Recruitment - not so simple

towntiger

The injury crisis is not just hurting us on the field this year, it is actually going to seriously affect us next year and we are already seeing the signs of that.

With the scale of injuries and more importantly the length of time players are off the field (Galloway, Moltzen, Ayshford, Lawrence etc) we are having to blood many young players to fill the gaps (Buchanan, Sefumanufangai, Spence, Sue, Sironen etc.). Most of these young players are on match payment incentivised agreements that are usually in the area of $2k-$3k per game they play. Every dollar they earn from these payments is calculated in a team's salary cap the FOLLOWING YEAR.

So for instance if Buchanan, Sefumanufangai, Spence, Sue and Sironen to use as an example played 10 games each this year (10 x $3,000 = $30,000 x 5 players = $150,000). That is $150,000 out of next year's cap before a ball is kicked. Add to this most of these type of players will have a clause in their agreements that state if they play 'x' number of games they receive a contract upgrade. That may cost another $50,000-$100,000 across these same five players. All of a sudden we are at potentially $250,000 out of the cap.

You would probably find that players such as Utai, Reddy, Bell and these kind of 'journeyman' players would also have match payment bonuses (about $1500) or a contract bonus triggered by a numba of games played.

The issue this will cause for the Tiges is that at this early stage of the season it is hard to predict how many games these fringe players will play and what this will mean for next year's salary cap. From a recruitment point of view this makes it hard to go out and buy certain players as you really don't know what you are playing with.

A clean-out is also not necessarily the best option as you will end up paying a percentage of each player's salary even though they are not there putting further strain on the salary cap and recruitment.

Many people wonder how clubs such as Roosters, Bulldogs and Storm continue to get players, each case is a little different:

* Roosters: They pre-paid a percentage of Maloney's contract from last year's cap. Effectively they had Maloney 'on the books' last year. With regards to Jennings, O'Donnell they picked them up in the pre-season so their existing teams will be still paying a percentage of their contract, but more importantly they will have them on a staggered contract where they could realistically be playing on the Roosters cap for as little as $50,000 each this year. It is a shrewd approach, but also means that from time to time you will have poor seasons taking this approach. As we have seen with the Roosters they can easily finish at the top of the ladder and then slide back down as their cap becomes tight in coming seasons. They are effectively trying to 'buy a comp' in a two-year period and then live off this for a few years to come before starting the cycle again. They will also top up many of these 'small' deals with third party money driven by their high-powered board.

* Bulldogs: Third Party Money. Its that simple. The Bulldogs fund the majority of their players on third party agreements to supplement reduced 'on the cap' salaries. Because of the wealth of the Bulldogs Leagues Club and their financial commitments to the Football Club, the Bulldogs can re-direct prospective corporate partners money to players instead of going into the club's P&L. This is why the Bulldogs Football Club loses around $3-4million per season. The club would provide to a third party sponsor 'free' corporate boxes, appearances, tickets etc. and would take this on as a club cost whilst the player receives the cash. They reportedly have many members of the Board of Directors who are actively chasing these deals amongst businesses every day. Its a nice position to be in, but WT don't have the financial luxury of the leages clubs backing them to this extent.

* Storm: You cannot doubt their great culture and ability to build a team around their key players - there is no dancing around this, they have a great system away from the spotlight of Sydney and Brisbane media that ensures they build the best footballers. They do also however pick up many players in the pre-season at a bargain (when other teams are under salary cap pressure) or mid–season when players who are not getting a start or their team is under cap pressure need to let them go. Many of these are signed to their second tier salary cap. Again they are also backed by very successful Melbourne businessmen who 'legally' these days still contribute significant amounts to their players to reduce actual salaries. Storm are also still benefiting from the salary cap scandal. For years they were able to recruit the best junior players and bring them through the system. Many of these juniors are still in the system and are coming through now. Don't be fooled, they have juniors signed up all over the place particularly in NZ and Qld where they warehouse juniors for years. They could on most occasions double the best offer from another club for good talent. This is as important as signing big names – they are basically signing players, picking who to keep and then bringing them into their 20's and NRL. They also invest in a huge web of scouts that other clubs just can't afford.

The most important part of recruitment is third party money, simple as that. It should be the focus of the board and the club to find the money to complement the big player salaries. Other than that you can't compete.

I don't know your sources but if true that's very interesting. It certainly rings true especially for the Bulldogs and Roosters. Not so convinced by the Storm: they don't actually do many things you'd expect of a club with reams of good juniors, like win the 20s competition or bring though lots of star-level talent. Personally I suspect they mainly benefit from being able to do their development out of the eye of the Sydney clubs and media, which lets them train players they like to fit their system.

It's certainly clear that clubs with better resources can manage round the salary cap even without breaching it. But wheher you do or do not have stacks of cash it's damned hard to compete when your cap is packed to the gunwhales with dead money like what we're paying to Blair, Anasta, Moltzen, Tuqiri et al.

