Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if i vote for Labor or Sophie Scamps as first choice as she has the best climate change credentials but they will be 1-2 the sitting lib Falinski is 2nd last choice with Pauline Hansons racist nutter last

Yeah man would love to see more done with home buyers, I’m working 2-3 jobs just to try and get our first place
Good.
That’s the level of sacrifice that gets you nice things. Well done.
Labor spending government money and Liberals raiding superannuation are both poor policies that do not address the main issue. A lot of people just can’t afford to own a house….now or ever.

Helen Haines in Indi.

In the Senate I almost wish I lived in SA. Rex Patrick when he was first elected as a senator? I thought he would be a nobody.

Seems I was wrong - he has more balls and insight than any other Senator I can think of - other than Penny Wong who would have been a great prime minister!

Except she knows that even Australia is not ready to vote for a gay, Asian woman in the reps. Even Mattias Corman stuck with the upper house because of his accent.

Good.
That’s the level of sacrifice that gets you nice things. Well done.
Labor spending government money and Liberals raiding superannuation are both poor policies that do not address the main issue. A lot of people just can’t afford to own a house….now or ever.
Stryker I agree but what has changed (policy wise) in the last 50 years that has caused that? People then on the average wage with one breadwinner could buy a home. McMansions?

Stryker I agree but what has changed (policy wise) in the last 50 years that has caused that? People then on the average wage with one breadwinner could buy a home. McMansions?
Yes that’s true….however;
When I first bought a house 27 years ago, I went 3rds with my brothers, as I couldn’t afford it on a minute apprentice wage ($6.20/hr). Two of us lived there and we had the joint 6 years before we sold and went our seperate ways.
We also bought in a shit area and renovated whilst living in it….room by room, over years
You gotta do what you gotta do to get ahead and change the mindset that you’re a victim of circumstance.
I don’t see a lot of that same commitment or sacrifice in young people today. They seem to expect a leg up off anyone who’ll listen.

Yes that’s true….however;
When I first bought a house 27 years ago, I went 3rds with my brothers, as I couldn’t afford it on a minute apprentice wage ($6.20/hr). Two of us lived there and we had the joint 6 years before we sold and went our seperate ways.
We also bought in a shit area and renovated whilst living in it….room by room, over years
You gotta do what you gotta do to get ahead and change the mindset that you’re a victim of circumstance.
I don’t see a lot of that same commitment or sacrifice in young people today. They seem to expect a leg up off anyone who’ll listen.
interesting. We bought our first home in 1991 -in our early thirties. A modest 2 bedroom weatherboard

Does Scomo really think a 50k handout will help people buy houses? At this rate it's a pipe dream for me to be able to afford even a 2 bed room house.it doesn't look like prices will drop anytime soon. In fact looks like it'll still be on the rise.

interesting. We bought our first home in 1991 -in our early thirties. A modest 2 bedroom weatherboard - oops got kicked off.

Paid $113k then and still own it. Moved to NE Vic and rented it out. Went into a business that went bust that cost a bit to finalise - now i’m like the classic baby boomer. Three houses, no kids and a bit of a social conscience. So what are we going to do with our estate?

Bugger the money hungry nephews - the local dog rescue organisation gets it all lol

Paid $113k then and still own it.
Probably only 3 times your wages at the time ?

And now it's probably 12 times average wages after appreciating 1200% in 30 years.

Doubt that level of appreciation in the future.

That's the issue.

It's not fixable.

Moved to NE Vic and rented it out. Went into a business that went bust that cost a bit to finalise - now i’m like the classic baby boomer. Three houses, no kids and a bit of a social conscience. So what are we going to do with our estate?

Bugger the money hungry nephews - the local dog rescue organisation gets it all lol
Haha.

Good on you.

Whatever you do don't give it to the WT.

Does Scomo really think a 50k handout will help people buy houses? At this rate it's a pipe dream for me to be able to afford even a 2 bed room house.it doesn't look like prices will drop anytime soon. In fact looks like it'll still be on the rise.
The unfortunate truth is if you can’t afford one now, prices won’t drop enough for you to afford one later on. It sucks, but it’s true. The younger generation needs to get creative. Start investing regionally. Buy shares in a house like I did. Do a deal with some older relos and let them live with you / provide care.
These days, going out and buying a home in a capital city is a pipe dream. I’m trying to devise strategies to help my kids when the time comes without going broke myself. It’s hard going.
Also, don’t use your super to buy a house man, that’s for your retirement.

The unfortunate truth is if you can’t afford one now, prices won’t drop enough for you to afford one later on. It sucks, but it’s true. The younger generation needs to get creative. Start investing regionally. Buy shares in a house like I did. Do a deal with some older relos and let them live with you / provide care.
These days, going out and buying a home in a capital city is a pipe dream. I’m trying to devise strategies to help my kids when the time comes without going broke myself. It’s hard going.
Also, don’t use your super to buy a house man, that’s for your retirement.
Or shack up with an older woman with a house and be a "provider".:)

The latest "Honest Government Ad" from Juicemedia came out yesterday and as always is both satirical and funny.I hope somone can post it on here like they did with the previous one as unfortunately it is beyond my computer skills to do so.

It’s not even a handout. He’s letting you rob the retirement age version of yourself so that you’re reliant on a shrinking pension.

hear on the grape vine,ex nam are getting back payed pension payments soon,thanks guys,actually been filtering throught the system last 2 years,dont miss out,it was part of the deal.sorry godbless
Great news.
I've worked with a few vets over the yrs.
One of my friends was.a cook during the war. Didn't even go over, spent the last 6 months of the war in Hawaii.
Good to see they're getting the recompense they deserve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back