Reynolds sets sights on NRL after successful injury comeback

G

# Reynolds sets sights on NRL after successful injury comeback

Alicia Newton - NRL.com Reporter

Sun 24 Mar 2019, 07:46 PM

Out-of-favour Wests Tigers playmaker Josh Reynolds has overcome a series of nerves to make a successful comeback in reserve grade on Sunday afternoon.

The 29-year-old has been left out of Michael Maguire's first-grade side over the past fortnight after he was restricted to just five games in 2018 with hamstring and shoulder injuries plaguing him.

Reynolds starred for Western Suburbs with two tries and four assists in their 48-10 thumping of the Warriors in club's curtain raiser.

"I'm honestly so happy to play a game, it was a big relief," Reynolds said.

"I figured out I haven't played a full game since round five last year. I was nervous, I was spewing before the game and I never do. You have your doubts having not played for a long time.

"The best thing I took out of today was that I had so much fun, coming back with a bit less pressure and the group of boys I come back to make it so easy, just a great bunch of guys and I'm glad I got to do the first one like that."

Reynolds joined the Wests Tigers in 2018 as a marquee man and he's felt the pressure from fans to repay the faith given his injury history.

The Campbelltown crowd gave a standing ovation to the former Bulldog following the result.

"It was nice, I was getting a bit of spray from the other side saying you've got to play first grade," Reynolds said.

"It's out of my power but it comes with the territory. I come over here and am expected to play good footy and I haven't been able to do that. If you look at it in that sense they're right and it comes with playing footy."

Reynolds remained upbeat about the situation despite the initial disappointment of missing out in the Wests Tigers' opening two games.

He said Maguire had instructed him to work on defensive aspects of his game.

"It hurts me, absolutely hurts me. Last year I was injured and this year I wasn't picked," Reynolds said.

"I'm not going to carry on, I'm just going to play footy and when the time comes I'll be ready to go.

"It's more my defence, he knows my attack will come and I'll work on my tempo but just winning my tackles.

"Hopefully they seen that today. I feel I was competitive and did a few good things so that's what I want to continue."

I for one want to see him back in the 6 jersey in first grade, I think Brooks would improve with Grub next to him, he wouldn't be so afraid to call the ball.
l would love for Grub to get a good run with injuries and play some decent footy

He called for the ball plenty of times and he was great.

Could be getting close.
Wasn't wrapped in Benji's performance tonight, but hard to make too many changes to a winning team.

@Earl said:
He called for the ball plenty of times and he was great.

I never said he wasn't good, Brooks had a good game, but I think he would go to whole new level without Benji there

@Sabre said:
Could be getting close.
Wasn’t wrapped in Benji’s performance tonight, but hard to make too many changes to a winning team.

Me either, and his game last week was ordinary too, but Madge seems to like him

@upthetigers said:
Great to hear. Did he play the full 80?

If you are refering to Brooks yes, he set up MCK in the last few minutes for the final try

Benji isn't killing it but he won't be going anywhere if he just keeps doing what he's doing and there's no chance of JRey getting picked on the bench.

As long as Benji and Farah keep playing the way they have been, we won't see JRey or Liddle at all and neither should we.

I'm not sure how Madge will play Benji and Robbie this year. That was a tough game and they got through it. Robbie has had a blinder in 2/2 games. Benji hasn't but is playing in a winning team. At some stage Madge will get Reynolds into the team. If that's after a lost or someone is injured or with Benji needs a week off.

There's no way we would be changing the team at the moment. Josh will get his turn once the team loses or benji needs some recovery time ( if he keeps up this form. )

With the risk of being flamed but could Reynolds make a case as centre for us? While I think Masters is a lock, no-one really stands out in the left. Jennings played there today but didn’t do much.

I just think he adds lots to a team with his enthusiasm and can create something. I know defensively it can be a tough position and he would need some time to adjust but I want him in the team and am happy with our bench impact.

I don’t really think he has the physique for a Centre. He had a great game today and was certainly a class above. But in my opinion I think he is still a little underdone. Another game or two in the Canterbury Cup for me.

@bbobb said:
could Reynolds make a case as centre for us?

No I don’t think so. But I’d be interested to hear how Gamble went at centre today. Anyone there to comment??

@bbobb said:
With the risk of being flamed but could Reynolds make a case as centre for us?

Not if the thing that has Maguire most concerned is his defence. Centre is one of the worst places you could have him defending especially given he'd be completely unfamiliar with the role. He'll get his shot in first grade and I imagine it'll come sooner rather than later through either injury to Benji or (hopefully) his form demanding selection.

Momo and Jennings today have been great in defence, part of the reason we are doing well, not as many weak links.

Gamble was solid. Not sure he is up to First Grade standard though. Not in the same caliber as Masters or Jennings.

I reckon Benji is playing exactly how the team needs, just as he did last season. Grub will get his chance as soon as Benji tires and it might not be too far off given the tempo of game speed this year.

Sadly, Marshall and Farah's form is going to dip a little given their age and the length of the season. Sooner or later Josh will get a shot.

Nofo is another who is likely to have to come back through reserves.

Members online

Back