Referendum 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Champ. Link fixed.

Funny how you bring up the far right. Next you'll be blaming Trump.

I put the far right and Trump in the cooker category.

Fact:

2021/2022 there were 106 deaths in custody. Of those, 24 were indigenous, 81 were non indigenous and there was one poor bloke that they didn't know what box he ticked.

Your figures prove that the point you made was completely wrong. There is clearly a disproportionate number of Indigenous deaths in custody compared to the non-Indigenous community.

I love facts and data.

What is the biggest problem facing Aboriginal people?

Who can answer this and with all due respect I don't think it is relevant to the Voice referendum. I'd love to discuss the issue in a little more depth though.

I think the question should be how can society help Indigenous people in order to close the gap ?

I also think society can't fix everyone's problems and there needs to be some self-initiative. I went out with my Muslim family members last night. I live a much more entitled life than what they do but they really try hard. All the kids (8 of them) and they are now having kids scored over 90 on the HSC. They don't drink or do drugs.

Last edited:
In my head this is an easy one to respond too. They are Indigenous. There is no reason for any other disadvantaged groups to have a Voice.

We also have Indigenous affairs etc. This argument is in my opinion a poor one.
Yeah…screw the poor let them die in the gutter.
LOL this guy has all the worst takes in here.
Comes off like a selfish, entitled brat.

You see, I believe that all lives matter.

I'm going to touch on this one. It's not a very good argument and it's sort of considered racist. I'm not calling you a racist and I'm not trying to be too emotional or anything like that.

I'm just trying to explain why this is a poor argument and I'm trying to do it without drama.

The issue is that you aren't facing the facts that certain groups have it tougher. The data provided on deaths in custody by yourself proves the point that Indigenous people suffer more from this issue (and probably a lot of other issues) than non-indigenous people. When you state this statement it really comes across as you don't care that about these outcomes which are not good.

It's also the zero-sum game argument.

Last edited:
I understand this upsets some people but it's not ridiculous at all. At some point it's about trying to improve the situation.

We need as a society to stop the black deaths in custody. If this stops one person getting locked up who then commits suicide in jail it's worth it.
LMFAO another piss poor take!
I think this guy is just trolling now.
Yes great idea Earl…let’s keep the career criminals out of prison because they may get depressed and kill themselves.
These guys aren’t in there for drunk and disorderly. Some of them are the worst bastards in the country, with rap sheets longer than they are tall.
Also not many people go to jail for something so trivial. It shows how poorly they've adapted to our society. This could even be considered Institutional racism.
Shut up 🤣🤣🤣

It’s interesting that an advocate for the voice suggested there may be 24 members of the Voice, pretty much the same number of NIAA offices located strategically around the country.

This is pretty funny.

Who can answer this and with all due respect I don't think it is relevant to the Voice referendum. I'd love to discuss the issue in a little more depth though.

I think the question should be how can society help Indigenous people in order to close the gap ?

I also think society can't fix everyone's problems and there needs to be some self-initiative. I went out with my Muslim family members last night. I live a much more entitled life than what they do but they really try hard. All the kids (8 of them) and they are now having kids scored over 90 on the HSC. They don't drink or do drugs.
Lol and another one.
We have numerous bodies, policy’s and organisations that are working to close the gap…and it is being closed.
You make it sound like absolutely nothing is being done currently.
Also…do you seriously think all Aboriginal communities live in dire poverty?
Your knowledge of this topic is embarrassing. There are plenty of Aboriginal people raising their families free of drugs and alcohol and basing their future on hard work, rather than depending on handouts.
You don’t know what you are talking about.

Sorry Champ. Link fixed.

Funny how you bring up the far right. Next you'll be blaming Trump.

Fact:

2021/2022 there were 106 deaths in custody. Of those, 24 were indigenous, 81 were non indigenous and there was one poor bloke that they didn't know what box he ticked.
Don’t let your facts get in the way of Earls simple take on this issue.

