Referendum 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tucker

Hi all,

With the date of 14 October 2023 set for the referendum, it is time for us as a diverse community on here and microcosm of scoiety to come together and debate the pro's and con's of this topic.
Im sure the mods have been dreading the commencement of a thread such as this as political topics draw the worst out of people, however this is a very important scenario and Im certain that many people have not come to a conclusion on their decision as of yet. Changing the constitution is pretty much irreversible and properly informed decisions should be put forward.

Hand on heart, I have a foot in both camps and remain undecided at this juncture. There are some pro's on both sides that outweigh the con's on each for me, just as there are some con's on both sides that dominate the pro's. I will say though, I have become annoyed and dissapointed with the vitriolic rants from the YES campaign led by Albanese and his Government and the targetted attacks of prominant Indigenous NO campaigners such as Nyunggai Warren Stephen Mundine and Jacinta Yangapi Nampijinpa Price. I think the YES campaign have done an astonishingly poor job of selling their argument so far and the divisive nature of the change could result in separatism that I do not agree with. That said, I absolutely support the recognition of First Peoples of this nation.

The Question:
A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice. Do you approve this proposed alteration?

The AEC Official Referendum Booklet:

AEC Voting Requirements:

AEC Counting Process:

Feel free to discuss and please keep it civil so this discussion remains open up until the day. Im sure it will get heated but if we can all put on our big boy pants, we can get through this.
Cheers.

I think the way our Prime Minister has gone about it is completely poor. In my honest opinion there are currently more pressing matters that need to be dealt with such as the rapid rise of cost of living & the current housing & rental crisis. I'll openly admit I voted for Labour as I thought the country needed change from the Libs but I've come to regret that decision although the Libs are terrible also. I think Albo needs to focus on making the country better for all Australians as that is the more concerning priority imo.

I'm also undecided, on one hand I do think we need drastic change to support indigenous peoples, but on the other I don't think the government have at all conveyed how this will support/benefit the indigenous. Rather it's an opportunity for the elite/educated indigenous to have a voice, which doesn't solve any problems. The government's position to me has been 'well you're racist if you vote no', which is disappointing.

Voting with my brain and not my heart. Which is no
If they convey how it will help the indigenous in rural parts of Australia and not the rich ones looking for a land grab in Sydney, i may change my mind.
Voting No doesn’t mean never voting yes either. They need to go back to the drawing board and explain how and why it will help them. (Although i dont want to hear more of this for another 12 months)
Changing the constitution is a big risk.

I think the way our Prime Minister has gone about it is completely poor. In my honest opinion there are currently more pressing matters that need to be dealt with such as the rapid rise of cost of living & the current housing & rental crisis. I'll openly admit I voted for Labour as I thought the country needed change from the Libs but I've come to regret that decision although the Libs are terrible also. I think Albo needs to focus on making the country better for all Australians as that is the more concerning priority imo.

Can you point to a period when there are no compelling issues? Also what’s compelling for you is not necessarily compelling for others.

I think not having political discussions on the forum was frankly a good thing but anyway…

I’m voting yes. It’s a no-brainer for me - all opportunity, zero risk. It shows how little progress we’ve made as a country on reconciliation that the referendum looks like failing.

I think not having political discussions on the forum was frankly a good thing but anyway…

I’m voting yes. It’s a no-brainer for me - all opportunity, zero risk. It shows how little progress we’ve made as a country on reconciliation that the referendum looks like failing.
no doubt we should be saying yes, but besides the racist comments, why should we?
Racist comments have nothing to do with saying no. Many people are saying NO because they don’t know what impact saying no will have on our constitution.

no doubt we should be saying yes, but besides the racist comments, why should we?
Racist comments have nothing to do with saying no. Many people are saying NO because they don’t know what impact saying no will have on our constitution.
It will have zero impact for most Australians and potentially far reaching impact for arguably the most disadvantaged group in the country. It probably speaks more to how self-centred we’ve become as a society that people aren’t willing to see these things.

Most people i know who say they are going to vote no are only doing so because they have been persuaded by the scare and misinformation campaigns ran by the LNP.

It will have zero impact for most Australians and potentially far reaching impact for arguably the most disadvantaged group in the country. It probably speaks more to how self-centred we’ve become as a society that people aren’t willing to see these things.
Zero impact? Absolutely no impact?
So they wont change any other part of the constitution? Just simply add in this part?

Can you point to a period when there are no compelling issues? Also what’s compelling for you is not necessarily compelling for others.
I think Australians being forced to relocate from their homes & homelessness rapidly increasing is currently more important then a referendum which no one really has an idea on what it's going to achieve.

Most people i know who say they are going to vote no are only doing so because they have been persuaded by the scare and misinformation campaigns ran by the LNP.
And that’s the disappointing thing. Dutton and Ley have done worse than my very low expectations. Rather than making compelling well reasoned arguments for no we’ve mostly seen a ridiculous, hysterical misinformation campaign that has mocked the reconciliation process and deliberately making obfuscated the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Back