Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Maybe he just needs a change of scene away from the constantly angry and unhappy Bellyache.
Haven’t known of too many players in the last 20 years that needed a change of scenery away from Melbourne. Do players need a break from being in a perennial top 4 side? Feel like a holiday in September for a change?

Maybe he just needs a change of scene away from the constantly angry and unhappy Bellyache.
If Melbourne takes on 50% of the freight then it might be worth the punt.

In saying that, who gets pushed down the pecking order, AJ or Star? And what about Feledy? We should be giving him as much opportunity to prove himself.

Both are held in high regard by the club and are not going anywhere anytime soon.
Both are very strong, aggressive and have plenty of natural football smarts.
Big year ahead for both, but you don’t see many young players as strong and aggressive as these two.
Lack of size not an issue for either as they are comparable to plenty of NRL stars in their positions at the same age, they both simply need to get extremely fit and play with high energy.
You can throw Faagatu into the same category as he’s not at all big for a middle forward, but highly aggressive and the determining factor will be how willing he is to get himself extremely fit and play with the high energy that makes aggressive smaller forwards so valuable.
uhhh isn’t Tumeth being shopped around? feel like it’s been touched on multiple times that he’s been told if he wants to stay then Cup is his ceiling.

Feledy debuted far too early but he is an NRL player for sure. his issues are in defence, but with Morris at the club and hopefully 12-18 months in Cup working on his game I think he’ll get there.

Fa’agutu should get a full year in Cup which will be great for his development. still a year or two away from regular first grade but we have a good one on our hands.

If Melbourne takes on 50% of the freight then it might be worth the punt.

In saying that, who gets pushed down the pecking order, AJ or Star? And what about Feledy? We should be giving him as much opportunity to prove himself.
AJ looks to be converting to a backrower given what we’ve seen in preseason photos. also makes sense if Blore is moving on due to a clear lack of quality on the edge beyond Papali’i and Bateman.

Olam will obviously take one centre spot with To’a and Naden fighting it out for the other on the right. both are players who will either thrive due to the competition for spots or fade into obscurity.

as for Feledy I think in time he could unseat all three of them, but he is a long way off right now imo. his defence isn’t even NSW Cup standard, let alone first grade.

Reactions: 851
"
Someone has to say it....

Hymel Hunt is 30 years old and managed just 5 NRL appearances in 2 years, there is a reason he hasn't had a NRL gig since round 4 2023.

I'm not sold on Olam at 30 but Hunt is many levels below where Olam is at and pretty much below anyone we currently have on the books.

Your Hunt love is getting sad 🙄....."

"You love Hymel Hunt. Why is he without a club for 2024?"

I'm starting to see how the boys on 360 manage to get the Tigers fanbase so worked up..

yes we do. his name is Fonua Pole. Chris Fa’agutu is also in that mould. they aren’t your brick shithouse body types but they can certainly be explosive enforcers.
Serious question, in terms of body shape and size, what’s the difference between Spencer Leniu amd Pole? I’d say no difference, the enforcer aspect comes through aggression and desire to bash through a line. Do I see it differently or do others agree?

Serious question, in terms of body shape and size, what’s the difference between Spencer Leniu amd Pole? I’d say no difference, the enforcer aspect comes through aggression and desire to bash through a line. Do I see it differently or do others agree?
near identical mate.

Leniu - 183cm, 110kg
Pole - 182cm, 108kg

for reference Chris Fa’agutu sits at 179 and 101, while Kit is at 178 and 105. both are more in the lock mould.

Dont know about walking into those sides. He’s a bit of a bash them through the middle type, low skill all barge. And he seems to have lost his venom in his most crucial part of his game. Your taking him hoping the 30+ old Olam is going to recapture some old form. Nice bet for $600,000 for 3 years.
Just not worth the bet for me, with heaps of juniors coming through that needs spots. Remember Cronk wasn’t a half when he started. U can groom a player into another position.

U can groom a player into another position.
When have we "DONE" that?

Chris Lawrence is the only example that worked for us, unless you count Josh Reynolds at Hooker ;)

There are 2 halves to scoring:
the good halfback or 5/8 who sees the gap.
The back that runs through.

By biggest fear with signing Luai, is we sign a 5/8 becoming Halfback who has no actual backs he can put through a gap. Yes Nofa, for all his faults, Nofa can find the line.... But who else?

Were loosing an injury prone forward for a decent center who at his worst equals our best center

When have we "DONE" that?

Chris Lawrence is the only example that worked for us, unless you count Josh Reynolds at Hooker ;)

There are 2 halves to scoring:
the good halfback or 5/8 who sees the gap.
The back that runs through.

By biggest fear with signing Luai, is we sign a 5/8 becoming Halfback who has no actual backs he can put through a gap. Yes Nofa, for all his faults, Nofa can find the line.... But who else?

Were loosing an injury prone forward for a decent center who at his worst equals our best center
I’m going with never. Reynolds, just no and Chris Lawrence would never had played SRF for any other club but ours, he was average at best. I hate saying it bcoz he’s one our few one club players and a good bloke.

AJ looks to be converting to a backrower given what we’ve seen in preseason photos. also makes sense if Blore is moving on due to a clear lack of quality on the edge beyond Papali’i and Bateman.

Olam will obviously take one centre spot with To’a and Naden fighting it out for the other on the right. both are players who will either thrive due to the competition for spots or fade into obscurity.

as for Feledy I think in time he could unseat all three of them, but he is a long way off right now imo. his defence isn’t even NSW Cup standard, let alone first grade.

I agree with most of your points, apart from Naden being in the mix. I hope he proves us wrong.

Been a few mentions of Matamua recently including by myself, I think he’s a long way away from FG from what I’ve seen.
Pretty sure Matamua is seen as a smarter, Yeo-style lock. Between a few unforced errors, limited minutes and some floggings, he hasn't shown much at all. Still, he looks better than someone like Liam Fulton did at the same stage of his career.

We've got too manly lined up for that lock role. We'll need to push a couple of the guys to the edge or into the prop rotation. I think pole might move into the 8-10 purely because of depth at prop vs lock.

The earlier benji can identify who shifts, the better. All lads should be duel training in lock + prop or edge.

Given our depth here, Galvin may be looking more at centre. It looks like he finds it hard to put on weight.

As others have said, it's a big year for matimua to justify a top 30 with this quality competition around him

Latest posts

Members online

Back