Potter interested in WT coaching position

@LaT said:
@tigersrule4life said:
Someone on twitter just posted that were going to sign him 2moro afternoon any truth to it ??

Who posted that though? Some random fan or someone with potential to know the inner workings of our club?

I haven't heard boo either way.

Not sure aye just thought i will post it hopefully we sign a coach this week.

Mark Geyer Wants Mick Potter For Wests Tigers Coach
Post by: Grill Team 15 October, 2012 - 1:08 PM
Mark Geyer says Mick Potter gets his vote for Wests Tigers coach, Getty Images

Mark Geyer wants Super League coach of the year Mick Potter to take the Wests Tigers vacant coaching role.

"He's got the gift of all the gabs, he can relate to all the players, he's a very very technical coach but without being over the top," MG said on Triple M Sydney.

"I've had the luxury of playing a couple of years with him at the Western Reds and he was basically coaching the team as a player."

Potter was this year named Super League coach of the year in his role at Bradford in northern England.

He could come cheap as well. A mate of mine asked him to help him out with some coaching of a senior rep side he is involved in and Potters reply was "Not sure, I need to find a job first. I havnt been paid for the last 3 months".

I would love to see him involved but maybe as an assistant with Folkes as head coach. But if Mick is head coach I wouldnt be dissapointed.

But I think we need new staff. Goodbye Georgallis, Leeds, Skando etc.

the longer this plays out, the more i think we are better off using todd payten as a first grade coach and keep sheens on as him mentor in the background…

payto has an excellent footy brain, its a shame he was a bigger fella because he would have made a much better half/five eight than benji.

Spoke to a former player today who says Potter is the favourite for the job with Walters second in line. Apparently there was a meeting with the senior players tonight to clear up the issue and hopefully come up with a decision (hopefully an announcement) by Friday…

He says his info came from current players who he incidentally was with last night.. Take of it what you like...
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

If it is between Potter, Walters and Parish I hope Potter gets it. Has the experience as a head coach. I think that is important coming into this position. Parish from all reports could lose the players early with his hard line approach. Walters, whilst his resume of working under Bennett and Bellemy is nice, it's hard to shake the larrikin tag with him. His head coaching stint didn't go great in France.

MY preference was for Brown or D.Anderson. However would be happy enough with Potter. To be honest am prepared to give any new coach (bar Simmons) a fair go and a fair trial without bagging them from the start.

Potter would be great,hope he does sign on tomorrow.

Potter would be a very good coach, but i think Walters would be good as well, win win situation.

To have a coach being named twice the Super League coach of the year, including the current year, plus no former association with the club.

Welcome aboard coach Potter.

Let's hope he can get our defence in order and get Marshall to play his natural game.

exciting times ahead unless you are Sheens and his current support crew who all should be moved on and a fresh start employed. Also Marshall's influence should be reduced for the good of the club

There's mail floating around on twitter thats its potter, he would be my preference so fingers crossed!
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

As a Bradford Bulls fan, while sad Mick left the Club after bringing it through a tumultuous period of administration by being the focal pivot for the Players. Volunteer Staff and the Fans.
The Tigers Board would certainly be getting a man who is a tough non compromising and very good Technical Coach but also a fine and decent Human Being! Also after his experiences at Bradford he is used to doing things when finances are constrained!
Matt Parrish didn't last long at Salford City Reds which is also a bit shakey with the finances so a big ? from my point of view
Kevin Walters didn't really carry on the good work Mick Potter had started at Catalans, so again a big ?

Also I saw elsewhere that Mick if he got the job would have Royce Simmons as Assistant Coach! Bit ironic if that happens, as Royce was unfairly sacked in my opinion by St Helens after they lost to the Bulls.
I sincerely hope that Mick does get the job and that will improve the Tigers chances of getting back in the mix again!

Tim Sheens is a fine Coach who had bad luck with injuries early season then the sad loss of Robbies Mum caused the Team to lose Focus, I think that also affected Sheens more than he would care to admit, he just struggled to get the Team firing again!

Thanks for the insight blotto. It looks like many of us fans are keen on Potter getting the job. In fact, when you look at it in the cold hard light of day I think he is the stand-out option.

Re Sheens, allowing the team to lose focus is one of his main weaknesses, this year was yet another time it happened.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back