Some of this does not sound right. I thought there was a limit on how many players you can have on third money payments and also a limit in the dollar value.

For example, you mention the Bulldogs. They could not have Barba on say $800k per season but only $200k of salary cap money and the other $600k from a third party.

There's a limit for club associated third party payments.

When the money is coming from outside club sponsors and affiliates though, they can spend all they like.

A great read - thank you.

My concern is that in the coming 12 to 18 months we will really start to feel the pressure with contract upgrades for our gun young-uns. The likes of Tedesco will attract big money in coming years as other clubs will see him as a great, long-term investment well worth the $$$

I will be absolutely filthy if we lose the likes of Teddy, Sirro, Woods and Brooks because we have old players on the books tied to long term contracts until they're in their mid thirties.

Just wanting to confirm TownTiger ?? When you talk about match payment are you talking about win bonuses or actual match payments

A lot of these trigger bonuses you talk about are also only triggered on X amount of victories , Top 8 ,Top 4 playing SOO ,Test Football

If they don't win x amount of games in most cases they will get diddly squat

A bit similiar to having your own KPI's

@sameulcon said:
Some of this does not sound right. I thought there was a limit on how many players you can have on third money payments and also a limit in the dollar value.

For example, you mention the Bulldogs. They could not have Barba on say $800k per season but only $200k of salary cap money and the other $600k from a third party.

It is the way the Broncos did year after year. Lockyer took up little cap space and was on big big money from non related third parties.

To compete you have to have many non related third party lined up. Our club is very poor at this in relation to the Dogs, Storm and Broncos.

We do however recruit young talent very well or have a good junior base. Our 20s, 18s and 16s are up there with the best in their age groups.

We need to keep the best of our young talent as our base going forward. We also need to make the right signings in key positions to supplement our junior talent. Our 2005 competition win was based out a core of young juniors with the right older players and a few key signings in positions of need. Hodgson and Prince were the key signings and neither were on mega money as both were coming off injuries or poor form.

The Tigers can definitely compete in the coming years with the junior talent we have. To win a comp we need to identify the key positional needs and make the right key signings. Easier said than done.

I still think the emphasis we place on junior talent will help us in the long run.

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

Lockyer according to my sources was on around 200 k a season his last season

Now thats a scary thought

@Cultured Bogan said:
There's a limit for club associated third party payments.

When the money is coming from outside club sponsors and affiliates though, they can spend all they like.

Provided it is not dependant on which club they play with.

E.G if Nike or Channel 9 pay a player for there own IP and they would receive the same payment regardless of who they play with, it does not count. If say the Macarthur advertiser paid a player to write an article, this is dependant on them being a tiger, this payment would count.

The cap is complex.

Im doubtful that Canterbury would have large number of players on 3rd party arrangements.

Their squad is an emerging squad and often emerging players get paid underneath their value, im not suspicious about their squad.

You nailed it with Melbourne, outside the 3 stars and a couple others there is not a lot that would be on huge money a few journeyman, some up and coming juniors or not long established players, some of which were acquired under dubious circustances, cheque book recruitment more or less.

Roosters, I am highly suspicious, i know there is some conjecture around some signings with previous clubs subsidies and alike, but i cant see how they are under…. I have no proof, just my take on it.

@happy tiger said:
Just wanting to confirm TownTiger ?? When you talk about match payment are you talking about win bonuses or actual match payments

A lot of these trigger bonuses you talk about are also only triggered on X amount of victories , Top 8 ,Top 4 playing SOO ,Test Football

Most clubs would wish this were the case. No, not paid on a win - they get paid same amount no matter the result.

Yes they also get rep bonuses, but very rarely Top8/Top4.

The Broncos have the "Thoroughbreds" who are a group of successful business leaders which look after the those outside the cap 3rd party deals. A couple of years ago somewhere Bruno Cullen pretty much went through how they held the side together for so long explaining this system.

The Roosters will always find their way through or around the salary cap. My family are all Roosters fans and I've heard from an uncle that the buying and selling of property is one way of finding a way to pay players more.

I think it's something that just really splits the good sides from the also rans. There are many clubs who just don't have the ability to do what the Broncos, Roosters and the Storm do.

All this salary cap talk is very complex and I think a lot of the times people forget that players can be signed into longer term contracts that are dirt cheap and great value for the club. Its just being lucky like some clubs are unlucky with players who perform poorly in big money. Aaron Woods may have or still could be an example of this though I'm not sure when his last contract was signed and negotiated.

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

@happy tiger said:

Can we put that sought of structure in all our new contracts. Performance is everything. Would of been handy if Bair had this in his contract.I think your onto something Happy

Latest posts

Members online

Back