Rise in injuries in 2022

Since the game has changed, S&C needs to as well. The ideal body that worked 2-3 years ago doesn't work in today's game. I hope we are keeping tabs on this and making sure our juniors are doing the right gym work.

Another thing to consider is that most of our injuries are young players. It's normal for young players to suffer injuries, particularly serious ones, as they don't yet understand how their body works or how to manage themselves through a game. Hopefully these guys become less injury prone as they get older.
A lot of people may laugh at this but there is proven medical science behind it.
The team should spend at least one day training at the beach. At least during preseason.
Running on the sand has less impact on joints and the sudden changes in direction without impact strengthens ligaments.
Team drills, touch footy can still be done on the beach and as far as endurance goes, running "the dunes" is hard yacker.
It is still one the best forms of rehab for knee injuries.
Post training swim reduces inflammation as well.

Is this just bad luck or due to broader strength & conditioning reasons such as training load management? I am sure this is part of Sheens mid-season review!

INJURIES IN 2022
Adam Doueihi ACL
Daine Laurie MCL
Tommy Talau ACL
Liam Scolari ACL
Rua Ngatikaura ACL
Shawn Blore ACL
Jacob Liddle PCL
James Roberts Back
Brandon Webster-Mansfield Knee
Asu Kepaoa Pectoral
Brandon Tumeth Stress Fractures
Jake Simpkin Ankle
Stefano Utoikamanu Ankle
William Kei ???
Api Saukuru ???
Luke Brooks Hamstring
Oliver Gildart Calf
David Nofoaluma Concussion
Alex Twal Concussion
Tomas Mikaele Concussion

* Hastings, Maumalo & Tuilagi have been playing with injuries
* Kautoga & Guyan two other juniors sidelined over multiple weeks
Such a shame the board is always so clean.

Doueihi comeback clouded​

Monday could be D-Day for the immediate future of Wests Tigers star Adam Doueihi.

He has been medically cleared to make his return from an ACL injury against the Sea Eagles this week, however some at the club want to hold him back given he’s suffered the injury twice now.

He is set to meet with club officials on Monday to discuss how they handle his comeback.

I think I've had this discussion with someone here before but I truly believe that no matter the injury being contact or non-contact, injury risk needs to be minimised.

Most injuries happen towards the end of the game or halves, fatigue is a big reason for it. Your tackling technique, your running and stepping technique is all off once you're fatigued.

There are very minimal exceptions to this Id say. This applies to the entire NRL. Injuries is part of sport but whether it be rehab or injury prevention, clubs need to put in a lot more into it at NRL and especially in the junior levels.

Souths paid $50k for Latrell to go US, that's probably the physio budget of 50 Junior Clubs.

I am sure the crap facilities we have at the moment, the injuries and the fact we get completely dominated physically are all a coincidence

Latest posts

Staff online

Back