Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I’d say you are right that they are concerned about his lateral defence, it can be the only reason he hasn’t played NRL as yet.
That to me is like when our coach at the time stated Josh Addo-Carr was not being selected for our NRL side as he was worried about his defence, even though he was scoring length of the field tries every week for our reserve team.
I believe the impact James would add would far outweigh any defensive liability.
Twal, Klemmer, Utoikamanu and Pole are all doing well. Who would you replace to put him in the 17?

Reactions: 851
Twal, Klemmer, Utoikamanu and Pole are all doing well. Who would you replace to put him in the 17?
None of them. Joffa was mostly coming on and playing prop, so James could in effect take over that role vacated by Joffa.
We constantly select Keparoa and only play him for 10-15 minutes at best.

I’m happy enough for him to be in the top 30 on an appropriate fraction of the salary cap. You don’t need to move on from every player who isn’t a gun. Still need players to fill rolls in your top 30 and if there aren’t young forwards banging the door down happy to resign him on a short term deal. He is fine as depth but we aren’t moving too far up the table if he is in the best 17. Still time for him to improve, though.

Yeah Agree

Would Frtizell be happy to sign as a depth player?
He is not priority signing ATM as IP, Bateman and Pole are among our best players. And we have Matamua, Blore, Simpkins...
We need to prioritise, and spend our resources on fixing our weaknesses first, not to sign any player that may be available.
Our biggest weaknesses are halves, and we have to concentrate on getting BETTER players than Brooks and Wakeham. 🐅 💪
I think this thinking is off.

See Brooks. Last year, 2022 if we offered Brooks a 550k contract then many on the forum would be calling us mad. Now we offer him a 550k contract and many are saying it's too low.

Brooks behind a weak pack SUCKS as a half. Thurston always played behind the Cows pack (which was always HUGE), Cleary behind a Monster Penrith pack and he could do so much... Adam Reynolds with Micheal Croker, Several Burgess, etc. DCE -> Manly.

Andrew Johns usually had Kennedy in the forwards. The only half that I can think of not playing behind a monster pack is Cooper Cronk/Jerome hugues who well play behind a very aggressive pack.

So:
Do you want to hire a good halfback and wonder why they are struggling all season?
OR
Do we want to keep beefing up our forward pack and see what Juniors we can mould into the position? We have Sheens + Marshall on staff.

I want our halfbacks to succeed. Sign Tyson Frizzel.

I think this thinking is off.

See Brooks. Last year, 2022 if we offered Brooks a 550k contract then many on the forum would be calling us mad. Now we offer him a 550k contract and many are saying it's too low.

Brooks behind a weak pack SUCKS as a half. Thurston always played behind the Cows pack (which was always HUGE), Cleary behind a Monster Penrith pack and he could do so much... Adam Reynolds with Micheal Croker, Several Burgess, etc. DCE -> Manly.

Andrew Johns usually had Kennedy in the forwards. The only half that I can think of not playing behind a monster pack is Cooper Cronk/Jerome hugues who well play behind a very aggressive pack.

So:
Do you want to hire a good halfback and wonder why they are struggling all season?
OR
Do we want to keep beefing up our forward pack and see what Juniors we can mould into the position? We have Sheens + Marshall on staff.

I want our halfbacks to succeed. Sign Tyson Frizzel.
Frizell boat has sailed. He is negotiating his future with the Knights.

You would think the NRL are placing themself in a deep hole legally. They have a bucket full of rules they have introduced over the past few years to protect the attacking player because the risk of a legal case is very real due to the effects of head injury.

On the other hand the guy doing The defending has very little rules to protect him and I guess most head injuries happen while defending. As the rule stands today I did not see ant obvious force applied or any leading elbow so it was a legal tackle

None of them. Joffa was mostly coming on and playing prop, so James could in effect take over that role vacated by Joffa.
We constantly select Keparoa and only play him for 10-15 minutes at best.
Kepaoa came on at right centre so Toa could switch to 5/8. It is very handy having a utility on the bench who can play both in the second row or centre.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water.......

The Canterbury Bulldogs have targeted Tyson Frizell after missing out on teammate Daniel Saifiti.

Stuck in a three-club tug-of-war with the Tigers and Knights, the Bulldogs have tried to lure away Frizell from Newcastle despite the forward insisting he wants to remain loyal to the Knights.

