Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Jackson Hastings could end up the surprise odd man out following Wests Tigers’ stunning deal that is set to land star English international John Bateman.

Speculation has swept through the NRL in the wake of the shock revelation of Bateman’s pending return that the tough backrower and Hastings weren’t exactly what you’d call the best of mates previously when they played at Wigan.
Hastings agent Sam Ayoub could not be contacted for comment.
But it’s fair to say rival clubs are watching closely to see how the situation unfolds.
Hastings is also off contract at the end of next season, but if he becomes available for 2023 he will certainly attract some genuine interest

Hastings had already been shifted out of his preferred halfback position to play lock this season, with Luke Brooks and Adam Doueihi expected to be the likely halves pairing going forward if Brooks stays.

That of course will depend on whether the Tigers end up releasing Brooks to Newcastle.

Many are still convinced Brooks will end up at the Knights in 2023.

Brooks is off contract at the end of next season, as is Doueihi.

Tim Sheens had previously stated he would not release Brooks, and in fact wanted to extend him beyond next season.

But it’s also no secret Sheens is making a play to try and sign Parramatta’s Mitchell Moses for 2024 and beyond, and he has already chased but missed Cameron Munster.

Brooks is on a monster deal for 2023, in the vicinity of $1.86 million for the season :)~ so his exit would free up huge salary cap space.

When the Bateman deal gets rubber stamped it will certainly give the Tigers some serious respect in the countdown to the new year regardless of who ends up being the halves pairing.

Bateman, 29, is one of the world’s best edge backrowers and was a raging success during his time at the Canberra Raiders.

Even though it ended badly, there is no question Bateman left with plenty of admirers.

The Tigers have not made the finals since 2011, but the new look roster is really starting to create some excitement.

A month ago the Tigers had all but given up hope of doing the Bateman deal because of the huge transfer fee that Wigan had put on Bateman’s release.

But Sheens appears to have been rewarded for his persistence after continuing to work on the deal while in England for the World Cup, and it could end up a real game-changer for the battling NRL club.

On the back of the recruitment of Api Koroisau from Penrith and Isaiah Papali’i from Parramatta, it gives the Tigers plenty of X factor under the new coaching partnership of Sheens and Benji Marshall.

Bateman is also the sort of player who will no doubt help attract more players to a club that previously struggled to land any significant recruits.

What a suprise Hastings not getting along with other players.

1.86 m now?

Only 1 I can think of is the great Shane Perry Western suburbs Magpie legend and Brisbane Broncos 2006 number 7 grand final winner besides that I struggle to think of a half as bog average but he played in a absolutely cracking team
2004 Bulldogs maybe? Won the Premiership with Brent Sherwin and Bwaith in the halves. I don't think either of them were that quick (or even that good!)

Reactions: 851
I'm interested in what we do re fullback i see 3 options Laurie ,Douehi and Staines . Laurie I like because he's the one player who seemed to try his guts out every week when many around him were not putting in but his small frame can cop a hammering , Douehi is a bigger more robust body but can't do his spiral bombs from FB .Staines just don't know how he would go at FB yet
If Laurie not FB I want him in the halves he's got some speed which JH and AD don't but they are the best organisers. Thoughts?

It's not like we have Tommy Turbo with Garrick as a back-up is it. It's exceptionally poor.

Laurie was so good one week last season and average for a bunch of it. Doueihi has his moments but he does seem to be too slow at fullback. Staines was a backup at Penrith.

Can Laurie handle the halves ?

I'm a fence sitter but how anyone can figure out our spine for next season astounds me.

I'm interested in what we do re fullback i see 3 options Laurie ,Douehi and Staines . Laurie I like because he's the one player who seemed to try his guts out every week when many around him were not putting in but his small frame can cop a hammering , Douehi is a bigger more robust body but can't do his spiral bombs from FB .Staines just don't know how he would go at FB yet
If Laurie not FB I want him in the halves he's got some speed which JH and AD don't but they are the best organisers. Thoughts?
I think Stains will kill it at fullback. Lauries a maybe, dont expect miracles first up. The other 2 will not be their at years end. If Brooks stays i see Api playing in the halves with him, till such time as Sheens buys or promotes a decent 5 and 6 ,.,. The aim i think is 2024 .

Jackson Hastings could end up the surprise odd man out following Wests Tigers’ stunning deal that is set to land star English international John Bateman.

Speculation has swept through the NRL in the wake of the shock revelation of Bateman’s pending return that the tough backrower and Hastings weren’t exactly what you’d call the best of mates previously when they played at Wigan.
Hastings agent Sam Ayoub could not be contacted for comment.
But it’s fair to say rival clubs are watching closely to see how the situation unfolds.
Hastings is also off contract at the end of next season, but if he becomes available for 2023 he will certainly attract some genuine interest

Hastings had already been shifted out of his preferred halfback position to play lock this season, with Luke Brooks and Adam Doueihi expected to be the likely halves pairing going forward if Brooks stays.

That of course will depend on whether the Tigers end up releasing Brooks to Newcastle.

Many are still convinced Brooks will end up at the Knights in 2023.

Brooks is off contract at the end of next season, as is Doueihi.

Tim Sheens had previously stated he would not release Brooks, and in fact wanted to extend him beyond next season.

But it’s also no secret Sheens is making a play to try and sign Parramatta’s Mitchell Moses for 2024 and beyond, and he has already chased but missed Cameron Munster.

Brooks is on a monster deal for 2023, in the vicinity of $1.86 million for the season :)~ so his exit would free up huge salary cap space.

When the Bateman deal gets rubber stamped it will certainly give the Tigers some serious respect in the countdown to the new year regardless of who ends up being the halves pairing.

Bateman, 29, is one of the world’s best edge backrowers and was a raging success during his time at the Canberra Raiders.

Even though it ended badly, there is no question Bateman left with plenty of admirers.

The Tigers have not made the finals since 2011, but the new look roster is really starting to create some excitement.

A month ago the Tigers had all but given up hope of doing the Bateman deal because of the huge transfer fee that Wigan had put on Bateman’s release.

But Sheens appears to have been rewarded for his persistence after continuing to work on the deal while in England for the World Cup, and it could end up a real game-changer for the battling NRL club.

On the back of the recruitment of Api Koroisau from Penrith and Isaiah Papali’i from Parramatta, it gives the Tigers plenty of X factor under the new coaching partnership of Sheens and Benji Marshall.

Bateman is also the sort of player who will no doubt help attract more players to a club that previously struggled to land any significant recruits.

Sounds like a power shift between Isaac and ayoub.

Isaac has the better players.

What a suprise Hastings not getting along with other players.

1.86 m now?

2.8 million.

I wonder if Hastings is too difficult. I don't even like posting this type of stuff. I suppose we don't really know what goes on.

It's not like we have Tommy Turbo with Garrick as a back-up is it. It's exceptionally poor.

Laurie was so good one week last season and average for a bunch of it. Doueihi has his moments but he does seem to be too slow at fullback. Staines was a backup at Penrith.

Can Laurie handle the halves ?

I'm a fence sitter but how anyone can figure out our spine for next season astounds me.
Read the articles where Sheens make comments about the game he wants the team to play.

I think Stains will kill it at fullback. Lauries a maybe, dont expect miracles first up. The other 2 will not be their at years end. If Brooks stays i see Api playing in the halves with him, till such time as Sheens buys or promotes a decent 5 and 6 ,.,. The aim i think is 2024 .
Correction i meant 7 and 6 .

Members online

No members online now.
Back