Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

With the terrible state of our backline quality it would be interesting as to know why if he does leave.

Maybe it’s simple that the Dolphins promised him center spot and we couldn’t - which if that’s so fair enough. Would be worried if it was cash or any else.
Recipe for disaster promising positions before a players ever arrived, let alone at any time
Would have to be done on the hush, can yiu imagine the mood in the squad amongst those that had to work for their spot some new dude waltzes in and gets free pass... Wouldn't go down well I reckon

With the terrible state of our backline quality it would be interesting as to know why if he does leave.

Maybe it’s simple that the Dolphins promised him center spot and we couldn’t - which if that’s so fair enough. Would be worried if it was cash or any else.
I don't think they would've. I think it's down to cash. there's no way they could assure him of a centre spot with Hammer, Farnworth, Averillo and Aitken there.

We did (And didn't)
Taylor stopped focus on it around 15-16, Until then we'd heavily invested (And overpaid)
on Juniors to top 30.

You'd be right in saying there's no fruits of it, But there's the likes of the
Mikaeles, Liddles, B Sironens, Lodge, Marshall-King, Browns, Jesse Sue, Santis etc. that never really kicked on...
The Moses, Brooks, C Sironen, Simonas, Nofoaluma etc. that have basically been overpaid since day dot - Not leaving us much room....

On top of a bunch of flashes in the pan that debuted and didn't do much at all...

We did prioritise the future, And have probably been bad at it....
Needs to be considered that the future we prioritised was still signed up with us until the 2017-2018 mark before it started to bleed out.
This could easily become a "yes we did no we didn't", but I will say one more thing. Having a few mediocre juniors come through isn't the same as "prioritising the future". You have to compare what we've managed in the past decade with other clubs - and literally every single club in the comp can find a few of its own kids to put on the park. Every. single. one. I literally don't know what "prioritising the future" means in this context because it sure as hell isn't chucking in an occasional Esan Marsters or Kyle Lovett.

If you're trying to say that we prioritised the future by putting too much of our cap into juniors it doesn't really stand up to any scrutiny. Of your list, Moses and Sinonen both left to get their first big contracts so clearly weren't "overpaid since day dot", and I'm not sure whether Nofoaluma was overpaid until his current deal - which he signed aged 28 so not exactly done on potential. Obviously the club put far too much faith in Brooks but that's hardly the sign of a strategy. Most of the other decent talent we've lost has been at least in part because we didn't give them a game: Addo-Carr was getting left out for Jordan Rankin, Papenheuysen wasn't close to first grade... and honestly there aren't many others.

Reactions: 851
Losing Tupou is definitely not ideal. Having a look at outside backs off contract in 2024 to replace him, there really isn’t a whole lot of quality. Taylan May, Turuva and Tass are the only ones that standout.
Turuva has apparently re-signed with Penrith. Tass and May absolutely worth looking at though, especially Tass if Wighton takes his spot and doesn't play in the back row.

Tupou has mistakes in him but a mix of size and speed that isn't really common. Stupid to let him go, especially given his age. I doubt the Dolphins are offering money which is that ridiculous.

Not a huge fan of the Blore - Olam swap, hoping it doesn't happen.

Luai deal a shocker too.

10 steps forward punting the board and CEO but 3 steps back with how recruitment going too.

Recipe for disaster promising positions before a players ever arrived, let alone at any time
Would have to be done on the hush, can yiu imagine the mood in the squad amongst those that had to work for their spot some new dude waltzes in and gets free pass... Wouldn't go down well I reckon

Exactly especially for someone who isn’t proven in that position & struggled during the year.

Tupou has mistakes in him but a mix of size and speed that isn't really common. Stupid to let him go, especially given his age. I doubt the Dolphins are offering money which is that ridiculous.

Not a huge fan of the Blore - Olam swap, hoping it doesn't happen.

Luai deal a shocker too.

10 steps forward punting the board and CEO but 3 steps back with how recruitment going too.
Blore has already signed for the Storm for 2025, though. I don't want to use up much cap room on Olam and I think there's a chance he's busted, but if the Storm have decided to come to the party by carrying some freight I don't think losing Blore for 2024 is that much of a disaster. Put it this way: if we're going to get Olam the best year left in his career is almost certainly the next one, whereas if Blore ever does turn into anything much it's probably a year or two down the track. We might as well swap their 2024s.

Stupid to let him go, especially given his age. I doubt the Dolphins are offering money which is that ridiculous.
I reckon this is lazy commentary - "let him go".

"Letting a player go" is not making an offer nor any attempt to stop a player from leaving. If I leave my front door open and don't say anything when you walk in with an empty sack, that is "letting you rob my house". When you get made redundant, that is being "let go".

This is not the same thing, this is being out-bid or out-competed by a rival club.

Turuva has apparently re-signed with Penrith. Tass and May absolutely worth looking at though, especially Tass if Wighton takes his spot and doesn't play in the back row.
Interesting times ahead.

We have juniors a couple of years of development behind Tupou but who all could turn out as good if not better in the centres or wing ... Saukuru, Feledy, Craig, Laulilii, Galvin (centre option) and then Large, Makasini. Then the likes of Lobb & our new Kiwi rugby convert could jump out of the ground too.

Can't keep them all and good we are being strong on player valuations.

Chammas reporting that Luai didn't report to training today for undisclosed reasons, and that Penrith will waive the 10 day cooling off period meaning a deal will be formally announced in the next couple of days if so.

Feels like it is definitely happening.

We also have cap space to fit him in this year if he is released early by Penrith, which could be likely.

Chammas reporting that Luai didn't report to training today for undisclosed reasons, and that Penrith will waive the 10 day cooling off period meaning a deal will be formally announced in the next couple of days if so.

Feels like it is definitely happening.

We also have cap space to fit him in this year if he is released early by Penrith, which could be likely.
I don't know if Penrith have the confidence in their halves backups to let Luai go a year early.

Also at what cost is Luai to them currently? I think it's a fairly modest deal, i.e. it's in Penrith's favour to retain him for the 4th tilt.

Tigers on the other hand would probably take Luai early, however I don't know if it is public knowledge how far down the track his rehab is? He might not be available for several rounds, possibly even months.

I don't know if Penrith have the confidence in their halves backups to let Luai go a year early.

Also at what cost is Luai to them currently? I think it's a fairly modest deal, i.e. it's in Penrith's favour to retain him for the 4th tilt.

Tigers on the other hand would probably take Luai early, however I don't know if it is public knowledge how far down the track his rehab is? He might not be available for several rounds, possibly even months.
His deal with Penrith for this year is $780k. Panthers will have already paid $100k of that.

I agree it seems frivilous that they'd release him early, but it's also very easy to see now why he has decided his future is elsewhere.

If you are a key part of a spine that has delivered 3 straight titles, and you're offered $70k a year more following those performances, knowing the salaries of others in the team, I would be out too.

Even more so when you consider the commentary from the CEO and Coach in the off season.

Back