Rise in injuries in 2022

BlackWhiteGold

Is this just bad luck or due to broader strength & conditioning reasons such as training load management? I am sure this is part of Sheens mid-season review!

INJURIES IN 2022
Adam Doueihi ACL
Daine Laurie MCL
Tommy Talau ACL
Liam Scolari ACL
Rua Ngatikaura ACL
Shawn Blore ACL
Jacob Liddle PCL
James Roberts Back
Brandon Webster-Mansfield Knee
Asu Kepaoa Pectoral
Brandon Tumeth Stress Fractures
Jake Simpkin Ankle
Stefano Utoikamanu Ankle
William Kei ???
Api Saukuru ???
Luke Brooks Hamstring
Oliver Gildart Calf
David Nofoaluma Concussion
Alex Twal Concussion
Tomas Mikaele Concussion

* Hastings, Maumalo & Tuilagi have been playing with injuries
* Kautoga & Guyan two other juniors sidelined over multiple weeks

Is this just bad luck or due to broader strength & conditioning reasons such as training load management? I am sure this is part of Sheens mid-season review!

INJURIES IN 2022
Adam Doueihi ACL
Daine Laurie MCL
Tommy Talau ACL
Liam Scolari ACL
Rua Ngatikaura ACL
Shawn Blore ACL
Jacob Liddle PCL
James Roberts Back
Brandon Webster-Mansfield Knee
Asu Kepaoa Pectoral
Brandon Tumeth Stress Fractures
Jake Simpkin Ankle
Stefano Utoikamanu Ankle
William Kei ???
Api Saukuru ???
Luke Brooks Hamstring
Oliver Gildart Calf
David Nofoaluma Concussion
Alex Twal Concussion
Tomas Mikaele Concussion

* Hastings, Maumalo & Tuilagi have been playing with injuries
* Kautoga & Guyan two other juniors sidelined over multiple weeks
-MCLs and LCLs (less common) are almost always impact injuries (largely luck)
-ACLs can be impact or non. Non-impact can be S&C contributory or a pre-disposition to instability/risky force absorption in gait/etc.
-Concussions are generally (bad) luck based. There's occasion where technique is the culprit, but rarer than many think.
- Ankle ligament injuries are almost always impact or surface-related, eg, stepping in a pothole or uneven surface.
-You could argue that soft tissue injuries (hamstrings, calves, pecs, etc) and even stress fractures to a degree could be exacerbated by S and C protocols (ranges, exercise choice, load management, volume, etc), definitely a discussion to be had, but still, pre-disposition and history will be major risk factors here.

So there's some discussion to be had there, but I think it's largely coincidence. I think globally, across the league, there's something to be said for S and C approaches to managing ACL risk factors, but that's a different discussion.

Agree that a lot of the knee injuries are a result of bad luck and the physical nature of the game with running, sudden stops and tackling. However in terms of OH&S I think the NRL is dangerous territory regarding the cannonball tackle and such forth where the aim, accidental or otherwise, is to twist the knee joints to the limit or beyond.

This is dangerous and should be wiped out- if the referee and judiciary have supposedly got serious over head contact, surely the knees are next. Too many players from all clubs are out for the season or longer with serious knee damage.

More than a few players with a couple of knee injuries are only one tackle away from a career ending injury. If that injury happens to come from a cannonball or similar type of tackle, if the NRL does nothing, I'd be tempted to take both the NRL and the player/s that did the tackle to court to seek injury compensation.

• Love
Reactions: BZN
I am not an expert but I think the way the game has changed is contributing.
The 6 again calls is the worst rule I have seen added to the game and IMO needs to go.
There is other ways to quicken the game.

-MCLs and LCLs (less common) are almost always impact injuries (largely luck)
-ACLs can be impact or non. Non-impact can be S&C contributory or a pre-disposition to instability/risky force absorption in gait/etc.
-Concussions are generally (bad) luck based. There's occasion where technique is the culprit, but rarer than many think.
- Ankle ligament injuries are almost always impact or surface-related, eg, stepping in a pothole or uneven surface.
-You could argue that soft tissue injuries (hamstrings, calves, pecs, etc) and even stress fractures to a degree could be exacerbated by S and C protocols (ranges, exercise choice, load management, volume, etc), definitely a discussion to be had, but still, pre-disposition and history will be major risk factors here.

So there's some discussion to be had there, but I think it's largely coincidence. I think globally, across the league, there's something to be said for S and C approaches to managing ACL risk factors, but that's a different discussion.
Since the game has changed, S&C needs to as well. The ideal body that worked 2-3 years ago doesn't work in today's game. I hope we are keeping tabs on this and making sure our juniors are doing the right gym work.

Another thing to consider is that most of our injuries are young players. It's normal for young players to suffer injuries, particularly serious ones, as they don't yet understand how their body works or how to manage themselves through a game. Hopefully these guys become less injury prone as they get older.

Since the game has changed, S&C needs to as well. The ideal body that worked 2-3 years ago doesn't work in today's game. I hope we are keeping tabs on this and making sure our juniors are doing the right gym work.
I agree and Tumeth suffering stress fractures in his back may be evidence that they have not been (although this is a one off).

Do our players consider courageously battling on with minor injury or is it maybe a little opportunity to dodge all the outside scrutiny for a while? Noffa going for beers while supposedly suffering ongoing concussion symptoms tends to indicate maybe our players aren’t always as hurt as we think.

I am not an expert but I think the way the game has changed is contributing.
The 6 again calls is the worst rule I have seen added to the game and IMO needs to go.
There is other ways to quicken the game.

Not only does it seem stupid and unfair, the six again calls are also cryptic

The NRL is also defeating it's purpose with their supposedly strict policy of players. Safety.

Sometimes the defending team has to try to endure 3-4 sets of Consecutive
six again calls which means that in this high standard of heavy contact sport the players become exausted due to their excessive fatigue which then places the players at a much higher risk of serious injuries.

It's just not fair on the team and on those determined players who are trying their hardest for themselves and the team .

If the NRL truely cares about players safety then they must remove this dumb high risk six again rule.

it is just a cryptic and an appaling rule.

Not only does it seem stupid and unfair, the six again calls are also cryptic

The NRL is also defeating it's purpose with their supposedly strict policy of players. Safety.

Sometimes the defending team has to try to endure 3-4 sets of Consecutive
six again calls which means that in this high standard of heavy contact sport the players become exausted due to their excessive fatigue which then places the players at a much higher risk of serious injuries.

It's just not fair on the team and on those determined players who are trying their hardest for themselves and the team .

If the NRL truely cares about players safety then they must remove this dumb high risk six again rule.

it is just a cryptic and an appaling rule.
The six again rule is also not good from a fan standpoint. Half the time you don't even know why it was 6 again.

Also, why have were heard nothing about Tommy Talau. He seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Game has changed , trainers etc may be still trying to work out the best way to have a player ready for the fast continued type game it is now , 6 again , 6 again , 6 again this would put a load of pressure on teams defending I think

Members online

Back