OFFICIAL SG Ball Cup

That’s because Western Suburbs Magpies manage and operate both Flegg and NSW Cup teams. Thats also why we had zero curtain raisers at our Campbelltown games last year as they insisted on playing at Lidcombe Oval.
Whomever is making these decisions needs to be outed, and sacked. We can't tolerate such levels of incompetence. They either embrace WT, and we play proper curtain raisers and inspire harmony and one club sentiment throughout our youngsters. We can't just have our boys playing at by kidding because it's close to Wests Ashfield. When our NRL team is playing away from home sure, do whatever, but when we're at home we need to be at home in all grades.

Whomever is making these decisions needs to be outed, and sacked. We can't tolerate such levels of incompetence. They either embrace WT, and we play proper curtain raisers and inspire harmony and one club sentiment throughout our youngsters. We can't just have our boys playing at by kidding because it's close to Wests Ashfield. When our NRL team is playing away from home sure, do whatever, but when we're at home we need to be at home in all grades.
It would have given a big lift to all the NSW Cup and Flegg players if they were playing as the curtain raisers on Saturday afternoon at Leichhardt.

intrigued and concerned by Tallyn's development plan. seems to be jumping thru the grades at a rapid rate and I can't make sense of it.

the only thing I can think of is that they're using SG Ball as a way for him to drop down a grade and work on things before coming back up, but at the same time isn't Flegg better for that? anyone got any ideas on what's doing?
That's because there is no plan. If there was, he wouldn't be changing grades on a weekly basis.
The performance of all of sides is suffering because there is no continuity. Players playing alongside different team mates on a weekly basis. How is a team supposed to attack or defend as a unit when the lineup is constantly shuffling?

We need to pick which sides we see our boys developing in and leave them there for a bit.

I'd personally have all the young guns in flegg. They're not ready for cup and SG ball is good kids.

Last edited:
My observation is our top tier 19yos (those with NRL, Dev or T&T contracts) - TDS, Miller, Galvin, Latu, Kit, Craig, Willett, Mason & Lawandos - are only in contention for NSW Cup selection during the junior rep season (not Jersey Flegg) if their form warrants.

Cases in point Mason, TDS, Latu, Craig (NSW Cup trial) & Willett (NSW Cup trial). Galvin has taken a further leap due to his elite pre-season.

Our top tier 18yos similarly would only be in contention for Jersey Flegg selection during junior rep season. They would be Tannous & Luke Laulilii. Tannous played Flegg last week.

Whilst our top tier 20-21yos also vying for NSW Cup selection, those being Sukkar, Vaihu, Tumeth, Faagutu, Feledy, Solo Saukuru, Nicholas, Matai & you could throw in Sam Fainu & Matamua into this category.

Now when junior rep season finishes in a month, our top tier 18-21yos will all be pushing for NSW Cup selection if their form warrants it plus if spots become available due to injury.

The rest will be jostling for Jersey Flegg selection with our Flegg squad players.

It is already evident we are loading up on youth from Cup down this season so, early in the season, we may see blow-out results in Cup like last week but the plan will be for steady progression as they build reps & combinations.

Sorry if that reads confusing lol
I think you're giving the club more credit than they're due.

UNE SG Ball Cup - Round 8 vs. Sea Eagles

Saturday, March 23 - 5:10 p.m. AEDT
Leichhardt Oval, Sydney

BALMAIN TIGERS

1. Marley Skeen
2. Hosea Kedzlie
3. Cameron Kanaan
4. Levi Gwynne-Tuitahi
5. Nelson Solo
6. Marc Tannous
7. Jack Hanratty
8. Keenan Lawandos
9. Jared Haywood (c)
10. Matthew Aitchison
11. Sam Schmitzer
12. Adam Meslemani
13. Archie Riley

14. Chad Daniels
15. Massimo Maestrale
16. Jekope Sovau
18. Henri Young

19. Charles Manapori-Reu
Coach: Chris Yates
It's infuriating to see that we let Conti and Nassar go when they wanted to stay, only to have no replacements for them. We just weakened our side due to ego and arrogance.

It's almost as if Wests Ashfield have deliberately delivered the weakest ever junior rep sides for Balmain on purpose. How else can the appalling state of these squads be explained?

It's infuriating to see that we let Conti and Nassar go when they wanted to stay, only to have no replacements for them. We just weakened our side due to ego and arrogance.

It's almost as if Wests Ashfield have deliberately delivered the weakest ever junior rep sides for Balmain on purpose. How else can the appalling state of these squads be explained?
I have been thinking the same, I thought the one benefit of having 2 sides is we wouldn’t have loose any good players?

intrigued and concerned by Tallyn's development plan. seems to be jumping thru the grades at a rapid rate and I can't make sense of it.

the only thing I can think of is that they're using SG Ball as a way for him to drop down a grade and work on things before coming back up, but at the same time isn't Flegg better for that? anyone got any ideas on what's doing?
Guessing some possible other reasons
1) Wanting to give all hookers a full game this week in case Api were ever to be injured it would be good to get them all used to playing bigger minutes. I assume the Flegg hooker is too old for Ball.
2) The SG Ball match is the curtain raiser at Leichhardt. Perhaps they want him to be around the first grade squad. Or maybe they’re keeping him around in case there is an injury to a half or hooker in the warm ups (I believe you can get special dispensation to use a non-named player if warm up injuries occur).

