Scott Fulton sacked

Nothing from the club though, no leak, no official statement, nada, zilch?

Quotes in this article from Shane Richardson. Says Fulton was let go as well as 2 others. Alan Thompson who was our head of wellbeing and education & an unnamed gear steward.

Also says more changes will be coming over the next month.

The silence is not something I’m used too.
It's just not as widely reported on because unlike Pascoe and Lee the media respect Richardson. They also put a lot more stock in their relationship with Benji over someone like Sheens or Madge.

So I just think we finally have a couple names that the media actually like atm. If it all starts going to shit again then there will be just as many negative articles as before.

So the club could be looking for a DoF you say?

Hmm.....didn't we have a former coach that was supposed to move into that role but the old board messed him around so he left?

Does it re-open that door?

So the club could be looking for a DoF you say?

Hmm.....didn't we have a former coach that was supposed to move into that role but the old board messed him around so he left?

Does it re-open that door?
DoF or HoF?

Sheens was going to move back into his head of football role at the end of his coaching contract so I am assuming that is the position you are talking about.

At the moment we have an interim HoF, his name is Matthew Betsey. He is also our head of pathways.

We also do not have a recruitment manager now and won't be having one for the foreseeable future as we will now be using a 3 man team of Benji, Richardson & Betsey doing all of that.

I believe the positions we will be looking to fill / retain in the next 6 months (aside from board members) are as follows -

Shane Richardson - Interim CEO
Matthew Betsey - Interim Head of Football
Barry O'Farrell - Interim Chairman

SMH reporting that we've instilled a three-person recruitment committee comprising Richardson, Benji and Matt Betsey.

Betsey is obviously only interim at the minute but it gives you some insight into the emphasis on pathways and local juniors. Richo is pretty big on that as well and Marshall will benefit from Richo's experience. no one there is going to be bowing to pressure from player managers, unlike the previous admin.

I also think Richardson is going to become Director of Football when his six month tenure as CEO wraps up. given he's this entrenched in the day-to-day football operation I'd say it's near certain.
Is Betsy not a candidate to take on that role long term?

It's a step down for him to be DOF. Plus, any CEO would have trouble managing him given his status. Not sure that would be a good option for him or the club.

He needs to be CEO.
Some clubs have equal status for both roles with both DOF and CEO reporting lines direct to the board.
This would be the only way it works. With the club recruiting a business minded sport’s administrator for the CEO role.
Ironically JP would have been suitable in this set up but I guess out with the old was needed. But a candidate similar to JP could be sought after.
Richo does prefer football operations over administration.

Smart move removing Fulton. Stops that conflict with Benji which no doubt would of caused continuing friction during the season. I'm sure Benji would be feeling that's one less thing to worry about.

This clean out really has me feeling more positive about the future of the club. The rebuild is feeling like it can actually progress now. I'm excited.

The WT board were absolutely sold a dummy on Fulton. In the wash up, they probably think they did well from the deal considering they had to hire Fulton to secure the Fainus. The agent must be happy too with 2 of his clients on $1m over 4 years with next to no nrl experience.
Whats Barry O’farrell doing atm?

Quotes in this article from Shane Richardson. Says Fulton was let go as well as 2 others. Alan Thompson who was our head of wellbeing and education & an unnamed gear steward.

Also says more changes will be coming over the next month.
Vince was the Steward gear manager who was let go

The WT board were absolutely sold a dummy on Fulton. In the wash up, they probably think they did well from the deal considering they had to hire Fulton to secure the Fainus.
If that were true (doubtful), wouldn’t they be concerned that the Fainu’s will now spit the dummy? Seems counterproductive.

It is the role at every other club so if it wasn’t Fulton’s, it was never going to lead to any success for the club. He was never across it to extent he needed to be.
Fulton’s reputation was built on driving around to st Pats vs Westfields games at Manly, he had little experience with NRL as Cleal did it.
Happy to see him go but if the club ( and some others) think that their NRL recruitment person only deals with the top 36, it won’t matter who they appoint, problems will arise.
Huh ? Doesn’t Betsy run the pathways systems , with actual scouting performed by Gallant and the people who work with him .
I think that’s probably why Fulton was sacked . His job is redundant if he’s not running the pathways systems , as that’s what gallant does with Betsy overseeing .
Especially if the first grade team has the coach / committee . Like you said that job would involve a lot of solitaire especially at clubs where the rosters are very settled .
The only reason we hired the guy is on the advice of ray hadley and Lee and Pascoe being sold “the guru” myth . He landed the fainus and opened the door for the Sullivan signing . But especially with the latter I feel that was a signing in spite of Lee and Fulton not because of them . As if that circus re. The photos that leaked wouldn’t turn you off life . I reckon with Benji there’s no way we get Sullivan , and dare I say it , probably the fainus as well .
I’m sure the family is appreciative to Fulton , but I highly doubt they’re going to base thier career on a scout . A coach/ yep . Maybe even a ceo / chairman /owner . Eg. Crowe, Politis . But not a recruitment manager

Huh ? Doesn’t Betsy run the pathways systems , with actual scouting performed by Gallant and the people who work with him .
I think that’s probably why Fulton was sacked . His job is redundant if he’s not running the pathways systems , as that’s what gallant does with Betsy overseeing .
Especially if the first grade team has the coach / committee . Like you said that job would involve a lot of solitaire especially at clubs where the rosters are very settled .
The only reason we hired the guy is on the advice of ray hadley and Lee and Pascoe being sold “the guru” myth . He landed the fainus and opened the door for the Sullivan signing . But especially with the latter I feel that was a signing in spite of Lee and Fulton not because of them . As if that circus re. The photos that leaked wouldn’t turn you off life . I reckon with Benji there’s no way we get Sullivan , and dare I say it , probably the fainus as well .
I’m sure the family is appreciative to Fulton , but I highly doubt they’re going to base thier career on a scout . A coach/ yep . Maybe even a ceo / chairman /owner . Eg. Crowe, Politis . But not a recruitment manager
Gallant was handed retention only as part of his overall pathways role. Betsey runs the pathways, but Fulton SHOULD have been tasked with overseeing club recruitment.
Not saying it is going to happen with the Fainus, but don't underestimate the influence that a recruitment manager has over some players. Players have switched clubs to follow them just as they have with coaches.

Reactions: 851
Back