Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

You would have to think the club is being careful about maintaining relativities between players especially in similar playing positions. Crighton is an SOO player but Papali'i is an NZ international and an in-form second row forward. It would be hard to justify Crichton receiving more $.

Yep, I actually find it reassuring we are not throwing big money at him.

I'd rather not blow the cap than get that big name Signing people are waiting for.

Should stop people saying sheens doesn't know how to manage the cap.

You would have to think the club is being careful about maintaining relativities between players especially in similar playing positions. Crighton is an SOO player but Papali'i is an NZ international and an in-form second row forward. It would be hard to justify Crichton receiving more $.
I understand but at the cost of a rep player. Just think add Crighton and another rep player with our already talented players and were on the way to the finals.

Except Gildart the club has been doing really well on the recruitment front so leave it in there hands.

Like to get this Dykes over here though. Seems to be have big wraps.

I understand but at the cost of a rep player. Just think add Crighton and another rep player with our already talented players and were on the way to the finals.

Except Gildart the club has been doing really well on the recruitment front so leave it in there hands.

Like to get this Dykes over here though. Seems to be have big wraps.
I understand the enthusiasm to get Crichton but not at the expense of upset in the dressing shed because he is getting more $ than a more highly performed player in the same pos. He should want to come to WTs because we are WTs and play positive, attacking football with a strong defence. This is just my opinion.

Last edited:
A whole 12...
How many have made an NRL career in the last 10 years (Outside the few rattled off the other day)

There's no doubt there's kids in the SWS, There's no doubt there may be some coming through - Good Ones.
I'm really happy Gallant is involved - No one knows the lay out the land out there better than him.

But the old crap the area is ignored, And it's Wests Tigers fault there's no talent coming out of there in recent years - Is a load of absolute crap.
Wests Tigers have always done a decent job of getting out and about in the area, getting the talent out there into grades (Rua maybe a more recent one from memory)...
Could it be improved - Probably... Everything can be improved.

Players come through Juniors in Clumps, They always have....
The idea the area is neglected totally by the WT's is just garbage...
Why are you dissing 12?
That’s a tremendous representation across the State’s four premier teenage rep teams. No one is saying they’re all going to play NRL, but it’s an indication of the strength of the region. An area in which the Wests Tigers have dropped the ball in recent years on every single player who has kicked on to reach the NRL.

I agree that former Wests Magpies juniors; Shannon Gallant, Robbie Mears, Shayne McMenemy & Joe Saukuru are the big hope to turn things around.

We were told today that the talk of Angus Crichton is over-stated in the media. Tigers have talked about him internally but not approached the player or his manager.
It was overstated in the media because WT rumour monger fans went totally overboard on all platforms and convinced them it was true.
It always sounded like BS to me.

hate 2 pick at scabs but, Magpies are more there than Balmain
Hate to see that after more than 20 years as a joint venture that there is still a Magpies/Balmain thing going on.

I came from the Balmain side of things as a supporter and have some good memories, some not so good and I am sure that many old Magpies supporters would say the same, but these days I am fully invested in the Wests Tigers because whether you like it or not that is the future, that is the reality.

It's sad to see that there is still an us and them type of sentiment alive and well out there and personally I blame the club for some of it still existing.

I can see there is a place for recognizing the past and the fact that we are the merging of 2 proud foundation clubs, but what I can't understand is that after more than 20 years we still don't have everything under the Wests Tigers banner, that is our future and I can't understand having various lower grades and juniors running around as anything other than under some iteration of Wests Tigers.

The most distressing thing that I find, being out here in the Macarthur region is the number of Souffs supporters and Souffs stickers on cars. Those filthy scum have made a number of attempts to encroach upon the Macarthur area as I believe those scum see us as vulnerable because we can't get our acts together.

My thoughts only and some may disagree.

The reason AC hasn't had his Rorters extention ratified by the NRL is because they would have gone over the cap.
The fact that they were chasing Munster and now reports have come in that they want Cobbo makes AC still a target IMO.
We can't play overs though, after all this time trying to get out of Cap mess.
Get AC at a good price and probably have enough for someone else.

You’d rather be in the trenches with Dale
Except these days he is in the trenches less and less.

