TEAM LIST Round 2 vs. Raiders

Team List
If Sezer doesn't start then first of all we need Sullivan to absolutely kill it and have a fantastic kicking game. His kicking was very poor in the trials. If we kick poorly then we'll be annihilated
Yes kicking VIP BB but so is really hard running, backing up and tackling like you’re after someone who’s stolen your wallet !!

I
If Sezer doesn't start then first of all we need Sullivan to absolutely kill it and have a fantastic kicking game. His kicking was very poor in the trials. If we kick poorly then we'll be annihilated
I agree to a certain extent, but what do you call a good kicking game these days ?
The reason I ask is because most of the players with the most highly regarded kicking games such as Cleary, Reynolds DCE simply kick high straight to the opposing winger more often than not,
I realise the attacking kicks to get repeat sets and create try scoring opportunities are very important, but they too are sometimes only as good as your team mates desire to chase and contest the attacking kick,
So the point I’m making is I don’t think it’s rocket science to get a pass mark for your kicking game IF your team mates are highly motivated and committed to their kick chase and contesting the attacking kicks.

Reckon this Saturday needs to be a massive game for Stephano.
If he wants the big boy dollars, he has to own the middle on games like this.
There's enough talent in the pack they just need someone to stand up and take the lead. Klem is too old, Seyfarth too young (and small) and the back rowers are both fitness/finesse guys.
He's gotta show some fire in the belly this week, hope he can do it.
Yep!!! No more talk. Stef needs to make his mark this season.

Faatape speaks so well when he’s interviewed. I’ve got a feeling he’s going to take his opportunity with both hands and make it very difficult to leave him out of the side.
Galvin and Da Silva maybe young, but it’s clear they are very mature dedicated athletes who work extremely hard and lack nothing in confidence.
You could say the same about Latu Fainu and Heath Mason.
So with all the doom and gloom about Benji being a rookie coach and our team in general not being good enough, we at least have young emerging players who have some X factor about them, others who are still young but now with decent NRL experience and should only be better for their prior experience.
I honestly don’t think we will see Seyfarth, Papali’i or To’a struggle in defence again like they did in the trial against the Dragons, I think that was the perfect wake up call luckily when no competition points were on the line.
Can we score enough points is the big query.
In regards to scoring points I believe Benji selecting Sullivan and Gavin is a step in the right direction.
A recent interview with Nathan Cleary was very good with him stating he believes to be a dominant attacking halve you need to be a genuine running threat, not just someone that steers the team around the park.
Well said

I agree to a certain extent, but what do you call a good kicking game these days ?
The reason I ask is because most of the players with the most highly regarded kicking games such as Cleary, Reynolds DCE simply kick high straight to the opposing winger more often than not,
I realise the attacking kicks to get repeat sets and create try scoring opportunities are very important, but they too are sometimes only as good as your team mates desire to chase and contest the attacking kick,
So the point I’m making is I don’t think it’s rocket science to get a pass mark for your kicking game IF your team mates are highly motivated and committed to their kick chase and contesting the attacking kicks.
I'd say at least half of Cleary/DCE's kicks find grass. Sure a good winger/fullback will anticipate many kicks and be in position, kicking slightly early is key. For me long distance kicks need to go at least 50m and preferably find grass. Bombs also need to be high enough so that our chasers can arrive at the same time the ball is in plan so they can contest/tackle immediately. His bombs in the trials were pathetic Brooks type lobs that never gave us a chance to compete and he never kicked the ball very far either. In the Warriors trial Sezer's kicking game found space and bought us time. But yes of course a kick without a solid chase is wasted. There's no excuse to not put effort in.

Reactions: 851
Isaiah Papali'i & John Bateman. I think a lot of our early season performance will come down to how these two perform. If they return to close to their best in A & D and out-perform the opposition backrowers, we'll do well.
We haven't seen either of these twos best since they've been here... I'm very meh towards them both with the ball... Good workers without it at least

Honestly, I don't think we beat Canberra in Canberra but I just want to see some combinations forming, smart choices in the attacking 20 and solid defence.

We all know this is a building year and there will always be some who spit the dummy when we don't win but we need to see the light at the end of the tunnel whilst staying realistic. The team chosen seems to be one building for the future.

Honestly, I don't think we beat Canberra in Canberra but I just want to see some combinations forming, smart choices in the attacking 20 and solid defence.

We all know this is a building year and there will always be some who spit the dummy when we don't win but we need to see the light at the end of the tunnel whilst staying realistic. The team chosen seems to be one building for the future.
I reckon we will lose 20-12. Signs of life but the light at the end of the tunnel remains small.

Quite a few people questioned if our guys were over trained or fatigued after how they performed against St George and it seems confirmed by both Benji and Morris.

Morris said they left NZ on the Monday and only had one training session that week and Benji confirmed that they had planned really hard sessions during the trials and bye round before easing off before our first game.

I am still sceptical after that sour performance against Saints but I am hoping against hope that the boys will surprise 🤞🤞

Quite a few people questioned if our guys were over trained or fatigued after how they performed against St George and it seems confirmed by both Benji and Morris.

Morris said they left NZ on the Monday and only had one training session that week and Benji confirmed that they had planned really hard sessions during the trials and bye round before easing off before our first game.

I am still sceptical after that sour performance against Saints but I am hoping against hope that the boys will surprise 🤞🤞
They looked very flat against St George .. could explain why a little bit. I hold the same positivity as you

You make a good point, we shall see.

As long as he doesn't take a backwards step particularly against Hudson Young and matches his aggression I'll be happy!
All the games this season in particular have so far demonstrated high physicality and aggression on the edges from all teams whether it be running the ball or defending.
No reason why our edges can’t do the same, but it has to happen for us to be a chance of winning games.

I think Faataape will hold his own. He is strong and determined. I'm more worried about Toa. He is the weak link and Tupou and Staines are lucky dips.. I'd like to see Olam and Faataape in 3 & 4 going forward.
Agreed. Faataape is a first grade no doubt. He will be great.

I’m looking forward to watching the Magpies at 12:30 to see how the backs go. Especially my man Alaimalo.

Latest posts

Back