in each and every crap player into the special plodder pool. A plodder is a unique breed, it is not a catch-all for all the battlers we might sign.

BUT I do like your plodder of the year thread. I read the blog makingthenut.com during the regular season and he has a Willie M Medal every year, for the worstest player in the comp over 26 rounds. Maybe we could do the same thing for the Tigers, start a thread in Rd 1 2017 and award each player 3 Lovetts, 2 Lovetts and 1 Lovett for worst on field.

I do agree a plodder is a special sort of player,not all crap players are plodders and a plodder can even win a man of the match award. Basically they are plodders, they play to the best of their very limited ability. Jack Bauchan was the perfect example of a plodder, tried bloody hard,but more often than not was average. You get players like Siro .who have ability but plod along, I don't regard them as plodders,rather lazy buggers

@Geo. said:
I will do that..However it will be known as the Anasta's…the greatest Plodder ever to wear Wests Tigers Colours...No one could produce 1 run for -3m like him...it will also run in reverse 1,2,3

Lovett gets a bad rap...We would be a lot better team if some others took his approach into games..

Does a forum member who correctly predicts the 3,2,1 for a particular week's game get bestowed the honourary title of Plodstradumus?

@Geo. said:

Wonder if we can talk Braith into presenting the award end of season

Might get him flattened again

@supercoach said:
@jirskyr said:
@happy tiger said:

I do agree a plodder is a special sort of player,not all crap players are plodders and a plodder can even win a man of the match award. Basically they are plodders, they play to the best of their very limited ability. Jack Bauchan was the perfect example of a plodder, tried bloody hard,but more often than not was average. You get players like Siro .who have ability but plod along, I don't regard them as plodders,rather lazy buggers

I think we might need to ask the Master of the Plod in Hobbo on this

Personally think we let a player plod his own way , if he is a winger ,centre ,half or forward

Let talented and talentless plod their own way and let the Forum decide :sign:

The Roosters look like the club to target for an outside back:

Latrell Mitchell
Michael Gordon
Blake Ferguson
SKD
Daniel Tupou
Ryan Matterson
Joseph Manu
Dale Copley

Something has to give there. I'd be happy with any of Matterson, Manu, Copley or even Tupou. Matterson would be my pick of the bunch but I suspect they'll have him in mind for a utility role in the 17.

@Nelson said:

Latrell Mitchell
Michael Gordon
Blake Ferguson
SKD
Daniel Tupou
Ryan Matterson
Joseph Manu
Dale Copley

Something has to give there. I'd be happy with any of Matterson, Manu, Copley or even Tupou. Matterson would be my pick of the bunch but I suspect they'll have him in mind for a utility role in the 17.

The Chooks would probably consider giving Tupou away but can't see them releasing any of the others and I Tupou has been average for a while now

@Nelson said:

Latrell Mitchell
Michael Gordon
Blake Ferguson
SKD
Daniel Tupou
Ryan Matterson
Joseph Manu
Dale Copley

WHOA WHOA WHOA, whats this getting back on to the subject!!!! Maybe a few plodder points to you Nelson…..lol.

@supercoach said:
@Nelson said:

Latrell Mitchell
Michael Gordon
Blake Ferguson
SKD
Daniel Tupou
Ryan Matterson
Joseph Manu
Dale Copley

The Chooks would probably consider giving Tupou away but can't see them releasing any of the others and I Tupou has been average for a while now

You can add a couple more to the "Outs".
WESTS TIGERS

Ins: Jamal Idris (free agent)

Outs: Josh Addo-Carr (Storm), Jack Buchanan (Widnes), Josh Drinkwater (released), Asipeli Fine (Bulldogs), Lamar Liolevave (Bulldogs), Billy McConnachie (released), Jesse Parahi (Rugby Sevens), Manaia Cherrington (Sharks), Dene Halatau (retired), Robbie Farah (Rabbitohs), Curtis Sironen (Sea Eagles)

@Geo. said:

Yeah Lovett is a toiler, not a plodder.

Anasta is grand poobah of the plodders.

@supercoach said:
@Nelson said:

Latrell Mitchell
Michael Gordon
Blake Ferguson
SKD
Daniel Tupou
Ryan Matterson
Joseph Manu
Dale Copley

I'd take Tupou. Tall rangy winger, might just need a change of club to extract his best.

I think it is a bit harsh singling out particular players for being plodders…it has its points...however,the true PLODDER here really is the Club itself...since our inception as the Wests Tigers we have been plodding along trying to win premierships, 1 in 17 years,finals appearances and then missing the big one,plodding on to the next season full of ambitions and confidence,then disappointing the supporter base with poor financial desicions,reviews,coach sackings and blaming everyone including the ballboys for dismal performances...I really think we should have a plodder scale for the clubs performance from the Admin through to the players,coaches etc,just so we can give a 0-10 on club plodding during the year..this way we can judge the club on a whole,it is my belief that players can perform brilliantly,but it won't help if the club performs poorly in the financial department such as cap issues which restrain us from purchasing more brilliant performing players..just my contribution on the topic,had a bit of spare time on my hands.... :roll

@Novocastrian Tiger said:
@Nelson said:

Latrell Mitchell
Michael Gordon
Blake Ferguson
SKD
Daniel Tupou
Ryan Matterson
Joseph Manu
Dale Copley

WHOA WHOA WHOA, whats this getting back on to the subject!!!! Maybe a few plodder points to you Nelson…..lol.

What about Connor Watson then …...

Better than that bunch and real utility value

@happy tiger said:
@Novocastrian Tiger said:
@Nelson said:

Latrell Mitchell
Michael Gordon
Blake Ferguson
SKD
Daniel Tupou
Ryan Matterson
Joseph Manu
Dale Copley

What about Connor Watson then …...

Better than that bunch and real utility value

I don't think he'd be a better option at centre or winger than any of those options, he's too small. Good player sure but not really what we need at the moment, especially when we don't have an 80 minute hooker.

Latest posts

Members online

Back