I'd like to think positively about this with the belief Sheens is working quietly behind the scenes to recruit good young players on the periphery of the NRL. That is where we get our bang for buck, not big name signings like Crichton. Utoikamanu and Laurie are shining examples.
But we have to spend the vast majority of the cap so we either sign some marquee players along the way or we pay overs for many periphery players

I can't see the Chrichton question being answered soon. He was offered and accepted the roosters extension so I can imagine he will bide his time to see if it can work out at the roosters before seriously entertaining offers from other clubs - unless of course he has already been tapped on the shoulder.
What a bastard of a club though. Offer him a 2 year extension to keep a hold on him even though they know they can't get it ratified by NRL. Then go about getting all their ducks in a row to make big play for Munster and Cobbo. If they are a seroius chance of getting them AC.s extension will be off the table quicker than he can find a pen to sign it.

What a bastard of a club though. Offer him a 2 year extension to keep a hold on him even though they know they can't get it ratified by NRL. Then go about getting all their ducks in a row to make big play for Munster and Cobbo. If they are a seroius chance of getting them AC.s extension will be off the table quicker than he can find a pen to sign it.
AC can force the issue. It is not as though he will be left without options if the Roosters advise they cannot re-sign him yet because they have higher priorities.

Burton is at a cross roads....

If he leaves the Dogs - he would be going back to Penrith to play centre.

Or to another club.... to probably play centre.

I would be interesting to undertake a comparison between WTs' investment in its junior districts to the investments made by Melbourne, Roosters and even the Broncos. I have the strong suspicion that it is much easier to pick the eyes out of the best juniors from those clubs which do invest in junior districts when you are spending next to nothing on your own districts (perhaps because they don't exist which is another issue).
I agree. Consider the annual cost of trying to support hundreds of kids playing every week, including rep matches, versus the annual cost of a single very well-funded recruitment unit within your club that scouts all districts.

I agree, but surely players must understand this is what they get with the Roosters? Roosters appear to be very loyal and will definitely take care of you, but it's on their own terms, and those terms may include putting you out to a well-paid pasture when a shiny new toy comes to market.

Also Roosters might talk big about bringing kids into their system and "up-skilling" them once they arrive, but it must be clear to everyone that this consists almost entirely of paying for the boom players from anywhere.

It's not even that Roosters find these kids at 15 or 16 and bring them in, which can reasonably be claimed to be a significant investment in a middle-juniors program (which is what they did with Manu and Latrell). No they barely bother with that any more, they wait for the boom to hit, then swoop. E.g. JWH after Manly identified him, Tedesco after being established at Tigers, Sam Walker stolen from Broncos, Crichton and Suaalii stolen from Souths, Cheese from Melbourne etc. etc. Almost anyone prominently decent were purchased at their prime, not carefully developed since early teens.

You can be angry about it, and it does annoy me, but it's obviously a strategy that also works. They take the lowest possible risks with outlaying for young footballers, and become a desirable destination for having a high-quality roster with lucrative / long-term pay and support options.

I personally think it's soul-less and dislike that club immensely, and it's a far far cry from what the old Easts Roosters were when my Grandma supported them as a kid from Paddington, even in the 1980s. Maybe, however, it's the way many clubs are going, and it perhaps raises an argument for the NRL taking central control of all junior funding.

Last edited:
I understand the enthusiasm to get Crichton but not at the expense of upset in the dressing shed because he is getting more $ than a more highly performed player in the same pos. He should want to come to WTs because we are WTs and play positive, attacking football with a strong defence. This is just my opinion.
75-100k more is hardly that big a margin.

Look at Tino at gold coast. Getting 700/750k while fifita gets 1.2 million.

That is a balls up in regards to morale.

Pap is playing better than Chrichton now. Over the career though Crighton would take the win because he was more consistent. Pap was ordinary as at the Warriors.

I just think 700k is worth it. Nothing more though.

So we have multiple people say he's been offered a deal and a couple of people who say he hasn't. It's not easy to to know which is gospel.

I doubt any formal deal has been offered, it would be more conversational with intent.
Would think this will take a few months with SOO around the corner then finals.
Angus won't have any issues finding a club so he doesn't need to rush into a decision.

75-100k more is hardly that big a margin.

Look at Tino at gold coast. Getting 700/750k while fifita gets 1.2 million.

That is a balls up in regards to morale.

Pap is playing better than Chrichton now. Over the career though Crighton would take the win because he was more consistent. Pap was ordinary as at the Warriors.

I just think 700k is worth it. Nothing more though.
I remember being told about how inequities in contract $ can undermine morale in the sheds. I'm glad we don't have to make the decision.

Burton is at a cross roads....

If he leaves the Dogs - he would be going back to Penrith to play centre.

Or to another club.... to probably play centre.
I think Storm have their Munster answer by Nov 1 and use his money for a direct swap with Burton to play 6. Would be a superstar there.

Back