Recruitment Strategy for 2021 and Beyond

Comment on the potential Jackson Hastings signing.

Given Jackson's history I would qualify this as a 4 signing. That is a chance signing. If this signing is to replace Billy Walters and is a 1 year deal for 2022 with a team option for 2023 and is less than $300,000 pear year (significantly less tbh, more around $200k) I would be mildly okay with it. It doesn't give me great confidence though in light of other similar signings of late. Does Jackson Hastings provide us with off field benefit? Does he help someone like a Mikey Tannous or Jock Madden with their development? I have my doubts. In order for this signing to be successful Jackson Hastings would need to perform at a surprisingly high level on the field and keep his nose exceptionally clean for the first year of his deal. Given that I would be writing get out clauses along these lines into his contract.

C- for me.

@jadtiger said in [Recruitment Strategy for 2021 and Beyond](/post/1338513) said:
@facepalmer said in [Recruitment Strategy for 2021 and Beyond](/post/1338497) said:
Ben Matulino - We paid him a fortune and he was nowhere near even Packer’s level. He actually produced okay but we could have got similar production out of a much cheaper option.

From what i have heard and also what was reported Ben was on less than Packer and imo delivered more in 2 years than Packer has in 4.

For mine our forward stocks felt possibly their biggest loss since Ellis departed when Matulino left the field at Parramatta Stadium. We were so much stronger in the middle with him there, even though he was bone on bone in his knees.

We have never been the same since that evening, with opponents no longer looking to avoid anyone in our defensive line.

@formerguest said in [Recruitment Strategy for 2021 and Beyond](/post/1341917) said:
@jadtiger said in [Recruitment Strategy for 2021 and Beyond](/post/1338513) said:
@facepalmer said in [Recruitment Strategy for 2021 and Beyond](/post/1338497) said:
Ben Matulino - We paid him a fortune and he was nowhere near even Packer’s level. He actually produced okay but we could have got similar production out of a much cheaper option.

From what i have heard and also what was reported Ben was on less than Packer and imo delivered more in 2 years than Packer has in 4.

For mine our forward stocks felt possibly their biggest loss since Ellis departed when Matulino left the field at Parramatta Stadium. We were so much stronger in the middle with him there, even though he was bone on bone in his knees.

We have never been the same since that evening, with opponents no longer looking to avoid anyone in our defensive line.

Agreed Ben gave us decent value for money and i could not fault his efforts for the club and his teammates.Packer however

Revisiting this I think based on this season that my ratings probably held up pretty well and most of the decision around recruitment also. I find it hilarious that I was able to predict Melbourne signing Nick Meaney. Now all we need is for them to turn him into a rep player.

@facepalmer said in [Recruitment Strategy for 2021 and Beyond](/post/1461788) said:
Revisiting this I think based on this season that my ratings probably held up pretty well and most of the decision around recruitment also. I find it hilarious that I was able to predict Melbourne signing Nick Meaney. Now all we need is for them to turn him into a rep player.

And Mikaele, 1 year extension.

Well done.

Also how dudded the Noffa and BJ signings were. Someone give me a job in recruitment.

What's frustrating is that the Roosters managed to get Walker for a million over 2, probably less next year and more the year after. This meant they were then able to keep priority players at the cost of Cordner, Jake Friend and the Morris Twins retiring. The Roosters did incredible business this year. They should have been a massive target from other clubs and they managed to basically keep everyone they wanted.

RE-SIGNED
Fletcher Baker (2023), Egan Butcher (2023), Nat Butcher (2024), Lindsay Collins (2026), Angus Crichton (2022), Drew Hutchison (2023), Billy Smith (2023), Daniel Tupou (2023), Sitili Tupouniua (2024), Sam Verrills (2024), Sam Walker (2023)

@facepalmer said in [Recruitment Strategy for 2021 and Beyond](/post/1461790) said:
Also how dudded the Noffa and BJ signings were. Someone give me a job in recruitment.

Happy to give you a go as long as you can sign 1 (just 1that's all I need to start with) external NRL player... For some reason the current recruitment team think we are the Storm or Roosters and players are coming here for below average salaries and NO brown paper bags..

Tyrone Peachey and Isiah Papali'i signings get a massive tick here. Both very good business. Not sure about Gildart cuz no idea what he's getting paid.

Also lol at the Roosters re-signing Joey Manu.

@macdougall said in [Recruitment Strategy for 2021 and Beyond](/post/1509269) said:
Tyrone Peachey and Isiah Papali'i signings get a massive tick here. Both very good business. Not sure about Gildart cuz no idea what he's getting paid.

Also lol at the Roosters re-signing Joey Manu.

Both good signings and we didn’t pay overs (IMO).

@facepalmer said in [Recruitment Strategy for 2021 and Beyond](/post/1461793) said:
Fletcher Baker (2023), Egan Butcher (2023), Nat Butcher (2024), Lindsay Collins (2026), Angus Crichton (2022), Drew Hutchison (2023), Billy Smith (2023), Daniel Tupou (2023), Sitili Tupouniua (2024), Sam Verrills (2024), Sam Walker (2023)

That is a massive deal and don't forget they added Conner Watson and Paul Momo (for 300K a season, seriously on current form we would pay 400K no questions).

I am going to Spew!

Members online

Back