LIVE GAME Round 7 vs. Panthers

Live Game Discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt he’s an upgrade on what we currently have.
Were at the point where we need to somehow offload many players still under contract and bring in some new players that know how to attack.
Yeah the Sullivan money is going to be a 4 year waste. If we could offload him for a gun winger who makes meters, attacking weapon then we balance the squad a bit more

No doubt he’s an upgrade on what we currently have.
Were at the point where we need to somehow offload many players still under contract and bring in some new players that know how to attack.
Yes!

- Naden and Staines, contracted for 2025 - goodbye.

- AJ and Alaimalo - off contract, no new contract.

- Tupou - won't be here in 2025 🐬

- Feledy, has a contract for 2025, worth keeping ??

- Toa and Solo Saukaru, here for 2025 and 2026, what's the word on those guys ?

Surely all can see these are subpar players that need upgrading.

Definitely showed heart but multiple errors leading to tries. Tupou made 1 error yesterday and he has been crucified……..
Worst performance from a fullback I've seen in a long time.

Put it down to inexperience, wet game and a strong opponent but that was a terrible showing.

Definitely showed heart but multiple errors leading to tries. Tupou made 1 error yesterday and he has been crucified……..
Maybe, but they were shit conditions. He didn’t take a backward step. It would be unfair to judge him based on last night.

On the first Penrith try wasn't Api taken out by Martin? Martin jumps nowhere near the ball and pulls Api away from the bomb. The bomb bounces where Api was and Penrith recover. Is that not the disruptor rule? I'm just not sure what explains that decision based on new rules, or even before that rule was brought in?
I thought it was an obvious disrupter. He even had his hands over Api's eyes.

Yes!

I have only seen a few games of Magpies. Is Alaimalo looking ready for first grade yet. He seemed solid in the games I watched

I think the answer has to be our juniors because I don't see enough quality available on the market and, even if it is, we have to compete with 16 other clubs for the good players. Even S G Ball players might be one season away from the NRL. A mate's grandson played SG Ball this year for the Steelers and had a great year in a team that made the finals before losing to the Raiders. This kid looks the goods and is a very grounded kid too.
He's been told by Piggy Riddell and Sean Timmins who have both been heavily involved with his development that his pathway this year is Flegg and then NSW Cup by the end of the year but next year if he continues developing he'll be pushing for a spot in the NRL.
Now we've got good kids in Ball and Flegg and later down the track in our current Harold Matts side. That's where our effort has to be backed up by one or two astute outside buys. First task, though, is to lock down Stef, Galvin, Large and anyone else who's a must keep.
All that means we're possibly looking at 2026 before we're serious finals contenders but we'll be an improving side this year and the year after.

Yes!

At this point in time I would at least keep Naden over Staines, he’s only played 1 game so far this year Naden in first grade and did ok against a strong side while Staines was terrible. If we’re at least gonna offload one it would be Staines first he actually probably has a better chance of getting a deal elsewhere than Naden does I think some teams will need wingers rather than centres.

AJ and Alaimalo agreed they won’t be here next year.

Feledy yes he is worth keeping he’s young and ain’t costing that much money. He’s getting better in Cup and I think he’ll make it in first grade eventually.

To’a I would offload, he’s just not good enough. He tries I’ll give him that but he ain’t worth keeping. As for Saukuru I think he’s only contracted for top 30 until next year but not real sure on him. We may have no choice but to take a chance on him. Not saying he’ll play first grade but I don’t know if many would come for him elsewhere.

If we can at least offload Staines and To’a and replace them with better if possible I think we’ll be ok. Make an offer to Gagai for a start, maybe Oates as well but I don’t think he would leave QLD unless he has no choice. Don’t really think Oates would be better but he at least won’t block off any juniors coming through.

Yes!

Agree.
I’ve watched Alaimalo a few times, he shows glimpses of his talent, but has many weaknesses he needs to fix, so highly unlikely but not impossible he could turn it around.
Feledy is probably the smartest, and best hole running centre we have, but not overly fast and not overly big, he’s also predominantly a left centre.
We have to make a choice moving forward on which left centre we keep as back up to Olam and which of them can make a successful transition to right centre.
Keep in mind To’a was always a left sided player before getting a chance on the right with us, he has a big left foot step which is wasted on the right.
Saukuru and Makasini if we retain him are also predominantly left sided players.

Last edited:
For someone that advocates junior development as strongly as you do I dont see what your beef with him is.
Hes played approx 2 dozen games I think...still in infancy when it comes to Jnr Dev...hes an excitement machine on his day, can save tries like anything and for one so young hes gunna have plenty of ups and down especially in a squad like ours where the rest of the spine is changing from week to week

If we get some outside backs that can break a line and bust a tackle, can put his equally quick winger away with pure speed and footwork then maybe we can get somewhere
As it stand I often see balls spread wide for 2 or 3 players to be running at 45 degrees to the sideline and none even have an idea maybe one should cut back inside rather then them all run themselves outta room

Speed...footwork....eyes up and something between the ears...strength
Thats what we need out wide
Agreed,, they never run the line they should to give the ball player any options. They are always standing back waiting for the next play instead of pushing into the gaps in support. Even the plays where say Seyfarth runs it and offloads before the line he is one of many that is not engaging the line at all.. it is slow and cum and just needs work. These guys really need to play what is in front of them more often.. to try and break the defensive line more before they pass very telegraphed predictable pass that has asked no questions of the defence… the effort is there, just the polish (class) needs to come with more time and experience and teamwork hopefully.🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back