Pre season challenge Trials discussion- all teams

After each game gonna try and do a key player report card focus on player form.

Worst Performing Players
- Liam Knight
- Jesse Arthurs

Keep an eye on
- Hutchison straightened attack on the right for Bulldogs and looked good in shifts
- Taaffe at fullback played well, good field positioning but probably played as good as he could, was chiming into attack often again on right side with Hutchison.
- Kautoga defensively was great, bench smokey for sure
- Tapine looked on a mission class above anyone best running forward, starting season strong

Comback
- Xerri: solid start will be better for the run. Did look better against the kids which is a good sign.
- Papenhayzen: showed brilliant speed which is impressive given the leg injuries.
- Mitchell: Didn’t do much, did put on a nice pass for a try. Looks slimmer.

After each game gonna try and do a key player report card focus on player form.

Worst Performing Players
- Liam Knight
- Jesse Arthurs

Keep an eye on
- Hutchison straightened attack on the right for Bulldogs and looked good in shifts
- Taaffe at fullback played well, good field positioning but probably played as good as he could, was chiming into attack often again on right side with Hutchison.
- Kautoga defensively was great, bench smokey for sure
- Tapine looked on a mission class above anyone best running forward, starting season strong

Comback
- Xerri: solid start will be better for the run. Did look better against the kids which is a good sign.
- Papenhayzen: showed brilliant speed which is impressive given the leg injuries.
- Mitchell: Didn’t do much, did put on a nice pass for a try. Looks slimmer.
nice mate. I thought there was a few positives for the Dogs last night but their attack is a bit too side to side and for all of Ciraldo’s supposed “defensive prowess” they haven’t been tested as yet.

Kautoga, Faamausili and Skelton were all great, but the biggest issue for all three players is doing it consistently. Hutchison solid and will probably get the nod over Sexton, who I thought was extremely impressive. Xerri did well for a first hitout.

as for Melbourne they defended incredibly well on their goalline despite being their own worst enemies, although Canterbury played a bit too sideways. Papenhuyzen, Wishart and Loiero were the only three in that side that’ll feature regularly, and all three did ok. very much a nothing trial for Melbourne, but Canterbury will take some confidence.

nice mate. I thought there was a few positives for the Dogs last night but their attack is a bit too side to side and for all of Ciraldo’s supposed “defensive prowess” they haven’t been tested as yet.

Kautoga, Faamausili and Skelton were all great, but the biggest issue for all three players is doing it consistently. Hutchison solid and will probably get the nod over Sexton, who I thought was extremely impressive. Xerri did well for a first hitout.

as for Melbourne they defended incredibly well on their goalline despite being their own worst enemies, although Canterbury played a bit too sideways. Papenhuyzen, Wishart and Loiero were the only three in that side that’ll feature regularly, and all three did ok. very much a nothing trial for Melbourne, but Canterbury will take some confidence.
Melbourne have won in rd one for 20 odd years straight or something outlandish. Don’t doubt Belly ache, proof the trials mean nought.

Bulldogs should be better this year the issue I see is how they setup their attack & can they convert.
I’m not convinced their forwards will get them going either + defensively still huge questions.

Here's what we learned about the Bulldogs from that trial.
Absolutely nothing.
It was a trial against sub standard opposition. Maybe they'll be better, maybe they won't. The trial gave no indication either way.
Performance under pressure in a real game where points are on the line is the only indicator.
Don't believe me? Look at our trials in past years and the many superstars like Matheson Johns and Tuki Simpkins that were touted as future stars after them.

Sexton is definitely a NRL standard player and still improving.
I’m hoping Sezer will be prepared to dig deep into the line and create space outside like he does.

Compete for the full 80 + minutes
do not drop our heads
when in a good spot to get points convert the position to points

Knights steamroll past a mostly b side Sharks outfit. Some nice kicking touches from the Knights by multiple options so can see thats been a big focus in the offseason.

William Pryce held his own in this game when given a run which isn’t a bad sign

For the sharks Hazelton & McInnes looked very good outmatched their opposite numbers.

Dykes in his game back was ineffective has alot of work ahead of him to get even back to his best.

As to worst on park will say ball handling across the park was ordinary at times - was like a knock on a thon at a few points then error free. Thats what trials are about though.

Manly reggies basically up against roosters best side almost so will be interesting if the Roosters start the year strong - after last year they will need it.

Early days
Agree these tigers at manly is early days and in fact I don't give a damm how these guys go at manly .My concern is im dubious about our backline 2024 .Apart from Bula and Olam and possibly Toa imo the rest of the 1-5 seem very ordinary .Our 6 & 7 no opinion yet still a mystery to see how they click

Latest posts

Back