Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I'd take either Metcalf or TMM. NZ have far too many halves on their books and their squad needs pruning. given Metcalf is from Sydney originally I think he's probably pretty likely.

I'm really perplexed as to where this Metcalf talk comes from....
Reaching at it's best!!

The kid can play, But any calls for him are based off less than a dozen games in the NRL - total!!
And like, 2 games in the last 18 months....
He might replace a Wakeman type,
But he's not getting a gig as a starting (certainly senior) half at any club in the immediate future.

Te Maire would be the best bet - He's got that class about him.....
But even he struggles to stay on the park (We already have AD for that)

The Warriors have also re-signed Chanel Harris-Tevita. Serious logjam for them in the halves & spine positions with Tuivasa-Sheck returning. Walker's already got the 14 role.

Between Martin and Volkman we really should be looking to land one of them. Volkman being from Sydney should give us an edge there, assuming his plan would be to return and play first grade.

Mataulino was very good, when fit. Cleary signed smart. Even Packer was a smart signing. The issue was CLEARY LEAVING.

Mataulino's knee was the only thing that stopped him & he medically retired instead of holding on. Packer was ALWAYS Cleary's guy, and once Ivan left, Packer lost his way. Maguire never really clicked with him obviously & the rest is history.

Cleary's signings were not bad. Josh Reynolds, when he was on the field, was very good. What made Reynolds a bad signing? Re-signing Benji. It had to be one or the other, or let Brooks go.

Cleary had a plan. He just bailed once a better one became available.

Taylor wasn't popular, but he had zero funds & a poor squad & a core group of players with a manager that notoriously causes issues. He wasn't exciting, but he can develop & spot talent. He's also responsible for Alex Twal being a Tiger- and got some of the best out of him too.
I have watched the Tigers for more than 50 years, Taylor is hands down the worst coach I have ever seen coach us. Played Rankin ahead of Josh Aldo Carr (and then let him leave), sidelined Brooks and Farah, game plan was to give it to Moses. Remember the comment ' too many cooks can spoil the broth'? Dropped Farah when he was the State of Origin hooker! Remember when he played Kyle Lovett at centre and left Chris Lawrence in the back row? Whare burned Lovett 4 times on his outside and setup 4 tries before Lawrence was switched to centre. Taylor had Woods, Moses Tedesco, Brooks and Farah in his team yet his tactics were - one off the ruck (repeat 5 times), kick. Signed Jamal Idris, Jordan Rankin, Matt Ballin and Chris McQueen, (both after serious injuries).

I have watched the Tigers for more than 50 years, Taylor is hands down the worst coach I have ever seen coach us. Played Rankin ahead of Josh Aldo Carr (and then let him leave), sidelined Brooks and Farah, game plan was to give it to Moses. Remember the comment ' too many cooks can spoil the broth'? Dropped Farah when he was the State of Origin hooker! Remember when he played Kyle Lovett at centre and left Chris Lawrence in the back row? Whare burned Lovett 4 times on his outside and setup 4 tries before Lawrence was switched to centre. Taylor had Woods, Moses Tedesco, Brooks and Farah in his team yet his tactics were - one off the ruck (repeat 5 times), kick. Signed Jamal Idris, Jordan Rankin, Matt Ballin and Chris McQueen, (both after serious injuries).
Totally agree. Add to that, Jason Taylor is one of the most arrogant and unlikeable people going round too

He had the origin hooker in reserve grade, his great signing the busted Ballin in the grandstand, ET at hooker, when ET needed a rest, Rankin from wing to hooker, secondrow to centre and centre to wing to cover what would have been no interchange if Farah was playing. This bloke had absolutely no idea what he was doing, and the worst people skills of any coach ever

Last edited:
I was disappointed in Daine Laurie's game yesterday. I can understand his disappointment at being in the NSW Cup but he needs to respond in a positive way. Things didn't happen for him yesterday and sometimes that happens. He needs to regain his confidence and self belief.
He needs a new club or UK Super League

He had the origin hooker in reserve grade, his great signing the busted Ballin in the grand stand, ET at hooker, when ET needed a rest, Rankin from wing to hooker, secondrow to centre and centre to wing to cover what would have been no interchange if Farah was playing. This bloke had absolutely no idea what he was doing, and the worst people skills of any coach ever
Holy shit I forgot the Ballin debacle. Right up there with the worst contract in history.

Mataulino was very good, when fit. Cleary signed smart. Even Packer was a smart signing. The issue was CLEARY LEAVING.

Mataulino's knee was the only thing that stopped him & he medically retired instead of holding on. Packer was ALWAYS Cleary's guy, and once Ivan left, Packer lost his way. Maguire never really clicked with him obviously & the rest is history.

Cleary's signings were not bad. Josh Reynolds, when he was on the field, was very good. What made Reynolds a bad signing? Re-signing Benji. It had to be one or the other, or let Brooks go.

Cleary had a plan. He just bailed once a better one became available.

Taylor wasn't popular, but he had zero funds & a poor squad & a core group of players with a manager that notoriously causes issues. He wasn't exciting, but he can develop & spot talent. He's also responsible for Alex Twal being a Tiger- and got some of the best out of him too.
They ‘may’ have been good signing but not on the $$$ or duration of their contracts. The constant injury of at least 3 of the 4 just further compromised the value of the signings.

He had the origin hooker in reserve grade, his great signing the busted Ballin in the grand stand, ET at hooker, when ET needed a rest, Rankin from wing to hooker, secondrow to centre and centre to wing to cover what would have been no interchange if Farah was playing. This bloke had absolutely no idea what he was doing, and the worst people skills of any coach ever
Put a personal vendetta ahead of what was best for the team. Even when it was clear Balin was cooked he picked Dean Halatau and Elijah Taylor ahead of Farah for the shared DH role. Completely lost the respect of players at this club and others.

Members online

Back