Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@teddy23 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1071467) said:
Just curious how much would he command, haven't seen much of the kid but don't think a 24 year old SL prop would break the bank too much.....

John Bateman is apparently on $400k at the Raiders although through his new Australian agent, our old mate Isaac Moses, he is angling for an upgrade (shocker!)

Bateman was probably more highly credentialed, not by much though and it depends on the market, but you'd have to think $400k is a minimum and $500k, even $600k would be top dollar. Don't underestimate the weaker AUD impact which likely pushes it slightly to the higher end of things

Lets not forget who coaches the England team ?? Wayne himself and if the burgess shoulder problem is correct they will be heads down favs to sign him.. Burgess boys will sell it to him and the side benefits will just top it off.. I will not be holding any hope unless WestsTigers announce it or Coach say so..

We are no chance of signing a high calibre player unless we pay massive overs. For Bateman that would mean 900k minimum which he is not worth. Players will not come to us. We need to sign up and coming players or develop our own.

I would imagine there would be a healthy transfer fee if he is still contracted in the UK....and Iam not sure how transfer money works with the cap. Of course there is always a chance of a swap, but Packer would not get a Pommy visa.

Kev Nagamia may have had a chat to him, but from experience we are usually the under bidder in the quality market

@Curly_Tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1071478) said:
One man might know have the Luke Thompson inside word, any word @THE_POM?

How bout letting him post when he's ready.

@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1071483) said:
I reckon it is bad luck having two players with the same surname who aren't related at our club

Didn’t we do that in ‘05?? At some point.. seemed to work out alright😂

@GNR4LIFE said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1071480) said:

I think that the insinuation was because Thompson is a Pommie and The POM even though the POM is not English.

@Bathursttiger2 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1071487) said:

I think that the insinuation was because Thompson is a Pommie and The POM even though the POM is not English.

I got it ☺️

@Yossarian said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1071484) said:
Does Luke Thompson count as a mystery prop?

I'd say so. Guessing You've heard we're signing a prop?

Some talk JWH at the Chooks wants to take up a offer from Ivan, probably been organised by the Chooks media man Gus Gould. Anyway if it goes ahead watch them swoop for Thomson

@Chipofftheoldblock said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1071447) said:
@balmain-boy - I have been singing this guys praises for a while now. He just won the Harry Sutherland Medal in the SL GF on the weekend (our Clive Churchill equivalent). He played for 70min straight at Prop making 188m and 42 tackles. This guy could transform our team. He is aggressive in the tackle and runs with determination. Top of the signings for me is this guy and what a coup it would it be.

He is also quite fast for a prop and has a good step. I too have mentioned on here a couple of times. Hope its more than a rumour.

@hsvjones said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1071473) said:
Lets not forget who coaches the England team ?? Wayne himself and if the burgess shoulder problem is correct they will be heads down favs to sign him.. Burgess boys will sell it to him and the side benefits will just top it off.. I will not be holding any hope unless WestsTigers announce it or Coach say so..

Also I would have thought Holbrook would be in his ear to come to the titans if they could offload some of their deadwood.

Got it, I'll make sure I flag it clearly next time around

I don't buy that. Who has the most reliable inside info on the forum? The line was thrown out for inside info.

@Thaiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1071249) said:
@rustycage I don’t think anyone is saying he (or Lee Silva) is the next Blake Ferguson. Yes you need talent but you also need the will to win & they had both. A stock standard winger that does under 11 secs for the 100m, can catch the high ball and tackles and intimidates his opposite number I think will go alright. The try saver v Cronulla caught my eye also and he scored plenty of tries when he did get the chance. I suggest you also take a look at his schoolboy highlights which could be a good pointer of things to come if you want to look at real speed and pretty scary defence even for union which I would normally be very suspect and not a fan of when it comes to league.

He’s not the only one coming through though. Smith, Mavonni, Burey, Cini, Dillon, Stevanovic, Wilson - all have immense talent that sounds like you haven’t watched all season. They did win 6 out of their last 7 with some going up to CC so that must count for something.

I’m an old Wests Tigers supporter, watcher of younger grades and an optimist obviously. Maybe I do have the goggles on about our youth but I’ve watched enough over the years to know we have the ability to bring these young players through very successfully.

Thanks for the reply Thaiger. Don't get me wrong, I hope he goes really well. I just didn't see much in that particular footage. I wish it was possible for me to pay closer attention to the guys coming through. Those of you that occasionally let us know how these young guys are going always get my attention and I'm sure most here really appreciate that as well. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back