News Corp reported that Frizell met with Bulldogs officials last week and has also spoken to the Tigers, gathering his options. However, the Knights have tabled a multi-year contract to keep him at the club.
While the Knights are eager to keep Frizell, it seems that Jack Hethering and Adam Elliott are on the outs at the clubs and could be moved on at the end of the season to keep some money in the salary cap.

Signed from the Raiders last season, News Corp has stated that various clubs have been made aware that he is available. This comes after playing just a few months into his three-year deal.

While the Bulldogs target Frizell, they also targeted Daniel Saifiti earlier this year. Contracted until the end of 2026, the Knights have made it clear to the Bulldogs and other clubs that they won't be letting the front-rower go early, according to News Corp.

Reactions: 851
You would think the NRL are placing themself in a deep hole legally. They have a bucket full of rules they have introduced over the past few years to protect the attacking player because the risk of a legal case is very real due to the effects of head injury.

On the other hand the guy doing The defending has very little rules to protect him and I guess most head injuries happen while defending. As the rule stands today I did not see ant obvious force applied or any leading elbow so it was a legal tackle
I'm amazed that
crushers
hip drops
cannonballs
shoulder charges
prowlers
head shots
punches
attacking kicker legs
attacking kicker midair
attacking catcher midair
late hit on passer
past the horizontal
lifting the knees

Have all been aggressively policed out of the game in just the last few years, but raising "your bumpers" is still OK. "Bumpers" being a euphemism for forearms, as if a forearm shot is safe or unavoidable.

The question remains why is Tino F repeatedly cited at risk of making illegal contact, and JWH frequently referenced as a repeat borderline offender, but the other 398 players who take the field every season don't seem to have a repeat problem with raised forearms?

There is no doubt at all, none, no question mark on whether Tino raises his forearms as he makes contact with the defender. I have no idea what the match review committee were watching, when they say his arms were by his side at he point of contact, and I took a very clear screenshot, side on, of Tino with forearms 90 degrees to his body, making face contact with the defender.

Of course he probably doesn't intend to break Koroisau's jaw, but I would suspect the damage is not just done at the initial point of contact, it's done also on the follow-through (same as a pulled punch does less damage than a punch with full weight behind it, or how tackling a leg is not the same as a leg to the face). Tino 100% lifts and follows through behind his forearms, i.e. his forearms are an unavoidable point of contact and he channels his running force behind those forearms. It's basically an MMA tactic.

Here's the footage again
chrome-capture-2023-5-10.gif
You tell me how it's incidental that Tino props, makes initial contact with his forearms (before any other body part), 100% lifts his forearms and pushes through the Koroisau tackle, and does this so hard that he ends up with an open palm to Api's face.

And let me remind that the MRC comment, from Luke Patten, was that initial contact was made with Tino's arms against his body. And here is the initial contact, where Tino's arms are anything but tucked, they are almost 90 degrees which is a charging motion.
1686375530168.png

Here's the footage again
View attachment 5633
You tell me how it's incidental that Tino props, makes initial contact with his forearms (before any other body part), 100% lifts his forearms and pushes through the Koroisau tackle, and does this so hard that he ends up with an open palm to Api's face.

And let me remind that the MRC comment, from Luke Patten, was that initial contact was made with Tino's arms against his body. And here is the initial contact, where Tino's arms are anything but tucked, they are almost 90 degrees which is a charging motion.
View attachment 5634
A useful tool to judge an issue is “the pub test” and letting Tino off Scott free doesn’t pass the pub test.
Luke Payten and Co you failed.

Also just for reference, Tino DID get cited for this strike on Mahoney, same camera angle, same technique of leading with the forearms and body angled behind, putting all power through his forearms and impossible to avoid the forearms point of contact (except by a tackle below the waist).
1686376330005.png

A useful tool to judge an issue is “the pub test” and letting Tino off Scott free doesn’t pass the pub test.
Luke Payten and Co you failed.
Well there are all these muppets that will tell you "it's bad technique" or "it's a contact sport" or "he should learn to tackle low" - and those will come up in the pub just as often.

And that's all fine, except tackling Tino low 100% of the time means he will offload 90% of the time. And it puts you at risk of raised knees or hips (a majority of concussed defenders are from attempted low tackles).

And "it's a contact sport" as a major argument of the unhinged and untoothed, which is fine if they aren't simultaneously outlawing crushers, hip drops, late tackles, late hits, shoulder charges etc.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back