Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Just spot on.

Grunt meant our 2022 campaign was ruined. We have hired the right people at least.

Playmakers, it's like Now there is Zero excuses for the fifth year running. At least we have a known good hooker, and a halfback that at least once upon a time could perform.

Speed? Sheens will likely sort this out 2023 or 2024. We are going to play fast footy that is guaranteed.

Yes yes yes. Our kicking game has been way off and I believe Brooks is our only known kicker. That said you have both Robbie and Benji around.

I still cannot believe Jason Taylor who was one of the best kickers before Hasem El Mazri and just after Darryl Harrigan ... DID NOT TEACH OUR TEAM HOW TO KICK!
Easy 2 points forgotten.
He had Rankin 😂😂

Ok let’s do
BJ
signed by the recruitment ‘panel’ because we were desperate for a centre who could create opportunities - fail

Peachy
Signed by the recruitment panel to be the utility - fail

What was the name of the recruitment ‘guru’ we got from the roosters that got punted when Sheens appointed McDonald . He pulled the strings for recruitment

Madge 3 players for $1 mill 🤔, now Sheens can spend $2.1 mill on 3 players

Now you failed to comment on sheens sacking for his failures at previous clubs, how could that be possible if he is the messiah or is he just another Madge but with more money to buy improvement ?
You obviously love Madge and I respect that mate but surely you have to admit the whole dynamics of the club has turned around as soon as Sheens walked in the club. We were going backwards big time under Madge and personally I am happy to see him go. He did his best but his play book of 5 hit ups and chuck it to Brooks doesn’t cut it. I’m looking forward to seeing some expansive footy played under the coach that bought all of us a premiership because we have been a rable since he left.

Ok let’s do
BJ
signed by the recruitment ‘panel’ because we were desperate for a centre who could create opportunities - fail

Peachy
Signed by the recruitment panel to be the utility - fail

What was the name of the recruitment ‘guru’ we got from the roosters that got punted when Sheens appointed McDonald . He pulled the strings for recruitment

Madge 3 players for $1 mill 🤔, now Sheens can spend $2.1 mill on 3 players

Now you failed to comment on sheens sacking for his failures at previous clubs, how could that be possible if he is the messiah or is he just another Madge but with more money to buy improvement ?
Sheens deserves time as did Madge ....Potter etc

But I'm not sold on Sheens just yet ...i remember 2012 .......he would of needed an alias to get out of the country ...he was roundly hated by many WT's supporters ...we were Premiership favourites and folded like a pack of cards .....

He has the signings ...now he has to find a way to get them to

1 Gel as a team
2 Improve the Juniors
3 Hope they stay

Let’s not get carried away. Last time Sheens coached us in 2012 he failed to make finals with arguably a better squad than what we will have next year.

So far he has done a great job but a ball hasn’t been kicked and on field results are all that matter.

Keep the champagne for midnight tomorrow

Let’s not get carried away. Last time Sheens coached us in 2012 he failed to make finals with arguably a better squad than what we will have next year.

So far he has done a great job but a ball hasn’t been kicked and on field results are all that matter.

It's gotta be better than what we've had to endure these past few year.

Ok, obviously you have a serious Madge crush going on and you’re not dealing well with his failure or giving Sheens any credit for his recruitment successes. I don’t really care who coaches the side, I just want progression and hope. Under Madge there was none. In fact we got worse every year. It’s a results driven job and he failed so he had to go. End of story.
Right now, things look great in comparison and you’re sulking..?
Are you a Tigers supporter or Madge’s manager?
Sorry Junior but I was happy for Madge to be moved on, but didn’t think it was ALL his fault,
*tigers had an abysmal cap situation since the Cleary debacle, that Madge had to work with/thru
•tigers had a selection panel driven by a an ex roosters recruitment manager (now gone for McDonald) and with interference by our chairman/sponsor (Noffa says thank you)

* Sheens decisions/achievements in 2022

+unable to secure Ciraldo after sacking Madge and no other plan in place, can’t imagine Gus or Politis being that dumb

+appointing Noddy (not noddys fault) instead of one of the better qualified assistant coaches,

+releasing players from an already injury riddled team, and

+publicly declaring his focus was on 2025.

The tigers will/should improve given the change in the tigers cap position, not because of Sheens but because of the quality players we can now afford.

