Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Updates from a guy who is in the know.

1. The club is going hard for David Fifita and we are in the box seat to get him.
2. Caleb Clarke is talking to the club. He wants a change from rugby and it's just about money at this point. Hopefully a deal will be done for next year.
3. The Roosters have dropped out of the race to secure RTS. The club have put in a good deal to get him here and hopefully this deal will happen.

I think these 3 guys would add a fair bit to our team.

Geez if we nabbed all 3 plus someone like Moses we would be in a decent position.
You would think the Clarke & RTS links would have Benji all over it.

Still think we are some backs short mixed with a Prop (assume DF plays backrow)

Why do people continually say that Benji will attract players to the WT's

He couldn't attract players when he was playing ...why would he attract players as a coach ...not as if he could coach the good things he did as a player ...it was too instinctive ...and half the things he did as a player you wouldn't want to be coached

1. The club is going hard for David Fifita and we are in the box seat to get him.
2. Caleb Clarke is talking to the club. He wants a change from rugby and it's just about money at this point. Hopefully a deal will be done for next year.
3. The Roosters have dropped out of the race to secure RTS. The club have put in a good deal to get him here and hopefully this deal will happen.

Caleb Clarke rumour was in June when madge went to meet him with sheens in nz

The Clarke rumour doesn't seem to be going away, i think he got Re-selected for the All Blacks earlier in the year so that would of halted any talks at the time.

It's starting to become almost the next Rona rumour. We just need him to like the Wests Tigers and it will be around all of 23.

If Clarke or RTS signed it would be for 24, with RWC next year can't see them coming across unless they have been told they won't be selected.

My only concern on RTS is his body and age, in 24 he would be 31, would probably be his last big deal which we normally have a very bad history with.

We know RTS won't be Roosters bound though - “Hey team, hearing [rumours of] a return to Sydney Roosters & NRL,” Tuivasa-Sheck said. “As much as I enjoyed it there, I won’t be heading back. Signed sealed delivered (sic) till the end of 2023.”

Odd that we're going for another top line Winger when we've just locked up all our Outside backs long term (Not that I think they're all top line) And we have Nof and Nado for the next 3 years??
RTS is exactly what we need, A real Fullback and Decent meters from the back....
- A superstar even.

Fifita is the wrong signing for us at a time like this, We need a Capewell, Not a Fifita....
Maybe it'll be for 2024 ?
Marshall Magic.

Rather a Hudson Young, Mitch Barnett than Fifita and Capewell.

He's good when he's on fire but few and far between.
Personally can't see that deal happening but we will see.

WOW ....Would love all 3 and can only dream..

Appreciate the info,
David on a reduced deal (even 700 or 800k) would be a very good pick up. He's not as lazy as people make him out to be, I just dont think he's an 80 min player.
Caleb Clarke would make the most sense if Ken M is actually retiring, but otherwise I'm not sure.
RTS is class, would also be a great signing but I imagine it would have to come at the expense of another player.

If Fifita plays Back Row, We'd have like 2 at the club....
Blore is still an unknown / myth even...
Even at that - It's 3.
I don't trust Kids, Especially so many of them all at the same time....
Need some old heads.

It's a lop sided squad....

Agree, more talking starting / top flight rotation. We need depth, have been saying our backrow depth is terrible for last 12mths especially with the exits and lack of inbound replacements. It's still a massive concern we are 2-3 backrow rotational players short but we need to solve the starting rotation quality 1st.

Re the juniors we might have 10 NRL potentials of which probably only 2-4 of them if we are lucky will play more than 10 NRL games. That's the reality. I'm not banking on those either. I do think if we keep the kids together though we might and its a big might get more than average coming through together (mix of juniors and poached young talent).

Re Blore (big if odds also against him) its a case of can his body hold up. His injury run and Knee issues is off the chart and considering he probably has had 70% less football on park time over the last 5yrs than most his age - the quality has been solid, his body mould is great. He has that hunger, drive & mental determination which is impressive considering the mental challenges he would've no doubt experienced. If he gets a injury free run do think he will come good for us but again it's a big if.

Good to get bit of goss.

He couldn't attract players when he was playing ...why would he attract players as a coach ...not as if he could coach the good things he did as a player ...it was too instinctive ...and half the things he did as a player you wouldn't want to be coached
Because the players he can attract now grew up idolising him when he was playing, they were kids back when Benji was on song, that is what got Teddy to the chooks, he grew up idolising them

This wouldn’t surprise me at all. I think it’s the likely outcome.
Probably realistically because no one else will give him a contract and his slimy Manager Isaac is making up Knights rumours to trick us into signing the most unsuccessful player in the history of rugby league

I just don't think NRL players in general have that kind of recruitment pull, i don't see it like the NBA where players are like i signed with the Lakers to play with Lebron for example.

The Clarke rumour doesn't seem to be going away, i think he got Re-selected for the All Blacks earlier in the year so that would of halted any talks at the time.
A mate who is a Journo in NZ suggested this was very much on cards back in June. I did post, but those "in the know" on the forum shot it down. Just to appreciate the situation (and what we might be getting), Caleb very much marches to his own beat. NZ Rugby tolerate Caleb and Caleb tolerates NZ Rugby.

Odd that we're going for another top line Winger when we've just locked up all our Outside backs long term (Not that I think they're all top line) And we have Nof and Nado for the next 3 years??
RTS is exactly what we need, A real Fullback and Decent meters from the back....
- A superstar even.

Fifita is the wrong signing for us at a time like this, We need a Capewell, Not a Fifita....
I see what you did there.. :sneaky:

Wow, Earl, I've seen quite a few posts from you over the years but can't remember you circulating rumours of this magnitude. That's why they have an air of authenticity about them. They are three big names and would be immense for the club in terms of prestige and playing power if they came off. Fingers crossed that your source is 'on the money'. Even two out of three would be pretty good.

Not doubting your source man but how solid do you reckon it might be?

David Fifita would be a massive massive massive coup - he would be a game changer and should be targeted heavily I'd definitely put towards an 800k like deal

Caleb Clarke would be cool bit of a project - however do have my doubts about his defensive efforts wouldn't be opposed too the signing at all though

RTS is the signing if gettable we should be going extremely hard for as he's the type of player that can change a team - Benji and him have a good relationship and he's still 29

Side note: If we're going for Fifita.... the club must see either Bateman/Papalili as our lock moving forward unless Bateman deal isn't as on as the media are making it out to be?

Reactions: 851
Back