Shifting the deckchairs

Tigerstripes

Some people here tonight will be happy at getting a win. So am I. But don't kid yourselves - like a 50 year old hag layering on the makeup, this win does nothing to deal with the underlying problems we have has a team.

**Lack of a decent fullback**
Fitzhenry at fullback? Are we serious? Do you see us winning a premiership with Daniel Fitzhenry at fullback?

**Lack of a dominant halfback**
Lui, apart from being a defensive liability, leaves too much to Benji. However, he is really just starting out so I'm prepared to keep him in this spot for some time. He does add something to our attack.

**Lack of a decent goalkicker**
How many (more) games is Benji's kicking going to cost us?

**Players out of position**
Second rowers as props. Props as second rowers. Centres as fullbacks. Wingers as five eigths. You know Sheens will persist with just about anything.

**Juniors not selected on form**
Dwyer was solid tonight but only got a run through injury. He's been solid for a while now. There are other hungry juniors wanting a go and Sheens playing favorites does the club no favours

**No metre eating props**
Apart from KG, we lack size, penetration and dominance in the front row. Bryce Gibbs will play out his entire career without threatening a rep jersey. The Rabbitohs have Asostasi, Taylor, etc to name a few. We will get smashed by any team with reasonable props

**A zero impact bench**
Did everyone notice tonight when Newcastle lifted? It was when Nadira came on at dummy half and sparked them. This is what a bench is for. A bench is not for having a bloody winger sit there for 78 minutes. A bench should preferably have at least one prop who is played as a prop.

There are many other problems - these are just a few. We will be able to scrape a few wins together here and there throughout the rest of the season. But we are not a grand final side. We are not a top 4 side.

Are we a top 8 side?

hard to argue any of your points …..
the knights offered very little in the contest... they tried to play dry football ...
are we a top 8 side ....not on our past 5 weeks .....but a wins a win and we can only build on it ....
i did think lui was good when allowed to play at first reciever .......

A zero impact bench
**Did everyone notice tonight when Newcastle lifted? It was when Nadira came on at dummy half and sparked them.** This is what a bench is for. A bench is not for having a bloody winger sit there for 78 minutes. A bench should preferably have at least one prop who is played as a prop.

Nope…I missed that...they lifted for maybe one set in the 2nd half, they had nothing at all after 15 mins.

We all know our problems

the only lift they got was two penalties in a row which got them into our 20 … it was very short lived ....

Fitzy was one of our best but I agree that at some point Sheens should be trying to get us a dominant fullback. I think it should be Tuqiri or Lawrence but I think Sheens wants Moltzen there.

I think our pack would be alright if Sheens simply choose the hardest runners on the bench. I think our props should be Gibbs, Galloway, Fifita and Payten. Imo that is a pretty reasonable front row rotation. Our back row should consist of Ellis and Heighington and Fulton, Flanagan , Moors, Dwyer & Jason Shirnack should be fighting it out for the remaining three spots. If Sheens said well Dwyer, Schirnack and Moors are the best three back rowers with regards to their ability to make an impact and choose them I bet our pack would look a lot better.

The biggest problem is Sheens not having the ability to choose the players in positions that can win us a comp. If you compare Dwyer or Jason Schirnack to Flanagan or Fulton imo both Dwyer and Schirnack look like much more damaging runners of the ball yet Sheens goes for the safer option in Fulton and Flanagan.

yeah, whist im overjoyed to get a win, and we played with a lot more commitment, i still think their are some areas to address. the bench, fitz (he did well tonight), daniela at 3\. not huge things.

don't want to be a buzz killington the third but newc were missing four of their players (we have injuries too i know) and arguably most influential (gidley, de gois, mullen) and for once we got the 50/50's tonight. so yeah, enjoying it, but its all about the season proper now

I like the Benji shifting to first receiver/7 play
Worked very well in 07
And 08
And 09
Our coach will try something 50 times, get it wrong 49 of those then ram the time it works down the throat of anyone thick enough to believe his garbage

@tiger05 said:
Fitzy was one of our best but I agree that at some point Sheens should be trying to get us a dominant fullback. I think it should be Tuqiri or Lawrence but I think Sheens wants Moltzen there.

I think our pack would be alright if Sheens simply choose the hardest runners on the bench. I think our props should be Gibbs, Galloway, Fifita and Payten. Imo that is a pretty reasonable front row rotation. Our back row should consist of Ellis and Heighington and Fulton, Flanagan , Moors, Dwyer & Jason Shirnack should be fighting it out for the remaining three spots. If Sheens said well Dwyer, Schirnack and Moors are the best three back rowers with regards to their ability to make an impact and choose them I bet our pack would look a lot better.

The biggest problem is Sheens not having the ability to choose the players in positions that can win us a comp. If you compare Dwyer or Jason Schirnack to Flanagan or Fulton imo both Dwyer and Schirnack look like much more damaging runners of the ball yet Sheens goes for the safer option in Fulton and Flanagan.

i honestly think lote to FB. he needs more action. i don't want to get carried away but, like mr sheens, i like this dwyer and have for a while now. there every week for me. geez, to have tui now would be so sweet

Latest posts

Back