Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Yea the only thing that makes sense is everyone else in that squad is on 200k or less .
Which doesn’t make any real sense because most of thier signings the last 4 years were desperation signings . They’ve been paying overs for a long time .
So how they’re under the cap is anyones guess really .
So they have JAC 650,000, Thompson 750,000 Pangai 650,00 Jackson 600,00Flanagan 350,00 Allen 350,000 I don’t know if these are correct but that’s what’s been said that’s 3,350,00 million of there cap for 6 players , so that leaves 290,000 for each of the remaining 24 players 🤔🥴

Reactions: 851
So they have JAC 650,000, Thompson 750,000 Pangai 650,00 Jackson 600,00Flanagan 350,00 Allen 350,000 I don’t know if these are correct but that’s what’s been said that’s 3,350,00 million of there cap for 6 players , so that leaves 290,000 for each of the remaining 24 players 🤔🥴
Doesn’t quite work like that.

The issue with Laurie is his defence . Everyone talks about line breaks etc , but his defence as in positioning and ability to organise the line makes it impossible to keep him .
There’s a reason our kick diffusion is the worst in the nrl .
If we are going to run a ball playing 13 it really negates what Laurie is good at , especially if the sweeping and linking is done by the opposite side half. By the time Laurie / fullback gets the ball he’s only operating in the far channel , usually 3 on 2 but over like 5m of total width .
What he doesn’t do , is support around the ruck . So many times I’ve watched joffa especially get his arms free , to see no one there .
From what I’ve seen of Staines what he provides , is what we lack .
But like I said this is all dependant on playing a ball playing 13:
Laurie lets the ball bounce so much. It's embarrassing. He's a big reason why our sets always get off to poor starts, and why we struggle to maintain field position.

Laurie lets the ball bounce so much. It's embarrassing. He's a big reason why our sets always get off to poor starts, and why we struggle to maintain field position.
Wests Tigers can find another position for Laurie which is not fullback but a back up half spot.

Is Staines really that much of an improvement at fullback? Surely the club might be a chance at jagging Jayden Campbell or the Hammer Tabuai-Fidow who can't get a start at their current clubs, Toddy P owes us a favour
I’d rather we didn’t sign Staines it’s not worth it

Penrith look like they may be forced to free a few players and we are linked to the fringe first grade. Same every year, we buy players hoping we may be able to turn them into world beaters…with zero success. Just hope our pathways system delivers half a dozen pots of gold, because we are doomed other wise

I see Staines in the Dylan Edwards mould. Will slowly improve in the role and end up having a decent sized fullback with a high workrate, just lacking a touch of class.

I'd rather Garrick, Hammer or Niu, but I can picture Staines doing well. No doubt he has learnt to play much more physical in the past 12 months and he will get a but thicker over the next few years. His passing game is better then you would expect too.

Don't forget they are adding Kikau and Mahoney next year too. They won't be playing for food stamps.

From https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/off-contract-2022/ just now: the off contract players for next season. Not much in the fullback spot. There are a few forwards worth looking at, though some are getting old.

NRL PLAYERS OFF CONTRACT 2022 | NRL CONTRACTS
A complete list of NRL players who are off contract at the end of the 2022 rugby league season.

BRONCOS
Delouise Hoeter, Ryan James, Albert Kelly, Corey Oates, Keenan Palasia, Jake Turpin, Billy Walters

7 players off contract

RAIDERS
0 players off contract

BULLDOGS
Matt Doorey, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Reece Hoffman, Tuipulotu Katoa, Joe Stimson, Jackson Topine, Brandon Wakeham

7 players off contract

SHARKS
Jayden Berrell, Andrew Fifita, Wade Graham, Mawene Hiroti, Royce Hunt, Franklin Pele, Aiden Tolman

7 players off contract

DOLPHINS
0 players off contract

TITANS
Herman Ese'ese, Esan Marsters, Kevin Proctor

3 players off contract

SEA EAGLES
Morgan Boyle, Andrew Davey, Manase Fainu, Sione Fainu, Martin Taupau

5 players off contract

STORM
Tom Eisenhuth, Dean Ieremia, George Jennings, Cooper Johns, Chris Lewis, Jayden Nikorima, Young Tonumaipea

7 players off contract

WARRIORS
Daejarn Asi, Temple Kalepo, Dunamis Lui, Jack Murchie, Pride Petterson-Robati, Junior Ratuva

6 players off contract

KNIGHTS
Phoenix Crossland, Brayden Musgrove, Pasami Saulo, Sauaso Sue

4 players off contract

COWBOYS
Kane Bradley, Brendan Elliot, Brendan Frei, Ben Hampton, Jordan McLean, Emry Pere

6 players off contract

EELS
Solomone Naiduki, Tom Opacic, Hayze Perham

3 players off contract

PANTHERS
Christian Crichton, Matthew Eisenhuth, Kurt Falls, Jaeman Salmon

4 players off contract

RABBITOHS
Michael Chee-Kam, Lachlan Gale, Josh Mansour, Steven Marsters, Taane Milne, Jaxson Paulo, Isaiah Tass, Izaac Thompson

8 players off contract

DRAGONS
Billy Burns, Poasa Faamausili, Jackson Ford, Jack Gosiewski, Tautau Moga

5 players off contract

ROOSTERS
Angus Crichton, Moala Graham-Taufa, Matthew Lodge

3 players off contract

WESTS TIGERS
William Kei, Jock Madden, James Roberts, Tommy Talau, James Tamou

5 players off contract

My picks would be: Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Jackson Topine, Royce Hunt, Franklin Pele, Ben Hampton, Jordan McLean, Jaeman Salmon and Angus Crichton.
Retaining Jock Madden, Tommy Talau and James Tamou.

I think the biggest issue with our roster, specifically the forward pack, is that Madge was trying to build a big pack that would drag an opposition team into an arm wrestle. And when he first started (3-4 years ago) it made sense, but since then the game has swung towards favouring mobility over size and it really disadvantaged us.

There is still a place in the game for big boppers but you need balance in your pack, look at the Knights for another example. They have heaps of talent in their pack, but they are too big and lack mobility.

I really think this is where TS' comment about Madge being a square peg in a round hole makes the most sense.
Madge knows how to build a forward pack that can win a comp in 2014, but not in 2022.

This is why I think Pole has been so successful in these early days his mobility is a huge asset, and why it makes sense to bring Blore into the middle.

Back