Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Pascoe brought him in along with Roberts Madge wasn’t present when negotiations were happening same as when he went to training and Daine was there first day he didn’t even know who he was and why he was there Pascoe making those moves without his knowledge

Not defending Madge btw but Pascoe shouldn’t be doing these decisions
You pulling our leg?

Penrith released Daine Laurie 3 months after we signed him. If Maguire couldn't recognise a player we had signed 3 months earlier things are worse than I thought
He knew we signed him but originally Daine wasn’t supposed to come until this year he was surprised when he saw him at the club training as he had no idea that they swapped him and Momo around early to get him last year perhaps I should have been more clear but Madge was shocked still when he was at training when he wasn’t expecting him until this year

I was one.
We now have our answer.
He was shit.
Being handed the custodian role against a rampaging Sharks was a poisoned chalice to say the least...and regardless ,he wasnt great under the high ball.
..and btw...Laurie wld have been a disaster under those bombs that every other team can produce but apprently not WTs
But havent written him off at all...think we shld be considering him as a centre only..which we desperately need

He knew we signed him but originally Daine wasn’t supposed to come until this year he was surprised when he saw him at the club training as he had no idea that they swapped him and Momo around early to get him last year perhaps I should have been more clear but Madge was shocked still when he was at training when he wasn’t expecting him until this year
Well if fully accurate, that’s embarrassing and a terrible lack of corporate communication. Don’t they have meetings?

If only it was as just as simple as flicking the coach. Man for man our top 30 is the weakest in the competition and compared to some squads significantly. Our results reflect that and Who ever the next guy is, unless the club can recruit some talent into the FG squad any young players coming through will have no opportunity to transition to FG without getting slaughtered.
Newcastle Bulldogs St George Broncos all with coaches with a rep in their second year struggling for consistency because their squads lack the quality needed to match the better teams - and they all have more to select from than we do. The talent in the Broncos squad is mind blowing compared to ours.
The coach will be the fall guy, but the real problem remains and is a far bigger problem to resolve.
Our squad is very weak, but we should still be doing better and should have won half our matches so far.

If most of our players are playing at 80-90% of their best week in week out we'd win 7-8 games a season. The problem is our players are currently playing at 30-40% of their actual abilities, and you won't win a game while playing that poorly. It's absolutely apparent that Madge cannot bring the best, or even half of the best out of our players. And therefore a caretaker coach should be installed ASAP until the end of the season. If that person does wellWith a decision on the 2023 coach to be made at a later date.

I'm happy if Cayless takes over for the rest of the season, he's been around the NRL for a long time and been an assistant for a while. With Sheens to help oversee things and input from Gardiner and co too. Or if Morris is happy to take up the option of half a season with us, and the opportunity to showcase what he can do (and if he does well get to the front of the line for 2023) then i'd be happy with that too.

Talent lost under Madge’s watch:
Ryan Matterson - not everyone’s cup of tea. But the one and only year he was here nearly made the 8 and he had his best season in NRL.

Luciano Leilua - arguably our best forward. Reckons he loves Madge and one of the few players who has improved. Massive offer from Cowboys but why wasn’t he locked away on a better deal earlier.

Kelma Tuilagi - Killed it in NSW cup last year and was only given a 1 year extension for 22. Manly swooped. If you watched cup games last year he was scoring a lot tries and a handful for opposition teams. Not sure why he wasn’t offered minimum 2 year deal.

Benji Marshall - Moved on from the club. Again we didn’t improve at all. If anything went backwards.

Josh Mow my lawn Aloai - he was a tough player, had an error in him but offers a lot more than what we have currently.

Not sure what we can do to turn this around. This ship has sunk to new lows.

Our squad is very weak, but we should still be doing better and should have won half our matches so far.

If most of our players are playing at 80-90% of their best week in week out we'd win 7-8 games a season. The problem is our players are currently playing at 30-40% of their actual abilities, and you won't win a game while playing that poorly. It's absolutely apparent that Madge cannot bring the best, or even half of the best out of our players. And therefore a caretaker coach should be installed ASAP until the end of the season. If that person does wellWith a decision on the 2023 coach to be made at a later date.

I'm happy if Cayless takes over for the rest of the season, he's been around the NRL for a long time and been an assistant for a while. With Sheens to help oversee things and input from Gardiner and co too. Or if Morris is happy to take up the option of half a season with us, and the opportunity to showcase what he can do (and if he does well get to the front of the line for 2023) then i'd be happy with that too.
Wouldn't matter who the coach is if we have a team that as you suggest are playing 30%,- 40% of their ability. If that doesn't emphasise why good players don't want a bar of us I don't know what does.

We are going to be in a world of pain for the rest of this season and next , if we dont sign some good solid players over the next month we won’t get any , my reasons
1) we are running last , no one wants to go to last placed team
2) most of our squad is week so new player has all the pressure on him
3) our second grade team are also week , no real guns coming up as we would use them now
4) players who are or may be leaving , Kel , Lucy , Garner , Tamou , Brooks ? , Roberts , Simpkin , Lids , Madden , that’s approx 9 and we can’t sign any , got 2 coming that leaves 7 more , good luck I say
The Dogs were coming last last season and simply offering cash got them a number of big name players.

Whether it ultimately helps them or not is another question, but at least they were able to approach and sign players they wanted.

The Dogs were coming last last season and simply offering cash got them a number of big name players.

Whether it ultimately helps them or not is another question, but at least they were able to approach and sign players they wanted.
Due to overspending their cap that’s what has landed them all those players and that’s why Kikau and Mahoney haven’t been announced yet by the Dogs they have to offload players to fit them in their cap not due to Barrett being a good coach now under a good coach Dogs could be a force again but they ain’t doing it with Barrett that’s why its only a matter of time before he gets sacked too

Players who I would be calling today
Simms x 2 years. Tough go forward
lodge x 2 years , yes I know BUT. We need his type player
Bird x 3 years. Solid player back row / Centre
Duffy x 2 years Fullback / Centre
Aitken / Centre
add Appi and Papai
we can mix the rest around these type guys
Not Dufty. His performance against the Panthers was unacceptable by a professional. First half he had 2 runs for a total of 1 metre when Dylan Edwards had well over 100m. Add in his 5 errors and inability to read what the opposition is going in defence (3 tries to Penrith through holes caused by Dufty). Bloke is dreadful

Need to go for realistic targets

Aitken on one edge would be fine
Dufty > Laurie

I would avoid Sims based on age, but understand why we might have a crack.

Need speed desperately to, we need to fast track a couple of 19 year olds or bring it in from outside.
Anyone saying Dufty didn't watch him yesterday. Was the worst individual performance by an NRL player I've ever witnessed

Talent lost under Madge’s watch:
Ryan Matterson - not everyone’s cup of tea. But the one and only year he was here nearly made the 8 and he had his best season in NRL.

Luciano Leilua - arguably our best forward. Reckons he loves Madge and one of the few players who has improved. Massive offer from Cowboys but why wasn’t he locked away on a better deal earlier.

Kelma Tuilagi - Killed it in NSW cup last year and was only given a 1 year extension for 22. Manly swooped. If you watched cup games last year he was scoring a lot tries and a handful for opposition teams. Not sure why he wasn’t offered minimum 2 year deal.

Benji Marshall - Moved on from the club. Again we didn’t improve at all. If anything went backwards.

Josh Mow my lawn Aloai - he was a tough player, had an error in him but offers a lot more than what we have currently.

Not sure what we can do to turn this around. This ship has sunk to new lows.

You forgot to mention
Packer
Mbye
Reynolds
McQueen

Back