LIVE GAME Round 15 vs. Titans

Live Game Discussion
If they have to wire the jaw to put plates in it, that is months of recovery.
I broke mine in a tackle when I was 17 and pushing for selection in the NSW Schoolboys and Penrith rep teams. I had it plated and wired. The surgery wasn't bad but drinking blended roast dinners was.

Some four or five weeks later, against advice and despite being banned by my parents, I played in a series of possibles v probables games for both teams with it wired shut Got through the games no problems and was pretty sure I had played well enough to be selected.

I had an interview with the NSW CHS coach and when he realised my jaw was wired that was the end of the charade - I wasn't selected for either team.

As much as Sheens made it out to be really bad - it is just a broken bone like any other and heals quickly. Much better have a break then damage a ligament or tendon. Jaw also isn't load bearing so pretty easy for it to heal.

I doubt Api will be a silly as 17 yo me though so I expect he will be out for about 8 weeks.

I broke mine in a tackle when I was 17 and pushing for selection in the NSW Schoolboys and Penrith rep teams. I had it plated and wired. The surgery wasn't bad but drinking blended roast dinners was.

Some four or five weeks later, against advice and despite being banned by my parents, I played in a series of possibles v probables games for both teams with it wired shut Got through the games no problems and was pretty sure I had played well enough to be selected.

I had an interview with the NSW CHS coach and when he realised my jaw was wired that was the end of the charade - I wasn't selected for either team.

As much as Sheens made it out to be really bad - it is just a broken bone like any other and heals quickly. Much better have a break then damage a ligament or tendon. Jaw also isn't load bearing so pretty easy for it to heal.

I doubt Api will be a silly as 17 yo me though so I expect he will be out for about 8 weeks.
Unfortunately that’s pretty much his season then. Rest up and get right for next season.

Out of interest, did it affect your confidence getting back onto the field, running into traffic etc?

Mate, the player he injured will be missed so greatly, it will cause us to go on a huge losing run. We aren’t going to win many games, if any, without him.
I get that, but my point is if they suspended him for 6 weeks, how does that help us?

If we were playing the Titans next week, I would care, but we've already played them twice.

Unfortunately that’s pretty much his season then. Rest up and get right for next season.

Out of interest, did it affect your confidence getting back onto the field, running into traffic etc?
Season finishes in 13 weeks, so no, an 8-week layoff would not be season-ending.

I said it before - Chris Lawrence came back in 14 weeks from having his entire face caved-in. Facial injuries can look horrible and be very delicate to start, but healing is generally good and the risk of future repeat injury is low because faces don't usually take consistent high-impact damage in NRL.

Far worse to tear a ligament or break a load-bearing bone like a femur or lisfranc.

Season finishes in 13 weeks, so no, an 8-week layoff would not be season-ending.

I said it before - Chris Lawrence came back in 14 weeks from having his entire face caved-in. Facial injuries can look horrible and be very delicate to start, but healing is generally good and the risk of future repeat injury is low because faces don't usually take consistent high-impact damage in NRL.

Far worse to tear a ligament or break a load-bearing bone like a femur or lisfranc.
Sorry i missed your post. Yeah I was thinking there was only 2 or so weeks difference and didn’t do the math properly lol. I think api will be pushing to get back so fingers crossed he heals well with no complication.

Chris Lawrence was a trooper. Can’t believe he only took 14weeks after that injury. I didn’t think he’d be back at all.

Top 8 is now officially out of reach
Let's just focus on avoiding a second consecutive spoon
Another year without finals
🤬
Not officially yet lol…need to win at least 10 of our last 11.
We’ll be officially dead after the Cowboys game in round 18.

Thinking about that game last night, we seem to have taken a big step backwards with a display that looked more like 2022 Tigers than this year’s version.
Our pack was completely dominated, we played out of our own half for much of the game and kicked from 70 metres out. We had little to no line speed, no pressure on their kickers, no kick chase not any effort whatsoever to compete for the ball in the air. We made too many unforced errors and hence did not control possession. We showed no enthusiasm to win the game.
In short, it was a very very disappointing performance from most of our squad and an extremely poor performance from a few.
Unfortunately it is going to take one hell of an effort for the next two months without Api and Brooks to get back on the right path.

Round 21 is the most important game for us this year.
Must beat the Dragons to escape the spoon.

Your story reminds me of a mate.
He got a 3 year contract with a team, and was dropped in a tackle, fracturing several vertibrae. at 17 years old he was told in a hospital bed he will never play Rugby League again.

Guy was built like a forward and would have done well. Maybe unlucky but IMHO very lucky compaired to Simon O'dwyer and Alex McKinnon, Jarred McCracken etc.

• Sad
Reactions: BZN

I do this for a living. Standard person is 6 weeks out. There is no wiring anymore but will be plated and screws. If really pushed by the club and player you can use heavier plates etc and get him back in 4 weeks but it has its own risks associated.

Lawerance had midface not mandible fracture. The issue with that isn’t the bone healing, that would usually be fine with 6-8weeks, it’s likely the associated head injury associated with it, as the force for that injury pattern the face crumpled to protect the brain from serious damage.

I do this for a living. Standard person is 6 weeks out. There is no wiring anymore but will be plated and screws. If really pushed by the club and player you can use heavier plates etc and get him back in 4 weeks but it has its own risks associated.

Lawerance had midface not mandible fracture. The issue with that isn’t the bone healing, that would usually be fine with 6-8weeks, it’s likely the associated head injury associated with it, as the force for that injury pattern the face crumpled to protect the brain from serious damage.
Thankyou for the informed post!

Reactions: BZN

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Back