Where it belongs. Hasn't got a snowflakes chance
in hell of happening. The word sovereignty has
been weaponized by the no campaign
. Just more
scare tactics. It's not what the voice is for/about
the "words" that have been "weaponised" from the No campaign have come out of the mouths fo advocates for the Yes campaign. They are saying the quiet part out loud.

Thomas Mayo - signatory to the Uluru Statement (Voice)

the "words" that have been "weaponised" from the No campaign have come out of the mouths fo advocates for the Yes campaign. They are saying the quiet part out loud.

Thomas Mayo - signatory to the Uluru Statement (Voice)

One blokes old tweets, who cares. Doesn't
make what I said wrong - it's a pipe dream.

How do you feel about leading No campaigner
Warren Mundine saying he would consider vying
for a spot on the Voice should the referendum
succeed? He also mentioned that defeat in the
looming referendum would make treaties between governments and First Nations more
likely, and called for a change to the date of Australia Day, a position that the official no case,
in a pamphlet distributed to voters, warned against as a potential “radical” consequence
of a yes vote. He said this the other day while
10's of thousands of Australians turned out in
droves across the country for the yes rally. No
voters are hiding in plain sight, it's hilarious

I put the far right and Trump in the cooker category.

Your figures prove that the point you made was completely wrong. There is clearly a disproportionate number of Indigenous deaths in custody compared to the non-Indigenous community.

I love facts and data.

You might love facts and data Earl but you have zero clue how to use them. Indigenous people make up a third of the Australian prison population. Non indigenous people die in custody at a higher rate proportionally to indigenous people.

One blokes old tweets, who cares. Doesn't
make what I said wrong - it's a pipe dream.

So what you are saying is the No side is weaponising the Yes sides words?
succeed? He also mentioned that defeat in the
looming referendum would make treaties between governments and First Nations more
likely, and called for a change to the date of Australia Day, a position that the official no case,
in a pamphlet distributed to voters, warned against as a potential “radical” consequence
of a yes vote. He said this the other day while
10's of thousands of Australians turned out in
droves across the country for the yes rally. No
voters are hiding in plain sight, it's hilarious
I feel completely ambivalent about it. That what he thinks and feels, good for him, why would it bother me? Im not making my decision on what Warren Mundine or Thomas Mayo says.

The issue is that you aren't facing the facts that certain groups have it tougher. The data provided on deaths in custody by yourself proves the point that Indigenous people suffer more from this issue (and probably a lot of other issues) than non-indigenous people. When you state this statement it really comes across as you don't care that about these outcomes which are not good.

Earl....you should step away.

Indigenous people represent 32% of prison populations but only 23% of deaths in custody.

I'm going to touch on this one. It's not a very good argument and it's sort of considered racist. I'm not calling you a racist and I'm not trying to be too emotional or anything like that.

That's ok. It was established a few pages back that all inhabitants of The Shire are nothing but racist deplorables. That reminds me, it is almost riot season.

Love it when Earl learns a new word. he has Donald Trump and Lidia Thorpe in the same category. Soon he will learn what it means.

It's my favourite word right now. It's fantastic. As soon as you hear something extreme you just go cooker and move on.

That's ok. It was established a few pages back that all inhabitants of The Shire are nothing but racist deplorables. That reminds me, it is almost riot season.

I'm loving the irony of you interpreting my statement that "I dont think that people who live in the Shire are particularly racist." establishes that "all inhabitants of the Shire are nothing but racist, but you still dont understand what it means when you posted ""I don't feel like Aboriginal and Torre Strait Islander people are particularly prone to corruption."

Took a few pages Im glad my post finally served its purpose.

succeed?

This is fascinating. Warren Mundine is stating vote no but and he might become a sitting liberal politician at some point.

His viewpoints on this issue are little bit funny though. He wants a treaty but not the voice. It just sounds a bit off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back