Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Release of Musgrove sees the current middle options for ‘23 as - Stefano Utoikamanu, Joe Ofahengaue, Alex Twal, Fonua Pole, Shawn Blore, Tuki Simpkins, Sione Fainu, Alex Seyfarth + Rua Ngatikaura. Teenagers Justin Matamua, Chris Fa’agutu & Jordan Miller also coming through.

Early days but WT have been able to retain the core group of juniors it wanted to build around moving forward (Miller, Da Silva etc) while also hitting on each release so far since the new football department came together.

Adding a Bateman + Klemmer/Brown/Leniu + a fit Blore + Ice would really change the intensity and attitude of the pack. Wouldn’t hurt adding some older, experienced heads with something left in the tank given how young and inexperienced the side is and will continue to get in '23/'24.

Think his best football is behind him and wouldn’t expect any Dally M season repeats, if WT can lower the transfer fee for Bateman, think he could do a lot for this squad for a couple of years. A lot of forwards who are passive in nature and lack an edge and superb experience.

Another one who could come into contention next year is Tuki. Tuki didn’t fit any criteria for what Madge wanted out of his forwards, someone with the ability to offload 2/3/4 times a game would be right up Sheens' alley.
That is what I am looking forward to next year. Players being able to play to their natural strengths and not look like robots.

Klemmer will be another that fits this category.
To be fair Klemmer is at the right age. 28 years old and punching very solid stats every week.

Big unit, big motor, big output. It's not a bad signing.

The kids need a mentor and experience. Klemmer has played in a grand final and NSW/Australia. Knows what it takes to get there and is head and shoulders above his team at Newcastle.

It's not a Tamou signing where we're getting a pensioner to phone it in. You can clearly see Klemmer gives a shit at Newcastle and it seems his frustration is that his teammates don't.

In footy you can either sign talent or develop talent.

For mine, the chances of a wooden spoon team signing enough quality first graders to make the top eight is about the same as Scott Morrison winning Miss Universe.

Since the Moses/Woods/Tedesco/Brooks/Nofoaluma era, we've really dropped the ball on developing talent and have been stuck signing has-beens from other clubs or gambling on fringe talent or unproven juniors.

While it sounds like a cop out to say that success is still a few years away, it's an realistic summary of the situation that we're in.
Simona i Suli shall be on that list

To be fair Klemmer is at the right age. 28 years old and punching very solid stats every week.

Big unit, big motor, big output. It's not a bad signing.

The kids need a mentor and experience. Klemmer has played in a grand final and NSW/Australia. Knows what it takes to get there and is head and shoulders above his team at Newcastle.

It's not a Tamou signing where we're getting a pensioner to phone it in. You can clearly see Klemmer gives a shit at Newcastle and it seems his frustration is that his teammates don't.
I question his attitude, seems to play for himself. Got punted from NSW because of that, Newy want him gone. I don't think he's a leader.

I question his attitude, seems to play for himself. Got punted from NSW because of that, Newy want him gone. I don't think he's a leader.
He has a go, that's better than 95% of our squad at the minute. I don't care about his motivations. If he's having a go for himself, that's better than not at all.

For me, Manu is easily in the Top 5 fullbacks of the comp and he's not even playing in that position every week. I understand there are "additional reasons" to stay at the Roosters but with the NZ connection to Benji, I would love him to play FB for us.

1. Manu
2. Nofo
3. Naden
4. Doueihi
5. Maumalo
6. Laurie
7. Brooks
8. Klemmer
9. Koroisau
10. Utoikamanu
11. Papali'i
12. Blore
13. Hastings (Captain and first-receiver/half-back/game manager)

Funny how one marquee changes the whole outlook of the team.

Members online

Back