Roy Masters (SMH): Wests Tigers past, future, present

There is plenty of doubt.

There is a geographical fallacy that you can hold or protect an entire region from other clubs poaching. If that were true, Melbourne and Roosters would never be competitive in the NRL owing to their miniscule junior bases.

That is not to say that you do not concentrate on building a long-standing presence and legacy in certain areas, particularly areas historically associated with your brand. But it does mean you cannot stop other clubs from trying to sign juniors from your districts.

There is no guarantee that if you were to uproot the entire operation and move it to Campbelltown, you get a better or stronger output from that district. Obviously it's a moot point because the CoE has now been realised, but they are planning to get a new academy HQ in the Macarthur and this seems sensible.

Why not both? Why can't you have facilities in both districts and not necessarily have to move everything to Campbelltown?

Some of Roy Masters' arguments are so simplistic, so basic. Like he drives to Campbo and he sees some Souths bumper stickers and thinks that's worth mentioning. How statistically irrelevant!
And doesn't he live in Melbourne ? Hence the reference to the Storm etc might be wrong tho.

There's no doubt he's right.
It's time to cut our losses and move to the South West with whatever management team has a vision for the future.
The management of our club allowing Souths and C'Bury to encroach on our area makes my blood boil.
I don't even know how the NRL allows that. When you buy a Jim's Mowing franchise in Raby, the Jim's mowing guy from Redfern can't steal your customers.
We are basically a franchise of the NRL so why are Souths being allowed to cut our grass.
The fact that our management sits back and watches it happen is unbelievable.
Competitive tension is why. I manage a sales team with geographic regions. I make it known that the boundaries are loose and if you want the customer go sign them. Nothing makes people lazier than thinking they’re protected by rules or others. Every prospect gets chased up not because of our competitors but more because if they don’t move quick enough the person next to them is going to take it. Shouldn’t need the NRL to save us from South’s or the Dogs, get hungry and go take what should be yours or except the consequences of watching your juniors running around in a different jersey.

Roy is 100% right.

Campbelltown/Macarthur is the growth region and we should be targetting it and owning it.
Instead we will let the next Greg Ingles or Israel Filou sign with Melbourne/Easts/whoever is bothered to scout there.

Claim and OWN a heartland. Concord is not our area. Balmain is, but it's too small and I see as many Souths members there as Tigers.

Not saying we have to play games at Campbelltown. I am saying we took 5+ years building a Centre of Excellence in the centre of sydney that could have been a massive boon to SouthWest Sydney. Instead were just another sydney Club and a second tier one at that.

First time i have seen some bias from you - those 3 replys of yours comes across as a bit of butt hurt for something.
I don't rate Roy Masters, told you I met him a long time ago, left an ordinary impression.

Definitely got one thing right
The players are soft and look for excuses instead of owning it
The eggshell saga is a prime example
Michael Maguire knew it rite from the start and tried to correct it when he wanted our players to train on instead of going on holidays when he 1st joined our club.
And if my memory serves me correctly, there was quite a fuss kicked up about it from players and fans.

I don't rate Roy Masters, told you I met him a long time ago, left an ordinary impression.
I would suggest you may have left an ordinary impression on him also.
I doubt he would be the sort of person to suffer fools gladly, if he was to meet a fool that is.

Well good luck getting that $80M tipped in out Macarthur somewhere. Government doesn't want to even come to the party to upgrade CSS.
Maybe not rite now, but tomorrow as the proposed 'Garden City' encompassing Campbelltown grows and expands along with the new International Air Terminal, I would suggest a certainty.

Maybe not rite now, but tomorrow as the proposed 'Garden City' encompassing Campbelltown grows and expands along with the new International Air Terminal, I would suggest a certainty.
Our Club, and a lot of fans, can't see past next week.

I would suggest you may have left an ordinary impression on him also.
I doubt he would be the sort of person to suffer fools gladly, if he was to meet a fool that is.
I was 15 years old you peanut.

Latest posts

Members online

Back