Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Yes, the media didn't really report on it though because he's not top tier talent. The deal with Melbourne for 2025 onwards was the catalyst for the early release in 24 talk and how Olam's name came into play.

Olam talk was well before 10days of Blore being formally announced.

No consideration that it actually looks like Paps may not be a durable first grader?
I’m more disturbed by the lack of support for players , the lack of vision and support for juniors that contributes to a team having no morale and harmony within the club. Treat them all like mercenarys that you could care less about and nobody will buy in or do the hard 1 per centers for the man next to them that makes all the difference in close games . Team and club spirit are big inspirations

The story is that Ilias got injured and we deemed he wasn't worth rehabilitating. Poor from us in my opinion. Papenhuyzen a similar story - he was chronically injured, Melbourne came to him and told him how they would build him into a more durable athlete, and he was sold.
Also had a guy called James Tedesco in front of him… just saying that may have contributed…

Also had a guy called James Tedesco in front of him… just saying that may have contributed…

Looking at the Paps retention in isolation without acknowledging the club being in the middle of trying to retain Tedesco bound for stardom, Woods while he was good, Moses while he still had potential and Brooks is marking the club down for the sake of it.

Still depends if he wants to stay. If I recall correctly it was said WT / Marshall said his role was in the middle, Storm / Blore say /want to continue as edge. Fundamental difference in wants there.

I agree with our/Benji's opinion on this, Blore looks every bit a middle not an edge player. If he/Storm see him as that then so be it, if anyone can make that work it them.

We have supposedly signed Sullivan and Latu Fainu on deals rumoured to be worth around 400 - 500k per season.
If those figures are correct, it will be a lot of money for one of them to not even be playing NRL if Luai is signed.
Then it’s likely Onitoni Large will cost around 500k possibly more once he turns 18 which is not so far away. If you are asking where I’m getting that figure, well Joseph Suaalii was signed for approximately 700k as a 17 year old on the back of reputation and being in demand from Rugby Australia, the hype on Onitoni Large is just as big, if not bigger.
Lachie Galvin is one of the most highly regarded schoolboy rugby league player in years, hyped in a similar fashion to how Brad Fittler was talked about as a schoolboy, so would it be better to keep him and keep him happy or let him go ? I know what I’d be doing.
So if I’m following you correctly. You’re argument is that if we sign Luai, we might lose Onitoni Large, because in your estimation (based on Suali’i), we will have to pay him upwards of $500k a season?

Let’s hope all four of Sullivan, Latu Fainu, Lachlan Galvin and Onitoni Large fulfill their potential while playing for Wests Tigers and stick with the cub long term.
Not sure how that happens if we sign Luai for 5 years from 2025 ?
You have hope for those kids, looks like youre convinced on Luai but are happy to wait more and more ...weve waited almost 2 decades

Crazy thinking

Plus the odds of all those still being around in five years very very long

You should relax and enjoy the now... dont wory about what may or may not happen down the track...did you steal GnRs card or something?

Wow. Dont buy one of the best in their position because we have kids in their teens coming thru?
If you have 3 very talented juniors in the same age group the chances are none make it, is higher than all 3. Obviously 1 making it is the highest.
TBH, i think he feels we need laui more
There are talented youngsters, then there's elite youngsters. I don't think you realise the Calibre of the juniors we currently have in Fainu, Galvin and Large. They're not Jock Madden, or Tommy Talau Aussie schoolboy type talents. The only juniors we've had with similar stature are Benji, Robbie, Moses and Brooks, and even then Robbie was still a level below.

Those are the calibre of players you don't just let walk, you lock them up long term and give them the opportunity to become stars.

Last edited:
So if I’m following you correctly. You’re argument is that if we sign Luai, we might lose Onitoni Large, because in your estimation (based on Suali’i), we will have to pay him upwards of $500k a season?
Of course spending 1.2 million per season on a player who I’m near certain will not live up to expectation will restrict our ability to pay top dollar for too many other players.
Like any business managing a salary cap has to involve a lot of forecasting for the next 2-4 years, not just be blindfolded about what is happening now.
Forecasting involves having a realistic expectation on what will potentially be the market value for any of our best young players we hope to keep long term.

Last edited:
I can simplify it, He’s worried signing a guy with three premiership rings, Origin and World Cup‘s on his resume will put us in danger of losing,,,,A 16 year old.

There are talented youngsters, then there's elite youngsters. I don't think you realise the Calibre of the juniors we currently have in Fainu, Galvin and Large. The only juniors we've had with similar stature are Benji, Robbie, Moses and Brooks, and even then Robbie was still a level below.

Those are the calibre of players you don't just let walk, you lock them up long term and give them the opportunity to become stars.
Exactly the point I’ve been trying to make Balmain Boy, I don’t think many of our supporters realise the extent of generational young talent we have on our hands. They will not be ready to win us a NRL GF in the next season or two, but they are players we cannot afford to lose long term.
Not forgetting we have already let an exceptional talent in Max Jorgensen slid through our hands. With Jorgensen, think Papenhausen, think better at the same age,

The story is that Ilias got injured and we deemed he wasn't worth rehabilitating. Poor from us in my opinion. Papenhuyzen a similar story - he was chronically injured, Melbourne came to him and told him how they would build him into a more durable athlete, and he was sold.
Thats only half the story on Paps - he was also behind Turdesco in the pecking order and Turdesco was stringing the club along in to believing he would resign. Paps got an offer from Melb and took it up and then Turdesco did the dirty and signed with the rorters

Let’s hope all four of Sullivan, Latu Fainu, Lachlan Galvin and Onitoni Large fulfill their potential while playing for Wests Tigers and stick with the cub long term.
Not sure how that happens if we sign Luai for 5 years from 2025 ?
I’ll play along.

Large is playing both Union and League at top level, everyone will want him. Just like Sualli. There is no reason why he couldn’t do exactly what Sualli did to Souths, then Roosters.

Galvin is a Moses client who we all know will be trying to get him to another club.

Sullivan has an injury plagued history and Fainu could be anything but unproven.

Theoretically, we could lose Galvin and Large before they’re 20 and we have an opportunity to sign one of the halves that helped win the last 3 premierships. You have to take the sure thing if it’s an option over potential.

Of course spending 1.2 million per season on a player who I’m near certain will not live up to expectation will restrict our ability to pay top dollar for too many other players.
Like any business managing a salary cap has to involve a lot of forecasting for the next 2-4 years, not just be blindfolded about what is happening now.
Forecasting involves having a realistic expectation on what will potentially be the market value for any of our best young players we hope to keep long term.
So let's say one of these juniors turns into a superstar and demands 1.2 million a year. What is your plan?

Back