Guessing some possible other reasons
1) Wanting to give all hookers a full game this week in case Api were ever to be injured it would be good to get them all used to playing bigger minutes. I assume the Flegg hooker is too old for Ball.
2) The SG Ball match is the curtain raiser at Leichhardt. Perhaps they want him to be around the first grade squad. Or maybe they’re keeping him around in case there is an injury to a half or hooker in the warm ups (I believe you can get special dispensation to use a non-named player if warm up injuries occur).
It's Balmains SG ball match that's the curtain raiser. Not Wests. Balmain are dead last with no real prospects to speak of

I have been thinking the same, I thought the one benefit of having 2 sides is we wouldn’t have loose any good players?
How is Conti going now? Anybody give an update.
Also Clarke the prop who went to Storm (Zac's brother)

Totally disagree.

Firstly, we have many homes so technically
all grades are at ‘home’ this weekend.

Also I was at a couple of Leichhardt games last year where the Magpies were on the undercard and there were two and a dog watching. Given the modern day fixation with leaving four and a half hours between each game - the crowd doesn’t bother to come at the crack of dawn. I’m assuming the same two fans, with their footy loving pooch, will be there to watch the Balmain Ball team on Saturday.

Thirdly, the NSW Cup comp has its own charm with foundation clubs - Wests, Newtown, & Norths playing at their traditional homes. Sure, it’s a shame that Balmain ran out of money and can’t do similar, but that’s not Wests fault. This Sunday sees the Magpies play the Jets in the annual clash at Lidcombe. Win, lose or draw - it’ll be a great afternoon 👍

Whomever is making these decisions needs to be outed, and sacked. We can't tolerate such levels of incompetence. ... We can't just have our boys playing at by kidding because it's close to Wests Ashfield.
Mate, Leichhardt is closer to Wests Ashfield than Lidcombe is.
You might have a point if we were playing lower grades at Pratten Park (or Ashfield Park) 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: BZN
Totally disagree.

Firstly, we have many homes so technically
all grades are at ‘home’ this weekend.

Also I was at a couple of Leichhardt games last year where the Magpies were on the undercard and there were two and a dog watching. Given the modern day fixation with leaving four and a half hours between each game - the crowd doesn’t bother to come at the crack of dawn. I’m assuming the same two fans, with their footy loving pooch, will be there to watch the Balmain Ball team on Saturday.

Thirdly, the NSW Cup comp has its own charm with foundation clubs - Wests, Newtown, & Norths playing at their traditional homes. Sure, it’s a shame that Balmain ran out of money and can’t do similar, but that’s not Wests fault. This Sunday sees the Magpies play the Jets in the annual clash at Lidcombe. Win, lose or draw - it’ll be a great afternoon 👍
Great to see you back B2T. :)
Even though we are all Wests Tigers now, it's refreshing to hear from someone with a Mighty Magpies point of view.
And that jersey you're wearing, I :love: it.

That’ll do me !!!
You're blaming weak Balmain squads on Wests Ashfield.
Mate, without Wests Ashfield, they wouldn’t exist at all.

Young players leave all the time (not just Balmain players I might add). Given the halfback coaching the young #7s are receiving at the Dogs, I reckon Conti made a very wise choice.

Re’ Nassar, the Roosters are always snapping up quality juniors. They nabbed Lachie Dooner from Camden a year or two back and their Matt’s Cup five eight this weekend against Wests is Jez Papa from Campbelltown (who’s also playing up a year) ...

I would guess the strength of the Balmain Jnr rep teams is more a reflection of the Balmain junior league

Conspiracy Fail 🤣🤣🤣

That’ll do me !!!
You're blaming weak Balmain squads on Wests Ashfield.
Mate, without Wests Ashfield, they wouldn’t exist at all.

Young players leave all the time (not just Balmain players I might add). Given the halfback coaching the young #7s are receiving at the Dogs, I reckon Conti made a very wise choice.

Re’ Nassar, the Roosters are always snapping up quality juniors. They nabbed Lachie Dooner from Camden a year or two back and their Matt’s Cup five eight this weekend against Wests is Jez Papa from Campbelltown (who’s also playing up a year) ...

I would guess the strength of the Balmain Jnr rep teams is more a reflection of the Balmain junior league

Conspiracy Fail 🤣🤣🤣
He's expressing frustration that other NRL clubs are poaching our talent. Unfortunately, we cannot keep everyone. I was particularly disappointed we lost these two but it would be a tragedy if we lose someone as talented as Makasini so we must prioritise our signings. Hopefully Bronson Harrison can identify the best of our Balmain juniors and have them locked up to prevent this happening again.

Last edited:
He's expressing frustration that other NRL clubs are poaching our talent. Unfortunately, we cannot keep everyone. I was particularly disappointed we lost these two but it would be a tragedy if we lose someone as talented as Makasini so we must prioritise our signings. Hopefully Bronson Harrison can identify the best our Balmain juniors and have them locked up to prevent this happening again.
Yes.
But it has nothing whatsoever to do with Wests Ashfield.

He's expressing frustration that other NRL clubs are poaching our talent. Unfortunately, we cannot keep everyone. I was particularly disappointed we lost these two but it would be a tragedy if we lose someone as talented as Makasini so we must prioritise our signings. Hopefully Bronson Harrison can identify the best of our Balmain juniors and have them locked up to prevent this happening again.
But blaming Wests Ashfield is stupidity itself. WA gave more money to Balmain than Western Suburbs last year. BB hasn't got a clue.

• Love
But blaming Wests Ashfield is stupidity itself. WA gave more money to Balmain than Western Suburbs last year. BB hasn't got a clue.
BB is a committed supporter and excellent contributor to the forum. He got it wrong this time but I empathise with his disappointment over losing two good juniors. I read a comment from a supporter that the Tigers have a better junior half in its ranks than Conti. I hope this is true.

Back