Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Well about Nado, young mate said that when he was in the juniors were playing the roster in training, he was never a “ don’t you know who I am” player.

He was first to give the youngsters tips and befriend everyone. Therefore on the personality grounds, the best nrl player he’s ever met.

And the kids looked up to him a lot more than the superstars.

Lucy flattened him in a game once and young mate was the tackler. A bit of the Packer on the cat scenario. Trashed talked our club and after that collision, pussy has never had quite the same arrogant way about him.

Another kid at work played with Dufty and Host, no guessing who he enjoys having a beer with. Mary would never give Hosty a run and no one was more surprised than Host when the bunnies reached out to him lol. That’s a nice story. Plucked from Marys bench to play in a gf or something like that. He’s another good bloke who is humble and grateful for good fortune.

I don’t know any current players, although the last player I met was DWZ. He was very kind and I got a photo. I just wished him well with injuries and he gave me that nrl player nod of understanding. They all hate injuries.
He’s a hard core ball of muscle, DWZ, nice fella to us groupies. He was a doggy at the time.

Blorey is sighted wondering around Penrith Westfield’s sometimes. Massive unit.

Last edited:
If Roosters offered 600k we need to offer 700k. If not then we have to just hope Blore or a young player come through the grades because there is not much out there at the moment.

We don't know how much he will accept. We do know that we have to be careful because when you miss out it's often a good thing because you have to get value for money out of your squad.

Personally if we can get Crichton on 700k and hopefully front loaded if that is possible he'd be great buy. It would give us elite edge backrowers.

The thing is the point about Hastings vs Brooks that Spartan made is to me much more important than signing Crichton. You can even add AD to that mix. We have to get our cap right and spend it on these 3 and Madden for our long term future.

We don't know how much he will accept. We do know that we have to be careful because when you miss out it's often a good thing because you have to get value for money out of your squad.

Personally if we can get Crichton on 700k and hopefully front loaded if that is possible he'd be great buy. It would give us elite edge backrowers.

The thing is the point about Hastings vs Brooks that Spartan made is to me much more important than signing Crichton. You can even add AD to that mix. We have to get our cap right and spend it on these 3 and Madden for our long term future.
What position will Douhie play though?

What position will Douhie play though?

My personal preference is Hastings 7 and AD 6. I think that would be our best combination.

The reality is though AD has to get on the park and prove himself as the other two do as well.

If you can keep all of them under the cap it's cool but can you keep them all under the cap and have a good backline and a good pack ?

There is a way around this. I also think this is what they do in the NBA. You basically pay out a bonus to all the players on your team.

I like this idea because it doesn't impact your cap longer term.
I think I'm getting the gist of what you are saying..

Salary cap compliance has a floor as well as a ceiling.. Clubs must spend at least 96% of the Cap.. Bonuses are factored into player contracts .. can be a number of things.. plying x number of FG games.. making Origin. International representation etc.. When activated the bonuses are included in the Cap .. Clubs allow for it ..

Wonder if the dogs would try a swap Brooks for Burton, notice i said the dogs not us. Would certainly be interesting one to ponder. Brooks apparently agitated for a release all summer i think those thoughts just dont disappear because you have a couple of half decent games.

I can see bias against the Tigers when I want them to win and I can see bias for other teams when I have tipped or bet on them and want then to win.
OK what about the games where you didn't tip/gamble and Tigers were not playing?

What about when you bet on the Tigers winning? Does that for/against bias get ruled out?

Assuming you don't always tip for the favourite, you are saying the refs are somehow aligned to what you have tipped and are biased towards that tip, but only so long as Wests Tigers are involved?

You are describing 100% observational and selection bias.

With so many good young players now at WTs, we need to keep some of the $ in reserve for upgrades.

As a separate issue, the Dogs with Thompson, TPJ, Kikau and others have some hefty contracts to move. It will be interesting to watch how this plays out. I do feel sorry for Vaughan who is not really the flavour of the month but others have done worse and are still in the NRL.

With so many good young players now at WTs, we need to keep some of the $ in reserve for upgrades.
So many? We are coming equal last. Until they start competing consistently and improving upgrades can wait. Roosters and Storm wouldn't upgrade unless performances were met.

What position does Burton want to play moving forward. Is he playing in the position at the dogs what he signed on for .Half-back or centre. Or would he make a good 13.

I think I'm getting the gist of what you are saying..

Salary cap compliance has a floor as well as a ceiling.. Clubs must spend at least 96% of the Cap.. Bonuses are factored into player contracts .. can be a number of things.. plying x number of FG games.. making Origin. International representation etc.. When activated the bonuses are included in the Cap .. Clubs allow for it ..
I don't think he's talking about performance bonuses, he's talking about a windfall payment for all players on the roster if the club is below its salary floor at the time it needs to have met its floor. So if you have a floor of $90 million or whatever it is and your 15-man roster (NBA) is only getting paid $80 million on their contracts they'll all get a 15th of the $10 million gap paid to them.
You wouldn't do it in the NRL, you would just re-jig some of the larger contracts on your books to bring forward payments into the current year.

At the risk of copping from everyone, I actually think Brookes has been good since moving to 6. I'd like him to stay with Douehi in the centres; or Brookes on the bench - he could play 1/2, 5/8, hooker, lock, etc - similiar to how Wing did at the Rorters..

I don't think he's talking about performance bonuses, he's talking about a windfall payment for all players on the roster if the club is below its salary floor at the time it needs to have met its floor. So if you have a floor of $90 million or whatever it is and your 15-man roster (NBA) is only getting paid $80 million on their contracts they'll all get a 15th of the $10 million gap paid to them.
You wouldn't do it in the NRL, you would just re-jig some of the larger contracts on your books to bring forward payments into the current year.

It was mentioned that we have to spend our cap but there appear to be ways around it.

I reckon you could do it as a bonus based on Geo's post or as you state just re-jig bigger contracts.

At the risk of copping from everyone, I actually think Brookes has been good since moving to 6. I'd like him to stay with Douehi in the centres; or Brookes on the bench - he could play 1/2, 5/8, hooker, lock, etc - similiar to how Wing did at the Rorters..

He has been good. Brooks is a pretty good first grader. He'd have value off the bench as well.

He has been good. Brooks is a pretty good first grader. He'd have value off the bench as well.
Certainly could. His speed and defence are both strong. Could on after 20 or 30 mins. turn a game with his speed. Cover hooker, edge, middle, centre or in the halves.

Latest posts

Back