Prediction for captain 2023

So it's no to Viliame Kikau then? 🤣

I agree it's Joffa for me.
Na changed my mind.
WT have history of making players captains and leadership roles as a motivational tool ( with no success of late) so I'm thinking it might be AD. 🤔

AD has a lot of qualities to be a captain.
I'd like to know if he's in the clubs plans long term though before awarding him the (C)

That article said he's a front runner but it's the writers speculation as there wasn't any direct quote from Sheens.

Probably can't give it to a new guy.

@THE_POM Did say, keep an eye on IF AD makes the leadership group and that'll speak volumes.

We will see....

I'd like to know if he's in the clubs plans long term though before awarding him the (C)

That article said he's a front runner but it's the writers speculation as there wasn't any direct quote from Sheens.

@THE_POM Did say, keep an eye on IF AD makes the leadership group and that'll speak volumes.

We will see....
Speaking of the POM, when's he back from holidays?

Agree with you Hal.
That might just be the added motivation he needs to really bloom, and stay.
But imo TS will definitely suss that out before deciding.
Big job bringing together mercenaries with local juniors. Two entirely different leadership styles required.
Maybe his previous spit the dummy acts have made him questionable as a leader. But we were talking of him as a potential captain previously.

We haven't bothered with having a captain, goal kicker, halfback or defence for years, why start now? Joffa is the only logical choice, so WT will probably bring back Sharon to captain from the bench.

We will see....

Agree with this.
No point having AD as Captain if he isn’t sticking around or they haven’t committed a set spot to him.

Without seeing training & just basing things off media articles/other’s observations Klemmer is one who is leading by example & taking some kids under his wing.

We have turned over so many in such a short time that the place needs real leadership. Not a puppet and not someone who is mates with all the boys all the time.

What we need is a player who can be "Captain Grumpy" when needed.

Someone who leads by example.

Someone with the courage to call out his team mates (not on the paddock) and ruffle some feathers for non performance.

Someone with the integrity and standards to be able stand up to Sheens and management on behalf of the team if required.

Someone who puts the team, and his mates, first; not when something bad happens but every day, on and off the paddock and in all aspects of his being.

Someone who who is prepared to study and understand leadership.

Someone to develop this club into a powerhouse of rugby league.

That, my friends, is not AD. He clearly puts himself before the team, as evidenced by his "I'll tear my party dress if I don't play 5/8 episode", and he doesn't lead by example (unless he feels like it at the time), as evidenced by his defence, picking up his mouthguard instead of attacking the opposition and the fact that he fades in and out of games. He may be a good bloke and well liked by his team mates and is a fan favourite. That doesn't make him a leader.

Joffa has demonstrated leadership in times of adversity and may have the "stuff" required to build around. Does Sheens think he is a permanent fixture?

Api, has demonstrated to me in a couple of incidents (NSW indiscretion and the WT joke after the GF) that he doesn't cut it.

Klemmer may have the hardness and drive to pull it off in the short term. What got him out of favour with Newcastle may be what we need right here, right now.

So for mine (and very much an outside view) Joffa and Klem are the front runners; but not the ones to drive us to become a powerhouse I want us to become. I see them both as interim leaders. The captain after next is the one that should drive us to greatness. A Club Captain that should come from within our system. Someone selected now based on skill, personality and drive and developed to become a charismatic, performance based and outputs driven, leader of Wests Tigers as a club.

We have just come from a leadership model based on consensus with the coach. What we need is an Alan Border, and the leader after next someone more like Punter!

I know - opinions are like bum holes. Living in a rural area I am not tight with the club or the playing group so maybe AD will be our saviour; I have serious doubts though.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Hi Team

What is the hype behind AD as Captain?

Nice bloke, but what leadership potential are you guys seeing that I'm?

Not having a dig - I'm not close enough to the club to understand the ins and outs - but from what I have seen he is lacking in so many departments.

Clearly I'm missing something.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Since when does being a good player imply leadership. Les Boyd and Todd Carney were good players. Would you make either of them captain in their respective teams?

Our team has lacked leadership for some time - if we are serious about turning this joint around leadership is a key ingredient.

Some decent players wouldn't go astray either - but this thread is specifically about leadership in 23!

What are the leadership qualities that some think AD possesses?
For mine he is overly emotional (cryer), does not rally the boys on the field, inconsistently leads by example by not being an 80 minute competitor and most importantly, hasn’t locked down a position in the team.
He can play the game on occasion. This is not a dig at his footballing abilities.

Just weird, Brooks obviously in the halves, rumours Laurie to be tried in the halves, all three don't at his stage have contracts for 2024. Why would you consider any of them as captain! It surely won't motivate the team. I can just see AD, with an already big head, telling Klem to lift his game !
The reply would not be able to be printed here.

Back