Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Ok it seems there are no better available halfback options for 2024 than Luke Brooks. So in the likelihood that he re-signs, it is becoming ever more likely that we will sign a current off-contract player to partner Luke in the halves (with Brandon Wakeham as our backup):

Drew Hutchison
Dean Hawkins
Blake Taafe
Brad Schneider
Kurt Falls

The only on-contract players that may be given a release I would think are Luke Metcalfe or Te Maire Martin given the Warriors plethora of halves next season.

I believe Taafe & Schneider have potential but a Metcalfe or Martin may have the edge with the experience they bring & being older may fit in better with our pathway timeline.

Fulton is apparently a big fan of Metcalfe and brings that Scott Prince type background (spruik half with injuries jeopardising early career but has speed & x-factor). Whilst Benji is a big fan of Martin - found this old article.

And we throw big dollars at Ezra Mam who is off contract next season and try to blow Broncos out of the water. But unlikely he would leave Broncos you would think.

Ok it seems there are no better available halfback options for 2024 than Luke Brooks. So in the likelihood that he re-signs, it is becoming ever more likely that we will sign a current off-contract player to partner Luke in the halves (with Brandon Wakeham as our backup):

Drew Hutchison
Dean Hawkins
Blake Taafe
Brad Schneider
Kurt Falls

The only on-contract players that may be given a release I would think are Luke Metcalfe or Te Maire Martin given the Warriors plethora of halves next season.

I believe Taafe & Schneider have potential but a Metcalfe or Martin may have the edge with the experience they bring & being older may fit in better with our pathway timeline.

Fulton is apparently a big fan of Metcalfe and brings that Scott Prince type background (spruik half with injuries jeopardising early career but has speed & x-factor). Whilst Benji is a big fan of Martin - found this old article.
I would be very happy with Metcalfe. Solid player with plenty of upside.

Mataulino was very good, when fit. Cleary signed smart. Even Packer was a smart signing. The issue was CLEARY LEAVING.

Mataulino's knee was the only thing that stopped him & he medically retired instead of holding on. Packer was ALWAYS Cleary's guy, and once Ivan left, Packer lost his way. Maguire never really clicked with him obviously & the rest is history.

Cleary's signings were not bad. Josh Reynolds, when he was on the field, was very good. What made Reynolds a bad signing? Re-signing Benji. It had to be one or the other, or let Brooks go.

Cleary had a plan. He just bailed once a better one became available.

Taylor wasn't popular, but he had zero funds & a poor squad & a core group of players with a manager that notoriously causes issues. He wasn't exciting, but he can develop & spot talent. He's also responsible for Alex Twal being a Tiger- and got some of the best out of him too.
Disagree with your take on Josh Reynolds. He was absolutely dreadful for us. He ran around like a chook with it's head cut off, quite often just rushed out of the defensive line, missed then left his teammates with a massive hole and played selfishly. He'd always try the hero play for himself at the team's expense

yea, I mean the technical skills were "there". People management was awful. I reckon we may have kept the 'big 3' if we had Ivan Cleary or Sheens at the helm then.
Not to mention letting JAC go for nothing , not even an offer apparently.

Reactions: 851

Drew Hutchison
Dean Hawkins
Blake Taafe
Brad Schneider
Kurt Falls

I think that Pearce is still a chance for next year, and I wouldn't rule us out of going hard for Ben Hunt if he decides to part ways with SGI. Schneider I like but he may be difficult to prise away from Canberra in the wake of Wighton leaving. I don't think he would leave unless we offer him week-to-week first grade either.

Hawkins I'd put a line through. Taaffe potentially as a replacement for Laurie and to fill the 14 but not as a halfback. Falls sucks. Hutchison is Robbo's pet.

Metcalf would be an excellent addition but getting him out of NZ may prove difficult. I think he'd be perfect for the style of footy we want to play tho.

The thing is with most of the nsw cup level halves mentioned for next year is that Wakeham was playing better then them in NSW cup over the last year or 2 and he will have had a full season in first grade playing with our team building combinations - so if that's all that is out their then you would be better off sticking with Wakeham.

The thing is with most of the nsw cup level halves mentioned for next year is that Wakeham was playing better then them in NSW cup over the last year or 2 and he will have had a full season in first grade playing with our team building combinations - so if that's all that is out their then you would be better off sticking with Wakeham.
agreed. happy to stick with Wakes as the back up half. ideally we find a 7 and shift Brooks to 6 or find a 6 that will complement what Brooks is doing at the moment. I'm not entirely sure on what is available and who we end up with but we most definitely need a decent half. Metcalf, Pearce and Hunt would be the ones I'd be trying to bring over. we are all aware of Benji's obsession with Schuster, I don't think he'll give up in his pursuit.

Reactions: 851
I think that Pearce is still a chance for next year, and I wouldn't rule us out of going hard for Ben Hunt if he decides to part ways with SGI. Schneider I like but he may be difficult to prise away from Canberra in the wake of Wighton leaving. I don't think he would leave unless we offer him week-to-week first grade either.

Hawkins I'd put a line through. Taaffe potentially as a replacement for Laurie and to fill the 14 but not as a halfback. Falls sucks. Hutchison is Robbo's pet.

Metcalf would be an excellent addition but getting him out of NZ may prove difficult. I think he'd be perfect for the style of footy we want to play tho.
Metcalf was very poor on the weekend should nothing was shaky in defence, don’t thinks he’s a 1st grade player

Metcalf was very poor on the weekend should nothing was shaky in defence, don’t thinks he’s a 1st grade player
it was his first game back after an injury layoff and some time in Cup, he'll be better for the shakedown. he's a very good player. Volkman is obviously THE gun half in that system but they'd make SJ retire before giving him up.

I wonder if Te Maire Martin may be an option if he asked for a release. Signed for 24 & 25 but you'd think long-term he will be behind Johnson, Tavita Harris, Metcalf, Walker & Volkman.

Could be a good solid 5/8 with experience who idolised Benji and Benji also rated highly before his brain bleed.

I wonder if Te Maire Martin may be an option if he asked for a release. Signed for 24 & 25 but you'd think long-term he will be behind Johnson, Tavita Harris, Metcalf, Walker & Volkman.

Could be a good solid 5/8 with experience who idolised Benji and Benji also rated highly before his brain bleed.
This is a winner for me and won’t break the bank

I'd take either Metcalf or TMM. NZ have far too many halves on their books and their squad needs pruning. given Metcalf is from Sydney originally I think he's probably pretty likely.

Back