Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

RFM still free to leave
the dogs have considerable room in the cap
It was rumoured RFM’s contract is around 400k, nobody is going to pay that to take him off their hands.
Likewise JAC is on a big money deal for an ageing winger, they are about as much chance of offloading him for the same contract money he’s currently on, as we are of getting rid of Nofa for anywhere near his contract value.
Very dangerous paying big money for players approaching 30 years plus, many of them can hit a rapid decline around that age.

hey guys just heard from my mate mike who works at newscorp, some of you might remember he had some early mail on peachy jumping ship.

anyway met up for a few off the wood and he relayed the below:

- luai and his management apparently teeing up another meeting at belmore. who knows what this could mean.
- tupou and links to the dolphins have not gone away. mike couldn't tell me if he was signing there or purely driving up his price at WTs but mike seemed to think he was happy at WTs from what he has heard (lunches with some prominent slimeball journos and managers).

mike's a diehard sharks fan (c.unt lol) but doesn't mind benji so always has an ear to the ground. hopefully not on the money with these rumours after the good week we've just had.
Thanks for the info @ConePuncher 👍

I’d think Tupou has a better chance of being top 13 at Tigers with Dolphins having Hammer, Isaako, Farnworth, Averillo, Bostock, Niu & co.

Hi All,

the mail has stayed the same with Jerome
dogs are looking to offload RFM and JAC to sign him and a middle

the relationships with ciraldo / critta / burton / kikau / salmon are all too strong especially when a longer deal is at play

still more to play out / no offer has been formally made by the dogs

Luia is signing for 2025 right ? They won’t need to move on anyone in the short term

It was rumoured RFM’s contract is around 400k, nobody is going to pay that to take him off their hands.
Likewise JAC is on a big money deal for an ageing winger, they are about as much chance of offloading him for the same contract money he’s currently on, as we are of getting rid of Nofa for anywhere near his contract value.
Very dangerous paying big money for players approaching 30 years plus, many of them can hit a rapid decline around that age.
I actually don't think it is...
Except for Winger.

JAC relied on speed to score tries, sure he has a good step and can read plays. But his main asset was speed. He is still a good winger/back and if he was going for 300k he would be a great addition. I believe he is closer to 700k, no way. .. Nofa, enough said.

Gallen played till he was 38.

I reckon the right kind of player you could keep going. I don't think Sezer is that player.
Plus at least you are dealing with an experienced player who can play, not a rookie who's going to be the "next best thing!"

I think we honestly put a deadline on our offer for Luai as we know how this plays out
I kind of agree as we have seen this happen way too many times to us.. If he wanted to join, he would have by now or even committed etc.. Maybe we need to take the Dogs approach and sit back and wait until the end and come it and seal the deal.. If I was a player, I would prefer the club that shows interest in me first and not the last ones.

I don’t see how that quote above suggests that I wasn’t implying that Benji should have full control in who comes in/out of the team?
You said squad, not team. There is a difference.
Benji should have final say on who is in the team each week.
Richo should have the final say on new squad appointments.
Richo shouldn’t have much say in the players we bring into the club as Benji has a specific plan on what style of football he wants this team playing and there may be a disconnection there.
I do not agree with this.
By all means, Benji dictates what sort of player he is after. He shouldn’t take advice on what sort of team he coaches.
However. He is not the one balancing the books and by that definition, he cannot have the final say.
The CEO is higher up the ladder than the coach and he has to look at the whole picture. He has to weigh up not just the financial cost of hiring a Luai for example, but also the opportunity cost of losing a Galvin if we do go overboard on a contract.
However, the financial side and how that deal gets done should be handled by the experts aka Shane Richardson and co.
Yes and for this reason, the CEO does get a say and in fact gets veto power on a signing.

Benji gets to set the plan, and devise a squad that he would want to be in charge of….on paper. The upper management provide the checks and balances to make sure it can work. They absolutely must be involved in recruitment/retention and they must have the final say.

JAC, on a subsidised deal, for a couple of years, is not a bad signing.

I don't mind RFM on a part-paid deal either.

Those 2 guys are not why the Bulldogs barely beat us home.

A little experience in our outside backs does not hurt. It might help reduce some of the inconsistancy at least.

JAC, on a subsidised deal, for a couple of years, is not a bad signing.

I don't mind RFM on a part-paid deal either.

Those 2 guys are not why the Bulldogs barely beat us home.

A little experience in our outside backs does not hurt. It might help reduce some of the inconsistancy at least.
And helps the dogs buy Luai?

Still think we're a good chance of landing Luai with Richo helping out Benji & Co with negotiations for season '25 and beyond. A lot better chance than with the dogs breakfast of an administration we've just moved on from
Thinking low probability now.

Probably the only casualty from the changes.

I think that was at Richos request. Said he didn't know who he'd be working with and he'll make that assessment after 6 months. He's just giving himself an out if the new board makes it impossible for him to run the club.
Makes sense but a real shame nonetheless

Hi All,

the mail has stayed the same with Jerome
dogs are looking to offload RFM and JAC to sign him and a middle

the relationships with ciraldo / critta / burton / kikau / salmon are all too strong especially when a longer deal is at play

still more to play out / no offer has been formally made by the dogs
So they need to free up ~1.5 million at least to even get close to making an offer, and that's not considering how much of RFMs 700k they have to pay to offload him, same with Jac.

They're in cap hell. They have 4 players on more than anyone at the tigers. Not sure how they can afford another.

Just depends, is he interested in coming here or is he happy to wait 6 months for dogs to free up space. If he's only interested in ciraldo and the other former Panthers then we're no chance. I'd say we'll be recommencing negotiations with our new look team shortly

Back