Sheens has failed at Nth Qld, been sacked by the tigers previously and numerous Super League sides.

Since he sacked Madge he has signed 2 players on long term deals + reserve grade player from Penrith
Bateman who has struggled in super league for the past 2 years for abt $700,000 (yea I watch super league, hope he improves, definitely needs to on recent form)
David Klemmer on a reported $800,000 for 2023 then hopefully less for the next 2 years, but should be good
The Ferrari for $500,000 for one year

I don’t think anything above is factually incorrect, but it is just my opinion/observations

This is the first year since Cleary that the tigers have been competitive in the market and Sheens is just a very lucky boy to have this advantage when he is coach + head of football, a completely different scenario to Madge’s term in charge.

The only time this club has had success is where Sheens was involved, I really can’t blame them for going back to the well and getting Sheens to mentor is his/our style. Madge had his challenges with the roster and control in the beginning but he had his team by the end and we kept sliding he was never the right fit for us and should never have been extended.

Tedesco rd1 injury didn't help.

Can't remember the season but at some point Robbie and benji in 2012 turned on him too. Boy were they proven wrong.

The only time this club has had success is where Sheens was involved, I really can’t blame them for going back to the well and getting Sheens to mentor is his/our style. Madge had his challenges with the roster and control in the beginning but he had his team by the end and we kept sliding he was never the right fit for us and should never have been extended.

Mate sheens has WT upper management kissing the ring at the moment. He's they're for 2 years and gone anyway.

They screwed the joint last 10 years and his back on his terms to fix their mess.

Madge was crap. Get over it. He'll go down in history alongside Jason Taylor and Terry Lamb as our all time worst coaches
Madge was not crap, he just could not get the players he wanted. Madge was a decent coach , however players basically did not come to the Tigers, and I suppose a lot of that came from the Taylor era. Jason Taylor and Terry Lamb, they are not coaches, those two were disasters, you would swear that they must of been employed by someone else, not by Wests Tigers. Those two disasters had the cattle , game plans seen non existent, players out of position, team selection was a big problem and they just lost a lot of talented players from all grades.

Other than Cleary, most coaches before Sheens could only afford reserve grade signings, because the cap was that far out of shape, Sheens appointment has been at a fortunate time in respect of the cap position plus recent NRL cap increase what would have been the signing outcomes if he was appointed instead of Madge 3 years ago after Cleary’s spending spree. It all needs to be put into perspective of the prevailing circumstances.
I agree with you TT. Sheens certainly picked his moment and I would agree with you except for one aspect.

If madge had shown some upwards trajectory, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I don't think the expectations were high with the inherited squad, he just delivered even lower.

Sheens also had a pretty cushy job with little accountability, but has jumped back into the fire. That's not nothing.

Last edited:
You obviously love Madge and I respect that mate but surely you have to admit the whole dynamics of the club has turned around as soon as Sheens walked in the club. We were going backwards big time under Madge and personally I am happy to see him go. He did his best but his play book of 5 hit ups and chuck it to Brooks doesn’t cut it. I’m looking forward to seeing some expansive footy played under the coach that bought all of us a premiership because we have been a rable since he left.
We were a rabble long before he left

I agree with you TT. Sheens certainly picked his moment and I would agree with you except for one aspect.

If madge had shown some upwards trajectory, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I don't think the expectations were high with the inherited squad, he just delivered even lower.
Madge done some good things we are building on.....and he truly respects our club, and Api, Paps and Ken are top signings.
Madge unlucky got hit with key injuries after those two big wins last year........and that clinched it.

In the end he was a guy who needed to inherit a strong squad and then lift them to the next level.........he was left with too much to do here.

This club needs drastic, left field tactics and personnel to get us out of this wedge we are in.

And Sheens is just the tool for the job. ;)

I wouldn’t say Sheens has done a great job here yet.
He was somewhat responsible for the 22 spoon. He embarrassed the club with his decisions surrounding the coach - past, present and future. Sure he has signed a couple of guys, and gotten rid of the right players but he hasn’t proven anything as a coach here yet.
I’m intrigued about our chances in 23 but am also very apprehensive. I too remember the cluster that was 2012 and am not convinced he can do the job.

Latest posts

Members online

Back